Josh McGuire - Backrow

Corey Oates should get a starting spot in the backrow before we move McG there. The earlier Oates starts getting regular game time at his age, the better.

Re: Round 24 - Broncos vs Knights - Post Match Discussion

Yep....our forwards have no intimidation factor at all. They get easily monstered off the park.

Been banging on for a while now that we should be looking at getting a big talented up and coming prop.

Whilst I did have some reservations at first and still do to some extent, surely you'd have to agree that Mitch Garbutt fits the bill.

Re: Round 24 - Broncos vs Knights - Post Match Discussion

Whilst I did have some reservations at first and still do to some extent, surely you'd have to agree that Mitch Garbutt fits the bill.

Not quite sold yet on the talented part......but that's through my lack of knowledge about him. He's certainly big enough

...I hope you're right.

Kennedy is starting to play some half decent footy and Garbutt must be pretty stoked to be debuting in first grade under Wayne Bennett. I wouldn't be hugely concerned about having big props.

That said, I stand by my opinion we need one more to really bolster out pack like Kasiano.

Let's see...

8. Josh McGuire
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Martin Kennedy
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. Corey Parker

14. Sam Thaiday
15. Ben Hannant
16. Mitch Garbutt
17. Sam Kasiano

Salary cap? What salary cap?

Let's see...

8. Josh McGuire
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Martin Kennedy
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. Corey Parker

14. Sam Thaiday
15. Ben Hannant
16. Mitch Garbutt
17. Sam Kasiano

Let Gillett go to make room. He hasn't had a decent game since we beat Manly and even then, it was strictly decent and not amazing.

You know it's true, Pete. Matty's been playing well below what his representative profile would suggest and it's been happening for awhile.

Gillett is a star of the team and is capable of something most other forwards aren't capable of - creating try scoring opportunities.

He isn't the first player in line to be replaced nor should any of our players be replaced for an inconsistent player like Sam Kasiano.

It doesn't matter because...

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's see...

8. Josh McGuire
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Martin Kennedy
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. Corey Parker

14. Sam Thaiday
15. Ben Hannant
16. Mitch Garbutt
17. Sam Kasiano

Well tbh....there's no big money name there. (or at least deserves to be) sans Parker

The increasing cap too is worth remembering.

I don't get it. All Josh has done since 2009 is run hard and straight. He really hasn't shown any other skills that a second rower would need like hole running, a passing game etc. Also I know that we are buying some more props but our second row stocks are ridiculous and our prop stocks are minimal at best. And Josh would still be our best prop.

It wouldn't be hard for McGuire to be our best prop. Look at his competition.

An overpaid gentle giant, a bloke that was called the next Webcke but didn't live up to his potential and a bunch of rookies.

I guess you could include Parker in that list, but he is not a prop.

Last edited:
Front row (or rather middle third) seems to be very underrated in general. Some teams win games just off the back of those players.

As long as he keeps his leg-speed at the line, he can stay at prop.

Gus Gould once said "speed is power" and this is what makes MacGuire capable of playing the front row .... not his size.

And I heard a good big man will beat a good little man.....Gus Gould...just last week during commentary....Gould says a lot, what a person hears is another matter.

Last edited:
Ideally we have no real replacement for parker coming through that I know off. I think he could play lock and play a 80 min game. Parker is getting older and be able to rest him I think is a good thing.

I'll stand by my opinion earlier in the year, I think McGuire is a good prop, our best prop, but he'd make an amazing lock, which is where I'd be playing him next year.

8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. Parker
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. McGuire

14. Thaiday
15. Kennedy
16. Garbutt
17. Oates

I'd like to see him develop an offload to put him at lock, but I agree he would certainly do a great job there.

Active Now

• Galah
  • Harry Sack
  • Fitzy
  • Dash
  • Allo
  • barker
  • broncos4life
  • winslow_wong
  • bb_gun
  • Fozz
  • BroncsNBundy
  • mrtij
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.