Josh McGuire - Backrow

Re: Round 24 - Broncos vs Knights - Post Match Discussion

If Moa is 105kg then I'll eat chicken for a month.

I agree with you about a prop's primary purpose.

Who would you have - Josh or Matt Scott, or Jesse Bromwich?

Scott > Bromwich > McGuire.

You are all absolutely right, totally and completely. I'd still have him as a second rower. Oddly, he's not half the prop that Danny Nutley was, second only to the great Steve Price in every stat when the stats didn't lie because they had the worlds best prop at number one. Perhaps as a lock after Parker retires but as a second rower till then, but hey, you are all totally right and I'm totally wrong. I hope that satisfies your need to be right. Best thing is we'll never know because just like me, none of you will ever get to select the team. What would be funny though is next year, what would you all say if WB put him back to second row ...course it'll never happen but.....

this argument is just getting weird.

for the record i dont see any 'second-row' in mcguire, given that second rowers these days are generally edge hole runners with a bit of ball playing/offload ability/a decent step/some kind of attacking skill.

mcguire does the tough stuff in the middle. i said a week ago to be a top class prop he needs to develop an offload but its not critical at this point in time.

You are all absolutely right, totally and completely. I'd still have him as a second rower. Oddly, he's not half the prop that Danny Nutley was, second only to the great Steve Price in every stat when the stats didn't lie because they had the worlds best prop at number one. Perhaps as a lock after Parker retires but as a second rower till then, but hey, you are all totally right and I'm totally wrong. I hope that satisfies your need to be right. Best thing is we'll never know because just like me, none of you will ever get to select the team. What would be funny though is next year, what would you all say if WB put him back to second row ...course it'll never happen but.....

Mate we are having a discussion, why do you have to turn it into who's right and wrong?

In regards to your question, if WB put him as an edge runner I would say he has lost his mind... but like you say it will never happen. I still don't understand what you are trying to say...

Mate we are having a discussion, why do you have to turn it into who's right and wrong?

In regards to your question, if WB put him as an edge runner I would say he has lost his mind... but like you say it will never happen. I still don't understand what you are trying to say...

Its simple ...every poster is telling me I'm wrong, and I can live with that ! I'm not turning the discussion into anything, it has been that from the start. Every poster disagrees with me as is their right. It's even possible I am wrong but I doubt most here would say the same of themselves because their opinions agree thus reinforcing their belief they are ' correct '. So you may well be too but that may mean the prevailing opinion is always correct but history tells us otherwise. Once the world agreed the Earth was flat and the Sun revolved around the Earth and the lone dissenters were told in no uncertain terms that they were wrong. I think I've seen enough of McGuire to form the opinion that he would be very successful as a second rower, let me have my delusion .

Its simple ...every poster is telling me I'm wrong, and I can live with that ! I'm not turning the discussion into anything, it has been that from the start. Every poster disagrees with me as is their right. It's even possible I am wrong but I doubt most here would say the same of themselves because their opinions agree thus reinforcing their belief they are ' correct '. So you may well be too but that may mean the prevailing opinion is always correct but history tells us otherwise. Once the world agreed the Earth was flat and the Sun revolved around the Earth and the lone dissenters were told in no uncertain terms that they were wrong. I think I've seen enough of McGuire to form the opinion that he would be very successful as a second rower, let me have my delusion .

ok...

I agree with Huge that none of our props seem to bend the line. It was most noticeable against the bigger sides like the warriors and the rabbitohs.
We just get wrapped up and thrown backwards.

I don't know how many kgs any of the props in the game are, so I don't know if it's to do with size or just lack of aggression, but if we had bigger, angrier blokes, I'd pick them ahead of McGuire for the front row. He'd be excellent as a first drop prop or starting in the second row.

I beg to differ against Souths.

McGuire was constantly causing them all sorts in the middle of the field and was right up there as one of the best on the field.

Against the Warriors, our forwards suffered because the referees were blind to the Warriors holding on for an eternity. Hard to really bend the line when one team is allowed to drag and push back without so much as a penalty for the majority of the contest.

I beg to differ against Souths.

McGuire was constantly causing them all sorts in the middle of the field and was right up there as one of the best on the field.

Against the Warriors, our forwards suffered because the referees were blind to the Warriors holding on for an eternity. Hard to really bend the line when one team is allowed to drag and push back without so much as a penalty for the majority of the contest.

Agree.

In regards to the refs letting them get away with too much it is spot on and we are never going to get that leniency until the coach does like tooves, Bellamy, maguire, Robinson etc. and give it to the refs post match.

Right or wrong it puts the refs on notice and when it comes to holding down and the wrestle etc. the refs will always give them more leeway because the know if the don't they will cop it.

McGuire bends the line more than any of our other middle third players...except maybe Hala, with his 1 run a month.

It isn't about whinging in press conferences.

It's about getting three men into the tackle on a constant basis and giving the referees the impression that you're moving as quickly as possible.

Brisbane have yet to perfect the three men tackle and it's hurt them big time.

I'd just like to point out that no player of ours bends the line more than Daniel Vidot, who doesn't just bend the line, but allows the line to jump on him so he can move it 5m.

I'd just like to point out that no player of ours bends the line more than Daniel Vidot, who doesn't just bend the line, but allows the line to jump on him so he can move it 5m.
I don't believe it's a coincidence that he's a good deal heavier than all in our side with the exception of Kennedy ( certainly of the regulars )

It isn't about whinging in press conferences.

It's about getting three men into the tackle on a constant basis and giving the referees the impression that you're moving as quickly as possible.

Brisbane have yet to perfect the three men tackle and it's hurt them big time.

It certainly has.

On that note though, the Knights game is the first I can remember (in a long time) where we did dominate in that area and weren't penalised.

Generally we get pinged for it big time (Thaiday especially), but I don't recall us being penalised once? Felt a little dirty to be honest...

Gonna have to agree to disagree then.

I don't think oppositions are too concerned with any of our forwards other than Parker, which is more to do with his offloads anyway. We're easily handled by quality sides, and we're two big angry guys short of a permanent top 4 spot IMO.

McGuire bends the line more than any of our other middle third players...except maybe Hala, with his 1 run a month.

For mine, Parker is our only forward who regularly bends the line (and offloads) apart from Gillett - 23 offloads.

I don't care what anyone says. A "lightweight" prop who offloads and passes at the line is exactly how the majority of their running game ought ot be played given our quality halves and top class edge forwards and outside backs.

Every time the ball gets out of the middle, we look seriously dangerous on both sides now that Barba is at 5/8.

I forget who said it, and what game it was, but what was said was that when the losers decided to use their mobile and lighter pack up the middle against a heavier, stronger but less mobile pack, "they played right into our hands" and we dominated the ruck and won the match.

We need to keep the game on the edges and out wide, and to do that, we need our forwards passing the ball at the line as often as possible.

And get Thaiday out of the fucking middle

McGuire is a stronger runner than Parker, but yes, Parker provides that excellent second phase play that's sadly not being used to it's full potential.

Gonna have to agree to disagree then.

I don't think oppositions are too concerned with any of our forwards other than Parker, which is more to do with his offloads anyway. We're easily handled by quality sides, and we're two big angry guys short of a permanent top 4 spot IMO.

Yep....our forwards have no intimidation factor at all. They get easily monstered off the park.

Been banging on for a while now that we should be looking at getting a big talented up and coming prop.

Active Now

• Ondi
  • Kev_Guz
  • Lurker
  • Tim K
  • Dash
  • Foordy
  • Old Mate
  • Thelmus
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Financeguy
  • Justwin
  • TimWhatley
  • Spoon
  • Bucking Beads
  • Wolfie
  • FACTHUNT
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.