NEWS Judiciary: Live blog - Carrigan Four Week Suspension

To be honest they are different. Although the mechanisms were basically the same, Smith was the first man to make contact - Patty came in with force when 2 players already had Hastings held up.

Patty should’ve just done enough to throw him off balance and put him down instead of essentially dropping his body weight on the back of the knees.

Smith went for the hips, swung and landed on the back of the knees and then the 2nd defender came in. Smith couldn’t have reasonably done more to avoid that without just not completing the tackle where as Patty, while still accidentalcould have shown more regard for safety.

I don’t think the difference is as severe as 4 games suspension v 0. Whether Patty should’ve got less or Smith more I’m uncertain but if I had to quantify it I would say Patty’s is about 2 games worse than whatever Smith got.

An analogy would be Smith aquaplaning into a person despite driving to the conditions while Patty did the same but was going 10km over the speed limit.
It looked a different tackle to me.....Pats being worse.

It looked a different tackle to me.....Pats being worse.
How so?

Time for us all to write some heavily worded emails to the Broncos and the NRL.

I best not, I would use too many swear words. Plus I think the NRL blocked me years ago. After we were fined $75000 for the 'extra player' on the field when Webcke was knockout. lol

Looked to me to be more a case of Smith just simply trying to hang on..... vs dropping onto his legs

All the frames leading up to this point. The most significant point being that Smith was the first defender to make contact (which you can’t tell by this screenshot), he wasn’t attacking a player in a vulnerable position.

With all due respect I suggest you both watch the Carrigan tackle again too. I'm not arguing they're the same, they are not. The action that caused Pat's contact with Hastings' leg was the other guys pushing him back over the top of Pat, nothing Pat did. Hastings still had momentum in the tackle when Pat came in - that's why he came in, the others were struggling to stop him and both being up top, couldn't put him down. I'm also not saying Pat's didn't turn ugly, it absolutely did, Hastings ended up with a broken leg. It could be argued Brandon's tackle is worse as he swings around the player being tackled with momentum and impacts Tino's legs with some force...pretty sure that was in the NRL's hip drop definition.

The tackles are different, the situations are different, but does Brandon hit and slide down with his body contacting Tino's legs in a potentially-dangerous manner? Clearly, he does, and that's what matters. After the bullshit this week surrounding Pat and making examples of him and getting it out of the game - how the very next hip drop can be cleared with a fine is completely bullshit.

With all due respect I suggest you both watch the Carrigan tackle again too. I'm not arguing they're the same, they are not. The action that caused Pat's contact with Hastings' leg was the other guys pushing him back over the top of Pat, nothing Pat did. Hastings still had momentum in the tackle when Pat came in - that's why he came in, the others were struggling to stop him and both being up top, couldn't put him down. I'm also not saying Pat's didn't turn ugly, it absolutely did, Hastings ended up with a broken leg. It could be argued Brandon's tackle is worse as he swings around the player being tackled with momentum and impacts Tino's legs with some force...pretty sure that was in the NRL's hip drop definition.

The tackles are different, the situations are different, but does Brandon hit and slide down with his body contacting Tino's legs in a potentially-dangerous manner? Clearly, he does, and that's what matters. After the bullshit this week surrounding Pat and making examples of him and getting it out of the game - how the very next hip drop can be cleared with a fine is completely bullshit.

Agree with the point you are making. I also do think Patty's should have been a suspension and I actually don't think the Smith one should have been anything, that is not a dangerous tackle, he is clearly just trying to hold on. The issue for me is the non-issues with Souths guy and that Storm moron who gets away with everything all the time for some reason. The inconsistency is staggering.

It is quite staggering.....the inconsistency. To this we agree.

For the whole week of hoohaa about Patty....then for Smith to get away with only a fine, makes no sense. If they had any brains at all they should have given a min 1 week, if only for appearance’s sake.

Its almost as if they are taking the piss.....

The Simpsons GIF by FOX TV

I'm beginning to think the NRL are honestly just shit scared of copping a blast from the goons at the Storm, their players are like teflon, they either don't get sited by the MRC, or if they do then their penalties are usually reduced or the NRL just disregards the rules and make up other rules to help reduce the term of the penalties.

I'm beginning to think the NRL are honestly just shit scared of copping a blast from the goons at the Storm, their players are like teflon, they either don't get sited by the MRC, or if they do then their penalties are usually reduced or the NRL just disregards the rules and make up other rules to help reduce the term of the penalties.

For sure. They know the Storm will speak out and they quite frankly can’t handle that because they know the Storm won’t take their rubbish lying down like we disappointingly do.

For sure. They know the Storm will speak out and they quite frankly can’t handle that because they know the Storm won’t take their rubbish lying down like we disappointingly do.

I kind of like the professionalism and sportsmanship that we show in that regard, unfortunately the same can't be said for the governing body

To be honest they are different. Although the mechanisms were basically the same, Smith was the first man to make contact - Patty came in with force when 2 players already had Hastings held up.

Patty should’ve just done enough to throw him off balance and put him down instead of essentially dropping his body weight on the back of the knees.

Smith went for the hips, swung and landed on the back of the knees and then the 2nd defender came in. Smith couldn’t have reasonably done more to avoid that without just not completing the tackle where as Patty, while still accidentalcould have shown more regard for safety.

I don’t think the difference is as severe as 4 games suspension v 0. Whether Patty should’ve got less or Smith more I’m uncertain but if I had to quantify it I would say Patty’s is about 2 games worse than whatever Smith got.

An analogy would be Smith aquaplaning into a person despite driving to the conditions while Patty did the same but was going 10km over the speed limit.
Yeah they are different.. the BSmith one was more like the more horrendous McGuire Grade 3 hip drop... only difference is he's the "cheeeeeese" and matty johns likes to have him on his show every now and then so he can't be tainted

Active Now

• Bish
  • Foordy
  • bb_gun
  • Culhwch
  • BruiserMk1
  • Organix
  • Matheos
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jazza
  • GCBRONCO
  • Wolfie
  • Financeguy
  • Galah
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Strop
  • HarryAllan7
  • theshed
  • Johnny92
  • BroncoFan94
  • jd87
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.