NEWS Karmichael Hunt has entered the chat

Karmichael Hunt joined the squad today on a train-and-trial contract, available for selection in a fortnight, potentially against the Roosters in Round 11:

“It’s a massive opportunity. If anyone has followed my career and understands me, I don’t take things up that I don’t want to do or believe I can do."

“For me to accept the opportunity to come back to Red Hill, compete for a position and give my knowledge…I want it just as much as anyone else would want it. I turn up and try to earn my stripes every day. That’s not going to change. I want it just as much as I’ve always wanted it. I always feel like I’ve got stuff to prove and things in my game I need to get better at."

"It’s really no different to if I was at the Waratahs. I go into a season with the mentality to get better. The situation now is that I’m coming back to a game I haven’t played in 12 years at age 34. Externally, people will think of those variables a bit more but for me it’s the same mentality. I’m looking forward to improving, competing and doing my best every week as I normally do.”

Screen17e2ed606b48e9e413dfcb770e67d3fd

One down

“I’ve watched more rugby league since I’ve left than when I was playing. They’ve struggled the last couple of years for different reasons and as an Old Boy it’s been hard to watch. When you’re in these positions, it’s an opportunity to climb out of it. The boys showed some great resilience against the Titans last week and I feel like they’ve got the ability to turn this around quickly. They have the coaching staff to guide them through. As hard as the last couple of years have been for Broncos fans, I feel like there’s a lot of promise moving forward and we can turn that around.”

“I caught up with Kevin Walters a couple of weeks ago before the NRL signed off on the contract and he wanted to get me in for my experience and helping the young group of guys. A big part of it for me is to get in, compete with these young guys and help them out where I can. At the same time, I’m there to compete, too, and play games and give my all every training session."

“Hopefully that gives me an opportunity and my ability and work ethic give me a chance to pull that jersey on. These next few weeks will be about seeing where I’m at. I might need a little bit conditioning-wise, speed-wise and strength-wise. I’m not sure. It’s hard to predict these things when you’ve been out of the game for so long. I feel like I will do a good job to get up to speed.”

McHunt

Yay! A 34 year old has been who hasn't played in 12 years, Woot! What a win for our recruitment team!

Yes I am aware there is nothing to lose with a train and trial deal but this isn't the kind of signing I'm wanting to hear about.

Yay! A 34 year old has been who hasn't played in 12 years, Woot! What a win for our recruitment team!

Yes I am aware there is nothing to lose with a train and trial deal but this isn't the kind of signing I'm wanting to hear about.
Give the club some time. DD literally just started.

Let's see where we are at in 2 weeks time.

Tomorrow is the May the 4th, so even if there a new good signings announced (I've been dreaming it would happen even though I know it likely won't happen), at least The Bad Batch is out!

Yip, if nothing else he’ll open the young ones eyes to what it means to compete on every play. The whole teams footy smarts will definitely increase by having him there.

Good luck to him. I think it will take significant injuries to see him in the team, though we are probably weakest at centre, so you never know…

It's a no brainer IMO. Low risk, with potential of high reward in terms of the type of impact he can have on some of the younger lads in the squad based on his leadership and experience.

The squad has sorely lacked some older, experienced heads. He's also a winner - he was there in '06, won Origin with Queensland and tests with the Kangaroos. A lot of these young blokes in our team don't really know that winning culture, so from a mental standpoint hopefully he can have some influence there too.

Yes, but who's better to get in the ears of those that would be recruited elsewhere that it's not all beer and skittles.

This can only be a positive. You can say what you want about him, but he has so much experience and is a proven winner. Will be good to have him around the younger crew even if he doesn't play any NRL.

I wouldn't mind seeing him playing 14 for a few weeks and see how he goes.

He has a wining attitude and has always been a winner. I'd rather that attitude was the prevailing vibe around training than some weak prick claiming mental issues.

Yep his knowledge will come in handy.
Its fricken hard to roll those plastic hundreds properly so you dont leave any happy dust on the toilet seat.

It sounds like Hunt really wants this.

He's always been a very determined person so he'll keep working on his game until he's at a level where he could be an asset for us instead of a liability. Well, we can hope anyway. I think it could work out, but time will tell.

I do wonder where he is going to play, though. If Milford and Gamble work out as a halves pairing, then 5/8 is not an option. I wouldn't mind having him at centre, but by then it won't be long until Staggs is back and he's pushed out of centre. I'm not sure about fullback. If he's got the legs for it then I'll take him at fullback in a heartbeat. But he hasn't played the game since 2009 and it's changed a lot since then, so I'm not sure how he'll go there.

Perhaps he could be our utility on the bench. He can play several different positions so he could good cover in case of injuries.

It sounds like Hunt really wants this.

He's always been a very determined person so he'll keep working on his game until he's at a level where he could be an asset for us instead of a liability. Well, we can hope anyway. I think it could work out, but time will tell.

I do wonder where he is going to play, though. If Milford and Gamble work out as a halves pairing, then 5/8 is not an option. I wouldn't mind having him at centre, but by then it won't be long until Staggs is back and he's pushed out of centre. I'm not sure about fullback. If he's got the legs for it then I'll take him at fullback in a heartbeat. But he hasn't played the game since 2009 and it's changed a lot since then, so I'm not sure how he'll go there.

Perhaps he could be our utility on the bench. He can play several different positions so he could good cover in case of injuries.
Realistically Herbie could always go back to playing on the Wing. He's coming along nicely as a Centre but he's already a very, very good Winger.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Porthoz
  • TimWhatley
  • maddo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.