NEWS Karmichael Hunt has entered the chat

Karmichael Hunt joined the squad today on a train-and-trial contract, available for selection in a fortnight, potentially against the Roosters in Round 11:

“It’s a massive opportunity. If anyone has followed my career and understands me, I don’t take things up that I don’t want to do or believe I can do."

“For me to accept the opportunity to come back to Red Hill, compete for a position and give my knowledge…I want it just as much as anyone else would want it. I turn up and try to earn my stripes every day. That’s not going to change. I want it just as much as I’ve always wanted it. I always feel like I’ve got stuff to prove and things in my game I need to get better at."

"It’s really no different to if I was at the Waratahs. I go into a season with the mentality to get better. The situation now is that I’m coming back to a game I haven’t played in 12 years at age 34. Externally, people will think of those variables a bit more but for me it’s the same mentality. I’m looking forward to improving, competing and doing my best every week as I normally do.”

Screen17e2ed606b48e9e413dfcb770e67d3fd

One down

“I’ve watched more rugby league since I’ve left than when I was playing. They’ve struggled the last couple of years for different reasons and as an Old Boy it’s been hard to watch. When you’re in these positions, it’s an opportunity to climb out of it. The boys showed some great resilience against the Titans last week and I feel like they’ve got the ability to turn this around quickly. They have the coaching staff to guide them through. As hard as the last couple of years have been for Broncos fans, I feel like there’s a lot of promise moving forward and we can turn that around.”

“I caught up with Kevin Walters a couple of weeks ago before the NRL signed off on the contract and he wanted to get me in for my experience and helping the young group of guys. A big part of it for me is to get in, compete with these young guys and help them out where I can. At the same time, I’m there to compete, too, and play games and give my all every training session."

“Hopefully that gives me an opportunity and my ability and work ethic give me a chance to pull that jersey on. These next few weeks will be about seeing where I’m at. I might need a little bit conditioning-wise, speed-wise and strength-wise. I’m not sure. It’s hard to predict these things when you’ve been out of the game for so long. I feel like I will do a good job to get up to speed.”

McHunt

After all this time I'm still bitter he burnt us.......................what makes it even worse is that he went to friggin AFL.
Well now he gets a chance to square the ledger.

Yay! A 34 year old has been who hasn't played in 12 years, Woot! What a win for our recruitment team!

Yes I am aware there is nothing to lose with a train and trial deal but this isn't the kind of signing I'm wanting to hear about.
Hell if he can teach our wingers to mark their man and stay wide, I'll chip in for his deal. Yes he might be a spent force and a hole filler, but if does a Benji both around the youngsters or wins us 1 game its all worth it.

“Snuck” into training… He parked openly in the employees carpark and walked in like everyone else… Hence why they had footage of him…

God I hate journalists…
Were you staking him out with binoculars?

Walters:

KHunt is not available until round 11. I have got ‘K’ in mainly around the training environment and an older head. I don’t know if he will play or not, that’s up to Karmichael with his form in the Intrust Super Cup. I have got him in here to be around the younger guys, he is a good voice around the group and he is a good pro, so he can be a good mentor for these blokes.”

McHunt

“Snuck” into training… He parked openly in the employees carpark and walked in like everyone else… Hence why they had footage of him…

God I hate journalists…
We didn’t even call a press conference when we signed a new coach, what were they expecting for a train and trial player not likely to see game time lol

Were you staking him out with binoculars?
No. I walk my dog past Red Hill most days. I only live a couple of streets away and I've seen where the players park any number of times.

The footage of him was in the open carpark at the end of the building beside the old Ithaca TAFE building. It's completely open to anyone who cares to look in and is the furthest thing imaginable from "sneaking" anywhere.

No. I walk my dog past Red Hill most days. I only live a couple of streets away and I've seen where the players park any number of times.

The footage of him was in the open carpark at the end of the building beside the old Ithaca TAFE building. It's completely open to anyone who cares to look in and is the furthest thing imaginable from "sneaking" anywhere.
So the question is who do we trust more: the Brisbane cop or the TV journalist? I'm going to need my lawyer present before I comment further.

Hunt returns:

“I had spoken to Pete beforehand and he gave me the heads up and said, ‘Kevvie is going to try and give you a call’, but I can’t get you in because I have to get the contract crossed off with the NRL. It was nice to see Kevvie’s number come up and for him to want me to go in and to be able to have a chat with him on the phone and then see him on the Monday morning. It was good to catch up and connect and understand where he’s at and what he needs from me."

“Kevvie’s probably one of the most passionate supporters of the club and the Broncos, and he’d do anything for the success of the club and it’s great to have his energy around. I was excited more than anything."

Karmichael hunt   CMsuc7cgmoz

“Just going back to some familiarity although their training facilities are newer and flashier compared to the old one across the road I trained at 12 years ago. I was just excited going in there knowing I was going to get to work with the guys in the squad and being able to start the process of being able to give back to the club that gave me everything as a 17-year-old, it was one of gratefulness and excitement.”

“I know the guys would be happy with the resilience they’ve shown and the result they got against the Titans, but they understand that this is not what the Broncos are about, it’s about sustained success. I feel the guys understand they’re not where they want to be and their attitude is ‘let’s turn up, train hard and get better’ and that’s what happened today, which is great to see.”

“It definitely makes me feel old when they say, ‘I was three years old when you were making your debut’. I don’t need those reminder."

“That’s my goal to play, for sure. But there’s the needs of the team, then there’s form, and for me being 12 years out of the game, although I’ve been playing Q-Cup, I just need to get acclimatised with the group over the next couple of weeks and acclimatised with their training regime, and make sure I’m up to scratch with the detail they need. I feel like I can do it.”

“I still think my step is still there if I need it, but I prefer to create time and space for the outside backs than put those steps on.”

“Milf had a blinder against the Cutters up at McKay two weeks’ ago and really turned the game on its head and probably showed everyone that day and everyone watching what he’s capable of. He came back and did what he needed to do and he got the call-up and I thought he played a great game against the Titans. He didn’t overplay his hand, he got in the right spots, he was working well with Tyson and creating the extra man where he needed. So I think his little stint back in Q-Cup has worked wonders for him, which is great and what it’s used for. Coaches want to see a result and they got one and I’m happy for Milf.”

Karmichael hunt   B9qnodxAq2c B9qnoaiAcDD

Hunt TNG

“If you had told me last year when I was at the Tahs I’d be at the Broncos this time next year, I would have told you you were crazy. To have the opportunity to start training with my old club, in Brisbane, with my three daughters and my son starting to get around the Broncos kit, it’s pretty special.”

“My wife Emma couldn’t be prouder. It’s two-way. I couldn’t be more proud of her and thankful for what she continually does for me and my kids and I wouldn’t be in this position without her and her ability to be resilient and helpful when she needs to be, but as a rock and a friend. It’s full circle, there’s plenty of emotion involved.”

McHunt

In case anyone's wondering this is 100% fake news of the refused to rule it out variety. He might play. He mightn't play. Saw this one coming in the presser when Kevvie played possum to the question from Badel:

ScreenScreenshot 2021 05 16 at 10 12 22 Courier Mail Sport on Twitter

In case anyone's wondering this is 100% fake news of the refused to rule it out variety. He might play. He mightn't play. Saw this one coming in the presser.

View attachment 13016
I'm hoping they used Kevvie's quote to the question of "all options are open after tonight"

I'm hoping they used Kevvie's quote to the question of "all options are open after tonight"
Pretty much. He's based the entire story on the underlined bit.

Walters:

We will consider all players after this performance. Certainly Hunt’s experience ... that was one of the reasons why we brought him back to train with the group, was for his knowledge, so we’ve got that in Karmichael for sure. It’s always going to be handy to have him back. Karmichael has been a quality player in the game and he is a great athlete, so I’m sure he would be a great inclusion.”

And then Jesse Arthars:

“If ‘K’ gets a run it would be awesome. He has had such a massive role in the club before and in multiple sports and being a young fella like me, it’s great to have someone like Karmichael in the club “You can ask a lot of questions, I personally have, so having him in the team can only benefit the young guys.”

McHunt

I don’t see what Hunt brings to the team by playing. He looks well past it and I think he gets smoked in first grade.

Kev is all out of options unfortunately. He has about 8 5/8ths at the club and zero organisers or game managers. The team needs a critical spine transplant and there’s no options at the entire club.

I really don’t see what he can do to salvage this season. Maybe hope he can get his defensive structures up to par and pray Staggs has enough points in him to snag some wins.

Defending has become so heavily scrutinised that good defence is no longer enough to win you games. It’s like ISC where winning largely depends on out scoring your opponent and possession is more vital than any other aspect.

I don’t see what Hunt brings to the team by playing. He looks well past it and I think he gets smoked in first grade.

Kev is all out of options unfortunately. He has about 8 5/8ths at the club and zero organisers or game managers. The team needs a critical spine transplant and there’s no options at the entire club.

I really don’t see what he can do to salvage this season. Maybe hope he can get his defensive structures up to par and pray Staggs has enough points in him to snag some wins.

Defending has become so heavily scrutinised that good defence is no longer enough to win you games. It’s like ISC where winning largely depends on out scoring your opponent and possession is more vital than any other aspect.
All I can say is: even if he's slow and unfit, he can't be worse than Milford. He's a competitor, at least.

Active Now

• Galah
  • Painin the Haas
  • KateBroncos1812
  • The Don
  • Strop
  • I bleed Maroon
  • bb_gun
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.