Josh McGuire - Backrow

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I wish Griffin would get McGuire off at about the twenty metre mark and run Kennedy on with Wallace displacing Parker. Keep Parker on, move him back to lock. I see McGuire as a second rower, one who is just too light for the front row. He obviously has a big motor so leave him unchanged in the second row. Failing that I would prefer to have the heavier Hannant and Kennedy start and have them go as hard as they can until they start blowing too hard then relieve them with Wallace and McGuire. No matter how it's arranged however I just hate seeing a guy like McGuire who is just a tad too light and a tad too small being used as a battering ram.

He is tough enough no doubt but his best attributes are wasted, namely his agility and his endurance. Someone like Hannant is perfect for the job, he doesn't need to do anything other than run hard and straight and he has always been pretty good at defending in the tough stuff.

Re: Round 24 - Broncos vs Knights - Post Match Discussion

Hannant and McGuire are the same weight... 106 Kgs

I wish Griffin would get McGuire off at about the twenty metre mark and run Kennedy on with Wallace displacing Parker. Keep Parker on, move him back to lock. I see McGuire as a second rower, one who is just too light for the front row. He obviously has a big motor so leave him unchanged in the second row. Failing that I would prefer to have the heavier Hannant and Kennedy start and have them go as hard as they can until they start blowing too hard then relieve them with Wallace and McGuire. No matter how it's arranged however I just hate seeing a guy like McGuire who is just a tad too light and a tad too small being used as a battering ram.

He is tough enough no doubt but his best attributes are wasted, namely his agility and his endurance. Someone like Hannant is perfect for the job, he doesn't need to do anything other than run hard and straight and he has always been pretty good at defending in the tough stuff.

McGuire is a prop

Hannant and McGuire are the same weight... 106 Kgs
Splitting hairs but Broncos website has him (Hannant )listed a little heavier than McGuire. Even Thaiday is considerably heavier than McGuire who ,in my opinion is just too lightweight to be an effective prop. I know he plays front row, who doesn't but I reckon he would be better in the second row. McGuire just doesn't bend the line, he doesn't hurt the opposition when in possession unlike someone like WhareaHargreaves(sic).. More a pop gun than a bazooka

Splitting hairs but Broncos website has him (Hannant )listed a little heavier than McGuire. Even Thaiday is considerably heavier than McGuire who ,in my opinion is just too lightweight to be an effective prop. I know he plays front row, who doesn't but I reckon he would be better in the second row. McGuire just doesn't bend the line, he doesn't hurt the opposition when in possession unlike someone like WhareaHargreaves(sic).. More a pop gun than a bazooka

Vidot bends the line more than any of our props. I think he is 104 kgs.

Size does not necessarily equal strength and power.

At the same time, clever prop play always can mean you pass the ball before you die with it.

For mine, if you can't go through them, you go around them, and the critical plays we demand of our props is to attack in defence with line speed which is our single biggest weakness.

Just watch the Cows destroy Souths composure in attack with their line speed in defence. Aside from utterly dominating the middle with their defence, they completely shut down Inglis.

It's line speed in defence (and not missing tackles) which destroys an opposition's attack in the middle

Last edited:

Yes, he is

Childlike response and I'm hardly better for indulging you. Lacking the capacity to reason you add a complete irrelevance. What are you, ten ?

I don't view McGuire as a fringe forward at all. He looks right at home in the middle third of the field. I don't think he has the right attributes to be a second rower running on the fringes.

Childlike response and I'm hardly better for indulging you. Lacking the capacity to reason you add a complete irrelevance. What are you, ten ?

I responded the exact same way you did, accept I said 'yes' instead of 'no'. So my response was childlike due to the word yes?

McGuire is a prop. He is the same size as Hannant (who is also a prop). His style of play is that of a prop, he has been playing as a prop almost all of his first grade career and he is the best prop we have at the club.

He is a middle forward, his best work is charging through the middle and talking his heart. He is not an edge runner.

Taking all that into account how do you not class him as a prop?

No,he isn't

McG regularly runs over a 100 metres a game in the front row and you think he isn't a real prop?

Vidot bends the line more than any of our props. I think he is 104 kgs.

Size does not necessarily equal strength and power.

just for the sake of it, he's still around 112kg i believe. this was from april:

"Having tipped the scales at 115 kilograms midway through 2013, Vidot told NRL.com that he is now weighing in at 112kg, still a far cry from the 105kg that he is listed at on the website and a couple of kilograms heavier than he would like himself."

Not bothered either way but for what is worth, he doesn't bend the line, he doesn't hurt when in possession or attack. He's fast and agile and I'd use him differently,deal with it, it's my opinion. If McGuire were more like traditional front rowers I'd call him a frontrower but he is more like a second rower.

As for you b4 life I was referring to your initial childlike response not your pathetic second effort. Like I said, fool me for indulging you.

Not bothered either way but for what is worth, he doesn't bend the line, he doesn't hurt when in possession or attack. He's fast and agile and I'd use him differently,deal with it, it's my opinion. If McGuire were more like traditional front rowers I'd call him a frontrower but he is more like a second rower.

As for you b4 life I was referring to your initial childlike response not your pathetic second effort. Like I said, fool me for indulging you.

He doesn't play like a second rower either though.

What? saying ''He is a prop''. Sorry if having a different opinion than you is childlike, but that's not going to change.

If you want to call someone else a child and maintain some kind of high ground, you might want to steer clear of insults like childlike and pathetic.

Why is disagreeing with your opinion seemingly so offensive to you. We all have our own opinions and all anyone has tried to do is explain theirs to you.

Huge isn't far off the mark when it comes to McGuire.

It reminds me of rna's opinion of Copley as a fullback. There are certainly qualities there and he did spend some time in the juniors as a fullback but in regards to where he plays his best football, it's centre.

Similar deal with McGuire. Josh actually started off as a winger before spending the bulk of his juniors as a backrow. In 2008, Hook converted him into the front-row where I found him strangely inconsistent but on his day, he was the best front-row we had coming through.

I believe it comes through from time to time. For instance, Josh has plenty of skills that have rarely been sighted since being promoted to first grade and his defence isn't as strong as other forwards.

It's also apart of the reason why Glenn & Gillett aren't naturally strong defenders. They spent the bulk of their development as backs before moving into the pack quite late.

I find it difficult to envision McGuire as a fringe runner, especially when I feel we already have so many strong candidates in the side such as Glenn, Gillett, Thaiday & Oates but I wouldn't be surprised to see him replace Parker as a lock forward with a few other prop forwards coming through to allow that move.

I also wouldn't mind him getting the odd run at the fringe. I believe one element that a lot of teams are missing is that of surprise. Teams these days study so much tape that they basically know what's infront of them, it's really just a battle of attrition and patience more often than not. Giving McGuire the odd run on the right fringe could produce plenty of benefits.

Huge isn't far off the mark when it comes to McGuire.

It reminds me of rna's opinion of Copley as a fullback. There are certainly qualities there and he did spend some time in the juniors as a fullback but in regards to where he plays his best football, it's centre.

Similar deal with McGuire. Josh actually started off as a winger before spending the bulk of his juniors as a backrow. In 2008, Hook converted him into the front-row where I found him strangely inconsistent but on his day, he was the best front-row we had coming through.

I believe it comes through from time to time. For instance, Josh has plenty of skills that have rarely been sighted since being promoted to first grade and his defence isn't as strong as other forwards.

It's also apart of the reason why Glenn & Gillett aren't naturally strong defenders. They spent the bulk of their development as backs before moving into the pack quite late.

I find it difficult to envision McGuire as a fringe runner, especially when I feel we already have so many strong candidates in the side such as Glenn, Gillett, Thaiday & Oates but I wouldn't be surprised to see him replace Parker as a lock forward with a few other prop forwards coming through to allow that move.

I also wouldn't mind him getting the odd run at the fringe. I believe one element that a lot of teams are missing is that of surprise. Teams these days study so much tape that they basically know what's infront of them, it's really just a battle of attrition and patience more often than not. Giving McGuire the odd run on the right fringe could produce plenty of benefits.

Thanks for that info BP ! I never knew about Josh's history and mostly I thought he was light on his feet and resilient with a big motor as they say. I'm a bit old fashioned insomuch as I like the idea of two gorillas to start, certainly the first twenty minutes or so before bringing on the lesser lights. I notice nobody is running down your post although it could be read as being largely supportive of my supposedly crazy idea.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • ivanhungryjak
  • broncsgoat
  • Maroon4life
  • mitch222
  • scobie
  • Ozired
  • Sproj
  • NSW stables
  • GCBRONCO
  • Broncosgirl
  • leon.bott
  • Wolfie
  • Foordy
  • Xzei
  • Broncorob
  • Allo
  • winslow_wong
  • BroncosAlways
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.