Josh McGuire signs with Cowboys - Immediate Switch

he was pretty average this season. later mate.

In terms of experience, our two old heads are Gillett and Moose. Gillett I think is far more important to the team.

McGuire has been a great player, and I still have fond memories of him coming through the ranks, he always looked like an NRL player right from his debut. To become the current Australian lock is an incredible achievement.

I still think his peak was when he was playing prop, and there was a season back there where he played the full 80 on multiple occasions and just beasted it. He was better with more minutes. I never bought in to the "he's too small to be a prop", which is why I don't really like him at lock. It suits his game in terms of big minutes, but I think it watered him down a bit. He was able to show more aggression at prop, and took his job against opposing props more personally. At lock, it seems like he has to force his aggression on the game, instead of letting the battle bring it out, and it's kind of costed him in terms of discipline.

It's strange though. A one-club Bronco that is incredibly consistent, that is a current international, that is fearless and supposedly low-maintenance, and yet I'm just not that sad to see him go, and like others have said, I'm kind of excited to see how that opens up our forward pack.

But who will play dummy half when Macca inevitably gets knocked out by Napa or does his knee via friendly fire? Sammy retired, we're screwed if this goes through!

He covers all positions and has the most ball touches on tackle 4, re-sign him @ all costs!

So,Hass to lock then. He does have the motor for it by all accounts. If moose goes we'll need Gillo's experience even more. Wonder if it had anything to do with the 'rat' episode.

The cowboys have the lost the plot, that’s a stupid amount of cash. What’s the bet they get valentine on a mil a season as well in a roosters like buying period.

Confirmed by Joel Gould on NRL.com (About as confirmed as it's going to get without the clubs announcing it officially)

Last edited:
wow, i didnt see that coming.
I wonder why we would let him go, especially since he isnt off contract - there are obviously all the young fellas coming thru but not sure we needed to let moose go..
Now with the extra cash locking Lodge in for a few more yrs, an upgrade to Fafita and locking in Carrigan would be nice..

I assume there's a bit more to this one.

Last edited:
So,Hass to lock then. He does have the motor for it by all accounts. If moose goes we'll need Gillo's experience even more. Wonder if it had anything to do with the 'rat' episode.
Na, just a decent upgrade

If we lose Moose I will flip my shit. He is the fucking broncos. All these kids need to get the **** in line and prove themselves before they get the pay cheque or they can **** off to the knights and titans and have shit careers

He’s getting on in age, the cows have offered him extreme overs given that fact, and we have freaks coming through that will be vying for his position.

Edit: this place would be melting down if we made a similar signing. We did it with Blair, but he was cheap.

Last edited:
I’m happy to ship moose, I don’t think he’ll ever get back to 2015 form and he’s a good for a few penalties a game.

Seems like a really nice bloke and I hope he doesn’t find the ability to make any post contact meters all of a sudden.

While I don’t think we will particularly miss Moose’s abilities. We are losing a lot of experience in the forwards.

To be fair though, I haven’t really looked at Josh the same since he was exposed as a rat leaking sensitive club info. To the point the other players set up a sting operation about Gillett leaving the club.

Signature updated

giphy.gif

If you told me I had to pick one of TPJ, Lodge, McGuire and Oates to leave in order to sure up the others, it would undoubtedly be McGuire. He's been a great player for us, I've loved the mongrel he has brought over his time here, but it's hard to look past his mostly bog average 2018 season and the unyielding frustration of watching a Prop play Lock when anyone with 2 eyes can see it should be the other way around.

Also there's the whole "rat in the ranks" thing which has hung over him like a bad smell. Go with the promising youth playing in the correct positions, IMO.

McGuire making immediate switch to Cowboys

Josh McGuire has contacted Broncos teammates from Fiji where he is holidaying to tell them he has played his last game for the club to take up a lucrative offer with North Queensland.
McGuire's exit helps Brisbane free up salary cap room to re-sign their crop of impressive young forwards as the Queensland and Australia Test lock was on a sizeable contract at the club.
The 28-year-old forward, who has made 194 appearances for Brisbane since making his NRL debut in 2009, started at lock for Australia in their recent Test win over Tonga.
Brisbane have several boom forwards Tevita Pangai jnr, Matthew Lodge, Joe Ofahengaue, David Fifita, Jaydn Su'A and Payne Haas at the club.
Brisbane are yet to re-sign Pangai, Lodge and star winger Corey Oates for the 2019 season and it is understood they are likely to officially announce their retention in the near future now McGuire's departure has been finalised.
The Broncos and Cowboys are yet to make any official statement on McGuire's future.
More to come

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Dreaglor
  • Hurrijo
  • Manofoneway
  • Harry Sack
  • DrGee
  • Kenny powers
  • Scdeac
  • Waynesaurus
  • Gaz
  • Nightwatchman
  • thenry
  • LGH
  • bert_lifts
  • lynx000
  • Broncosgirl
  • jarro65
  • Bucking Beads
  • Stix
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.