THE COACH Kevin Walters

Excited Lets Go GIF

Not sure I accept this tbh. They’ve built this roster over 2 seasons now. They’ve trained the players for their systems. Most the players are not kids anymore and have 50+ NRL games. If the team has holes it’s on the club and coach, if the depth can’t handle injuries that’s on the club and coach for letting depth go, if the players letting off field distractions or inconsistent form derail their season that’s on the club and coach.

Regardless of if the 8 is realistic or not, at this stage that should be expected and if the coach can’t deliver on that they need to be held accountable.

I personally think we do have a top 8 squad
A list of the players and games is below in response to a previous @Big Pete post regarding player games and veterans, experienced and rookies. https://broncoshq.com/threads/bronc...s-discussion-2022.43730/page-364#post-3442585

So we actually have 10 players with 50+ NRL games... with a couple more that will most likely tick that off this year.

Most of our starting 17 have 50+, although 5 of our starters are under 50 games, including 3 spine positions (Walsh, Ezra, Billy & Paix) with Cobbo the other @ 25 games.

For me it's the next level down in regards to depth that would be the concern with the possibility that Willison, Piakura and Bayliss @ under 5 games each, could be relied upon if injury and suspension hit.

Games Range2023 SquadNRL GamesPosition in team
200 Games+Adam Reynolds251Starter, Coach & Captain
Martin Taupau222Bench middle
100-199 GamesCorey Oates194Starting winger
Kurt Capewell115Starting edge forward and VC
50-99 GamesPayne Haas81Starting middle
Corey Jensen76Bench middle
Tom Flegler74Starting middle
Kotoni Staggs74Starting centre
Patrick Carrigan60Starting middle
Herbie Farnworth53Starting centre
20-49 GamesJordan Riki45Starting edge forward
Jordan Pereira44Depth winger
Jesse Arthars41Depth winger / centre
Reece Walsh38Starting fullback
Kobe Hetherington36Bench middle
Billy Walters35Starting/bench hooker
Keenan Palasia33Bench/depth middle
Cory Paix29Starting/bench hooker
Selwyn Cobbo25Starting winger
5-19 GamesTC Robati17Depth edge / middle
Jock Madden17Depth half
Ezra Mam13Starting half
Delouise Hoeter14Depth winger / centre
0-5 GamesTriston Sailor5Train and trial, depth fullback/halves
Tyson Smoothy4Depth hooker
Xavier Willison4Depth middle
Deine Mariner2Depth winger / centre
Brendan Piakura2Depth edge
Blake Mozer0Depth hooker
Ethan Quai-Ward0Depth winger / centre
Logan Bayliss0Depth middle

Here's an
A list of the players and games is below in response to a previous @Big Pete post regarding player games and veterans, experienced and rookies. https://broncoshq.com/threads/bronc...s-discussion-2022.43730/page-364#post-3442585

So we actually have 10 players with 50+ NRL games... with a couple more that will most likely tick that off this year.

Most of our starting 17 have 50+, although 5 of our starters are under 50 games, including 3 spine positions (Walsh, Ezra, Billy & Paix) with Cobbo the other @ 25 games.

For me it's the next level down in regards to depth that would be the concern with the possibility that Willison, Piakura and Bayliss @ under 5 games each, could be relied upon if injury and suspension hit.

Games Range2023 SquadNRL GamesPosition in team
200 Games+Adam Reynolds251Starter, Coach & Captain
Martin Taupau222Bench middle
100-199 GamesCorey Oates194Starting winger
Kurt Capewell115Starting edge forward and VC
50-99 GamesPayne Haas81Starting middle
Corey Jensen76Bench middle
Tom Flegler74Starting middle
Kotoni Staggs74Starting centre
Patrick Carrigan60Starting middle
Herbie Farnworth53Starting centre
20-49 GamesJordan Riki45Starting edge forward
Jordan Pereira44Depth winger
Jesse Arthars41Depth winger / centre
Reece Walsh38Starting fullback
Kobe Hetherington36Bench middle
Billy Walters35Starting/bench hooker
Keenan Palasia33Bench/depth middle
Cory Paix29Starting/bench hooker
Selwyn Cobbo25Starting winger
5-19 GamesTC Robati17Depth edge / middle
Jock Madden17Depth half
Ezra Mam13Starting half
Delouise Hoeter14Depth winger / centre
0-5 GamesTriston Sailor5Train and trial, depth fullback/halves
Tyson Smoothy4Depth hooker
Xavier Willison4Depth middle
Deine Mariner2Depth winger / centre
Brendan Piakura2Depth edge
Blake Mozer0Depth hooker
Ethan Quai-Ward0Depth winger / centre
Logan Bayliss0Depth middle
Billy had only played 12 NRL games when he arrived at the Broncos. One fewer than Ezra. Madden has played 17. The same as Paix at the beginning of last season.

Sooo struggling coach should get sacked.... ie. the same scenario in every sport everywhere

I dont think its always the case. I've said it many times, if you can see things are improving where they need to even though you are losing games i think the coach can often get more time to prove himself. I think at the Broncos, we have got better results under Kevvie but we still collapse a lot of the time in the same ways we were collapsing when he first came here and the previous couple of years. Thats where i want to see the change.

I dont think its always the case. I've said it many times, if you can see things are improving where they need to even though you are losing games i think the coach can often get more time to prove himself. I think at the Broncos, we have got better results under Kevvie but we still collapse a lot of the time in the same ways we were collapsing when he first came here and the previous couple of years. Thats where i want to see the change.

I’m constantly puzzled at Adam O’Brien being safe as houses.

He was an assistant at both the storm and rorters ... so they're just hoping beyond hope that he'll come good

Yep and I wish I could get a multi-year deal as a head coach for hanging around with guys who knew what they were doing too.

O'Brien was lucky that the standard was so poor in '21 that a 12-12 record with a -143 differential was still enough to nab 7th. They struggled throughout the majority of that season but the return of Pearce along with the signing of Clifford salvaged their season.

It might be a 2 year extension, but you could bet your house on it that if the performance is poor - he will not last.

He was an assistant at both the storm and rorters ... so they're just hoping beyond hope that he'll come good

That's basically it and proof (as if any was needed) that hiring a guy because he came from a good system doesn't mean shit

The new contract is essentially perform or perish in a nutshell. I have zero faith in Kev with what the team has produced under his coaching. He's just keeping the seat warm for a Billy Slater type coach to take the Broncs to the promise land.

Courier Mail has updated the contract story:

"The deal reportedly includes bonus clauses that would make Walters one of the highest paid coaches in the league. However, The Courier-Mail reports the deal comes with a twist that would allow the Broncos to terminate the contract early without facing the same scenario the club had with Anthony Seibold where the Manly coach was handed a $1.5 million pay out."​

Active Now

• Fozz
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • ivanhungryjak
  • marw
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.