THE COACH Kevin Walters

well with both Kev and a Billy being extended for 2 years - the Mozer situation is certain to come to a head sooner than later. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Edit: for those who like to eye roll rather than have actual discussions this is not a shot at either Walters. It is simply saying that this debate will be put to bed one way or another
I wonder if the Billy situation is causing friction between Walters and Ikin? I expect if Mozer comes in it will be at Paix's expense. I just can't see Kevvie dropping Billy. Though they did make him sack Steve and his mate Terry.

The shit will really hit the fan if we see Billy back in the halves. I reckon if that happens it's the end for Kevvie.

I’m sure a lot of posters are expecting me to be triggered by this news but I actually think it’s a good idea if the contract has the right performance clauses.

The club gets to shut down talks of Kev being under pressure and minimises stories based on Selwyn and Gambles comments. It also shows some level of stability which players tend to want - even if they don’t think the coach is the next Jack Gibson.

It will also let Kev get on with the job without stressing about his future.

If he doesn’t perform the club can just sack him. He wouldn’t be the first coach to get an extension then get fired soon after.

It’s all upside even if I don’t think it was deserved

I’m sure a lot of posters are expecting me to be triggered by this news but I actually think it’s a good idea if the contract has the right performance clauses.

The club gets to shut down talks of Kev being under pressure and minimises cyber stories based on Selwyn and Gambles comments. It also shows some level of stability which players tend to want - even if they don’t think the coach is the next Jack Gibson.

It will also let Kev get on with the job without stressing about his future.

If he doesn’t perform the club can just sack him. He wouldn’t be the first coach to get an extension then get be fired soon after.

It’s all upside even if I don’t think it was deserved
The old calm before the Storm game routine, eh?

No Billy discussion in this thread please, it's real tiresome, keep it in the dedicated thread.
I don’t see the issue with talking about Billy in the Kev thread as Billy is one of some people’s biggest criticisms of Kev as a coach.

I think he has bigger flaws personally but it’s a valid discussion in regards to Kev, even if you believe Billy is our best hooker, Kev’s hooker and general bench rotation is open for discussion and that’s no fault of Billy’s.

In fact I’d go as far as to say that almost all the criticism directed at Billy are actually Kev issues as he’s the one who signed and selects him. Billy tries his heart out. So if anything, the Kev thread is more appropriate for Billy chat than the Billy thread.

There will be clauses. If we dont win a game in our first 7 or 8 they will punt him. Just having a 2 year deal is no guarantee of anything.
The fact that there's supposedly clauses that avoid a massive payout shows the Board are being responsible.

Although it's probably a few weeks early, it's still a good deal for both parties.

Let's be serious here for a second, this is only a "bombshell" to those who had us winning the comp a couple of years after getting the spoon.

In any NRL club that is looking to make steps in the right direction, Kev hasn't failed at all. We have improved every year under him, it can't really be debated.

Good deal, Broncs won't be liable for a massive payout after Kev gets fired mid-season this year.

Let's be serious here for a second, this is only a "bombshell" to those who had us winning the comp a couple of years after getting the spoon.

In any NRL club that is looking to make steps in the right direction, Kev hasn't failed at all. We have improved every year under him, it can't really be debated.

Getting some better results doesn't mean we have improved the issues we still have. We still collapse under pressure, our attack still isn't that great and our defense is still weak and we still haven't made the 8, which by Kev's own admission is failure.

This year is huge for him. This side has been talented enough to make the 8, we should have done it in 2022. He wont survive if we dont do it this year.

I can imagine Kev’s going to be feeling the heat if we don’t start the season strong.

Luckily we only have the back to back premiers first up and away from home.

Pen 0-40 Broncos is a hell of a statement up front 💪💪💪

Unless we rattle off something like 6 or 7 straight defeats he will get the year. I cant see him being here if we dont make the 8 this time around unless we just get decimated by injuries.

Anything less then the 8 is goodbye Kevie.
If it's touch and go to make the 8, then I'd start looking at replacements going forward,

I think we'll comfortably make the 8.

Anything less then the 8 is goodbye Kevie.
If it's touch and go to make the 8, then I'd start looking at replacements going forward,

I think we'll comfortably make the 8.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we say that last year?

The way Kevvie bumbles his way through press conferences, along with the numerous red flags along the way certainly suggest his ability to articulate his thoughts / plans / directions to the players (or at least some) is convoluted and confusing.

Equally though, he’s such a likeable bloke who would do everything in his power to see the Broncos succeed (both as player or coach). It’s pretty safe to say every Broncos fan wants to see him succeed on a personal level.

As we are all well aware though, his failure or success is directly shackled to the club and, ultimately, I want the Broncos to succeed. If we’re still asking the same questions come mid year, I just don’t see a way we can keep persevering.

Just like the ‘there is no one better’ excuse applies to every player, it applies to the coach just the same. There is no world where we can continue to perpetuate failure simply by default.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we say that last year?
I didn't (there were others as well) and I'm not saying it this season either. This roster still has too many holes in it. If they manage to keep their key players on the park, then they are a valid shot at a playoff spot. But if the current trend of serious injury, suspension, off field distractions and occasional woeful form continues, then it will be another trying season.

I didn't (there were others as well) and I'm not saying it this season either. This roster still has too many holes in it. If they manage to keep their key players on the park, then they are a valid shot at a playoff spot. But if the current trend of serious injury, suspension, off field distractions and occasional woeful form continues, then it will be another trying season.
Where does the buck stop for the roster having holes in it?

Active Now

• leon.bott
  • ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.