NEWS Karmichael Hunt has entered the chat

Karmichael Hunt joined the squad today on a train-and-trial contract, available for selection in a fortnight, potentially against the Roosters in Round 11:

“It’s a massive opportunity. If anyone has followed my career and understands me, I don’t take things up that I don’t want to do or believe I can do."

“For me to accept the opportunity to come back to Red Hill, compete for a position and give my knowledge…I want it just as much as anyone else would want it. I turn up and try to earn my stripes every day. That’s not going to change. I want it just as much as I’ve always wanted it. I always feel like I’ve got stuff to prove and things in my game I need to get better at."

"It’s really no different to if I was at the Waratahs. I go into a season with the mentality to get better. The situation now is that I’m coming back to a game I haven’t played in 12 years at age 34. Externally, people will think of those variables a bit more but for me it’s the same mentality. I’m looking forward to improving, competing and doing my best every week as I normally do.”

Screen17e2ed606b48e9e413dfcb770e67d3fd

One down

“I’ve watched more rugby league since I’ve left than when I was playing. They’ve struggled the last couple of years for different reasons and as an Old Boy it’s been hard to watch. When you’re in these positions, it’s an opportunity to climb out of it. The boys showed some great resilience against the Titans last week and I feel like they’ve got the ability to turn this around quickly. They have the coaching staff to guide them through. As hard as the last couple of years have been for Broncos fans, I feel like there’s a lot of promise moving forward and we can turn that around.”

“I caught up with Kevin Walters a couple of weeks ago before the NRL signed off on the contract and he wanted to get me in for my experience and helping the young group of guys. A big part of it for me is to get in, compete with these young guys and help them out where I can. At the same time, I’m there to compete, too, and play games and give my all every training session."

“Hopefully that gives me an opportunity and my ability and work ethic give me a chance to pull that jersey on. These next few weeks will be about seeing where I’m at. I might need a little bit conditioning-wise, speed-wise and strength-wise. I’m not sure. It’s hard to predict these things when you’ve been out of the game for so long. I feel like I will do a good job to get up to speed.”

McHunt

Good luck to him. I think it will take significant injuries to see him in the team, though we are probably weakest at centre, so you never know…
I actually think he offers more on the bench than Danny Levi. Can essentially cover the entire backline and halves, could probably slot in at lock if required too. Plus you know if he comes on he’s going to provide the voice required to start a comeback or help keep us in front.

I actually think he offers more on the bench than Danny Levi. Can essentially cover the entire backline and halves, could probably slot in at lock if required too. Plus you know if he comes on he’s going to provide the voice required to start a comeback or help keep us in front.
100%. If he can still tackle anything like the old days, he'd be excellent in at dummy half. I doubt he'd have anything like Turpin's ticker but we mightn't have had that high stress period when Levi came on against the Titans had it been Hunt in there barking directions.

100%. If he can still tackle anything like the old days, he'd be excellent in at dummy half. I doubt he'd have anything like Turpin's ticker but we mightn't have had that high stress period when Levi came on against the Titans had it been Hunt in there barking directions.

I thought Levi did pretty well to be honest, remember it was his first week training with the team and it was a big improvement on game 1. Give him a chance before throwing him away.

I thought Levi did pretty well to be honest, remember it was his first week training with the team and it was a big improvement on game 1. Give him a chance before throwing him away.
Not knocking Levi personally but it's not the first time the team lost momentum when Turpin went off. Like the last time we played the Cowboys (trials).

come on Chris was it really a surprise addition to training, given we've know about this for weeks.
Exactly, God bless six-time award winning senior journalist, chief rugby league writer Peter Badel:

“I might need a little bit conditioning-wise, speed-wise and strength-wise. I’m not sure. It’s hard to predict these things when you’ve been out of the game for so long. I feel like I will do a good job to get up to speed.”
Worried about your speed hey...

Yeah my comment wasn’t a knock on Levi, he’s been fine, but he doesn’t make the players around him better. I think Hunt brings that, on their ability alone, Hunt doesn’t bring that much given he has lost some pace etc, but the experience and determination is next level.

Karmichael Hunt joined the wrestling drills yesterday. Today, he hits the training track:

“It was a spinout. The guys are in a new facility. I keep telling them, ‘geez you guys are lucky’. I look across the road and say that is where we used to train."

"It was a full-circle moment, for sure. I couldn’t have predicted this outcome, if you’d asked me two years ago where I’d end up. If you’d asked, ‘Do you think you would be back in rugby league or the Broncos?’, I would have said no. It’s kind of a feel-good moment for me.”

"When the Broncos went down 58-0 to Parramatta, it was an ugly day and I was like ‘Geez, I’d like to get back and help there if I could. I had another year there with the Waratahs and this year, the way it ended with them not wanting to spend money and us not wanting to go overseas because of COVID, we packed up and went back to Brissie."

“I thought, ‘I’ve still got some good years of footy left in me and I’d like to get back into league and coach after I finish playing’. But let’s have one more crack at playing and see if an opportunity pops up.”

“I’m definitely a lot smarter than I was, I won’t be running into brick walls like I was when I was 17. There will be no kamikazes, I’ll leave that up to Jamayne.”

6974776bd0b98f1b2abf4fa98d80d2e5

“When I spoke to Kevvie a couple of weeks ago he just wanted to get me in there around the guys to provide some experience. I haven’t spoken to him today about my prospects of playing. A huge part of it for me is to be able to give back to the club that gave me everything as a 17 year old."

“But I feel like one of the best ways to be able to help the next generation come through is to compete with them and push them on the training track. I want to be doing that every day. I would love to get the opportunity to pull that jersey back on. That is the goal for me.”

“Having been out of the system — I have been playing Intrust Super Cup — so you are not sure where you are physically. I am looking forward to getting on the paddock and seeing where I sit. People who know me well know I always back myself. I have some good years of footy left in me.”

“To be able to play in the NRL again and to be able to play with the Broncos, where I made my debut 17 or 18 years ago, it would mean the world to me. For it to happen a lot of things had to go right for me. If I get a debut off the back of that, it would be unreal."

“Benji Marshall is inspiring, he’s definitely inspiring me. He’d been doing that for a lot of the older players in a similar position to ourselves. What he is doing is phenomenal. I was talking about Benji over the dinner table [on Monday] because we played Queensland Schoolboys together about 19 years ago. To see him at his age playing the footy that he’s doing for the Rabbitohs is just inspiring. Definitely I feel like if Benji can do it, it’s given me hope that I can do it as well.”

“I'm still a competitor, I still go out and give my all. I'm obviously a lot more mature off the field, I don't go out and make silly decisions any more. I've got four kids this time around, I'm a father more so than one of the lads."

“But I’ve got a lot of care for my craft and now I have a deeper appreciation for professional sports and wanting to give back to the young kids coming through. It’s full circle for me. It’s really gratifying to have this opportunity to be able to give back and still compete at this level.”

“To be 34, having gone around the merry-go-round with all the sports I have tried and personal issues, to be in the Broncos squad and have an opportunity to be able to work for a jersey and give back to the club, I don’t think I could have written a better story for myself. I am just first and foremost happy to be back in the building, helping out where I can. If Kevvie gives me a jersey, happy days.”

McHunt

Does anyone know K’s heritage, I think I read he was once eligible for the Kiwis?

I am so happies he give his all.
The post was a compilation of three different interviews spliced together. That bit I changed from an awkward third person reply to a "how has Karmichael Hunt changed etc" question. Thanks for picking up the typo.

The post was a compilation of three different interviews spliced together. That bit I changed from an awkward third person reply to a "how has Karmichael Hunt changed etc" question. Thanks for picking up the typo.

No worries bro, I make mistakes all the time, I was just joking around.

After all this time I'm still bitter he burnt us.......................what makes it even worse is that he went to friggin AFL.

Active Now

• TwoLeftFeet
  • I bleed Maroon
  • jd87
  • Johnny92
  • Jazza
  • Hurrijo
  • Brocko
  • Evander
  • KateBroncos1812
  • johnny plath
  • Bucking Beads
  • The True King
  • BroncoFan94
  • winslow_wong
  • Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  • kiwi2
  • Fozz
  • bazza
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.