VOTE Kev’s midseason mark

Rate Kev as a coach so far

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Which adds to the impression that Kevvie being coach isn't much of a drawcard for this generation of players - unless maybe if they knew him as an Origin coach. His playing legacy is lost on this generation, and even for those of us who've followed his entire career, he was always the little engine who could rather than the star. His star status has been painted in broader brush strokes in reflection of his achievements rather than his presence. He never had the cult status of Alfie, Wally, Mal, Gordie or Lockie. He'd mean even less to NSW players.
Also he can’t coach.

Also he can’t coach.
From your very early calls to sack Walters, to the constant one liners criticising him, I get the impression you’re trying to be to Walters what @broncsgoat was to Seibold (and he was right).

And maybe you’re right, maybe Walters can’t coach. But try to remember that Bennett also struggled, with a vastly stronger squad, to have this team playing decent, consistent football. We definitely looked better on the surface, and Bennett definitely had better results, but how much of that was makeup simply covering the cracks? How often did we win games based purely on individual brilliance (Milford, Roberts, Nikorima, TPJ) rather than fantastic, structured team plays and grinding the opposition into the ground like the good teams do? And that was 2018, we’ve only got drastically worse since then…

The point is, I don’t think there is a coach in the NRL that could have come in at the end of 2020 and got this rabble together in 15 rounds. The problems our mob have run much, much deeper than coaching.

It’s culture, it’s in their psyche. For the most part, this team has proven themselves to be nothing more than an overpaid, underperforming pack of entitled whingers with no capacity to step back, reflect and take ownership for their incredibly poor performances.

The fans keep turning up. They get paid, they get sponsored, they get adored and their Instagram pages get likes - why would they care what happens on the field.

I don’t know if Walters is the man for the job. But I am willing to let him put his stamp on this team, cut the rot out that he (along with the new brains trust) identifies as being detrimental to what he is trying to do, and give him a fair chance to prove what he’s got, one way or another.

However, and notwithstanding any of the above, what other choice do we have? Who else can we turn to?

From your very early calls to sack Walters, to the constant one liners criticising him, I get the impression you’re trying to be to Walters what @broncsgoat was to Seibold (and he was right).

And maybe you’re right, maybe Walters can’t coach. But try to remember that Bennett also struggled, with a vastly stronger squad, to have this team playing decent, consistent football. We definitely looked better on the surface, and Bennett definitely had better results, but how much of that was makeup simply covering the cracks? How often did we win games based purely on individual brilliance (Milford, Roberts, Nikorima, TPJ) rather than fantastic, structured team plays and grinding the opposition into the ground like the good teams do? And that was 2018, we’ve only got drastically worse since then…

The point is, I don’t think there is a coach in the NRL that could have come in at the end of 2020 and got this rabble together in 15 rounds. The problems our mob have run much, much deeper than coaching.

It’s culture, it’s in their psyche. For the most part, this team has proven themselves to be nothing more than an overpaid, underperforming pack of entitled whingers with no capacity to step back, reflect and take ownership for their incredibly poor performances.

The fans keep turning up. They get paid, they get sponsored, they get adored and their Instagram pages get likes - why would they care what happens on the field.

I don’t know if Walters is the man for the job. But I am willing to let him put his stamp on this team, cut the rot out that he (along with the new brains trust) identifies as being detrimental to what he is trying to do, and give him a fair chance to prove what he’s got, one way or another.

However, and notwithstanding any of the above, what other choice do we have? Who else can we turn to?
Well, I actually never said I wanted him sacked. In fact in my early criticisms I spoke openly about how much I want him to succeed and that I explicitly don’t want him sacked.

I only mentioned sacking him after the abysmal coaching performance on display against the Raiders. Even then it was tongue in cheek.

I think I have been pretty in-depth about the coaching issues he’s displayed and I don’t think I’ve seen a decent argument from anyone for what I have stated. I even gave him wraps for his tactics against the Panthers, Cowboys, and Roosters.

The only counter argument I’ve seen is blaming the players. Which I’ve always conceded must be very difficult to coach. But the players don’t run the bench rotation or pick the teams. The players don’t constantly contradict themselves in their media presentations and decisions.

I don’t want him sacked. I want him to see out his contract, and I want him to have less control over team lists and I want the club to find the best possible assistants who will be in charge of bench rotation and defence. Basically I want Kev surrounded by the best possible coaching staff and let Kev be a token coach until his contract expires and we consider the options available at that time.

Well, I actually never said I wanted him sacked. In fact in my early criticisms I spoke openly about how much I want him to succeed and that I explicitly don’t want him sacked.

I only mentioned sacking him after the abysmal coaching performance on display against the Raiders. Even then it was tongue in cheek.

I think I have been pretty in-depth about the coaching issues he’s displayed and I don’t think I’ve seen a decent argument from anyone for what I have stated. I even gave him wraps for his tactics against the Panthers, Cowboys, and Roosters.

The only counter argument I’ve seen is blaming the players. Which I’ve always conceded must be very difficult to coach. But the players don’t run the bench rotation or pick the teams. The players don’t constantly contradict themselves in their media presentations and decisions.

I don’t want him sacked. I want him to see out his contract, and I want him to have less control over team lists and I want the club to find the best possible assistants who will be in charge of bench rotation and defence. Basically I want Kev surrounded by the best possible coaching staff and let Kev be a token coach until his contract expires and we consider the options available at that time.
Fair enough.

I guess why I question the motives or sincerity of the above is the fact you started a new thread questioning his coaching after our round 4 loss. A mere 320 minutes of football.

Now, after 15 games the same thread has manifested into a ‘should we consider sacking him’ thread.

As I said, I don’t know if he’s the man for the job. But with the wooden spoon roster that managed to somehow get weaker, I’m willing to give him time before I get my pitchfork out.

But how much Wayne will be left in this team next year?

Screen17c9132e8a6ca1af9f85be23bfb70606

A coach has to have control over team selection, after all they live and die by the sword of results.

Listened to most of the Adam Reynolds bloke in a bar with Denan Kemp.

He seems like a good guy and that he’ll do his best next year to help turn things around.

The thing I found concerning though is when discussing his decision to chose the broncos over the Sharks, the dot points were this:

Speaking on Sharks:
- Very close to signing with Sharks
- Spoke with Fitzy and thinks he will be a great coach and has a good football brain
- some quality players in the team.

Speaking on Broncos:
- family wanted to leave Sydney if he left bunnies
- Sharks would be basically the same life style just at a different club
- Broncos have some very talented players and when players play against them they can’t figure out why they’re going so bad.
- “You don’t know what they’re being told at training”

Basically he gave Fitzgibbon a massive wrap and didn’t mention Kev at all. He then went on to imply that the team has a lot of talent and it hasn’t been unlocked and he isn’t sure why. Putting forth the possible explanation “you don’t know what they’re being told during the week” and then mentioning how he likes having input into teams and he’s looking forward to seeing if he can help.

In fact in the roughly 20 minutes of speaking about the broncos and other clubs, he didn’t mention Kev once.
He's been speaking to my Mum.
If you can't say something nice about someone, don't speak at all ...

No his team is mud , change the team then criticize.
Ah yes, this circular argument yet again. No one has any reasonable defence of thnon-player impacted coaching flaws of Walters.

It’s all the players fault. Just like Seibold’s first year when it was all Wayne’s fault, and then all the old players fault. Now everyone wants Kodi back and Seibold is hated.

I’m sorry, I want Kev to succeed but he just isn’t a very good coach and he’s displayed almost nothing to suggest he is. Not a single player now or at QLD has given Kev a wrap outside of saying he’s a nice bloke or passionate.

we will go above the bulldogs this week most likely.

No one gets points this week ... our next bye is when we go ahead of the Bulldogs ... unless we beat the Sharks of course

Ah yes, this circular argument yet again. No one has any reasonable defence of thnon-player impacted coaching flaws of Walters.

It’s all the players fault. Just like Seibold’s first year when it was all Wayne’s fault, and then all the old players fault. Now everyone wants Kodi back and Seibold is hated.

I’m sorry, I want Kev to succeed but he just isn’t a very good coach and he’s displayed almost nothing to suggest he is. Not a single player now or at QLD has given Kev a wrap outside of saying he’s a nice bloke or passionate.
I blamed seibold last year but I gave him the first just like I am Walters, but both coaches can't be this bad so for me this playing group needs to be accountable for what we've seen. At some point you can't keep blaming the coaches.

Then he should die by the sword. His team selection is mud and his results worse.
I'd like to give him a bit longer yet but heaven knows he's got plenty of improvement in him to qualify as a good coach from what we've seen.

I think you can fairly and most correctly blame both players and coach.
You can but half a season , really!
You just have it in for Kevvie I think, a gave seibold a season and a half and I wasn't happy with him getting the job.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • thenry
  • Lozza
  • john1420
  • Culhwch
  • Sproj
  • broncos4life
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Aldo
  • theshed
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • MrTickyMcG
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.