THE COACH Kevin Walters

Unless we rattle off something like 6 or 7 straight defeats he will get the year. I cant see him being here if we dont make the 8 this time around unless we just get decimated by injuries.
Sooo struggling coach should get sacked.... ie. the same scenario in every sport everywhere

Honestly I don't care if they give him a 10 year extension, as long as they have clauses (which they almost certainly do) to sack him if we go on a downward spiral.

I've said it many times, I don't rate Kev as a super, or even good coach, he's the Macca of coaches but the Macca of coaches might be the best option we have.

Unless we get significantly worse, or someone clearly better becomes available, we should just stick with him.

I didn't (there were others as well) and I'm not saying it this season either. This roster still has too many holes in it. If they manage to keep their key players on the park, then they are a valid shot at a playoff spot. But if the current trend of serious injury, suspension, off field distractions and occasional woeful form continues, then it will be another trying season.
Not sure I accept this tbh. They’ve built this roster over 2 seasons now. They’ve trained the players for their systems. Most the players are not kids anymore and have 50+ NRL games. If the team has holes it’s on the club and coach, if the depth can’t handle injuries that’s on the club and coach for letting depth go, if the players letting off field distractions or inconsistent form derail their season that’s on the club and coach.

Regardless of if the 8 is realistic or not, at this stage that should be expected and if the coach can’t deliver on that they need to be held accountable.

I personally think we do have a top 8 squad

Honestly I don't care if they give him a 10 year extension, as long as they have clauses (which they almost certainly do) to sack him if we go on a downward spiral.

I've said it many times, I don't rate Kev as a super, or even good coach, he's the Macca of coaches but the Macca of coaches might be the best option we have.

Unless we get significantly worse, or someone clearly better becomes available, we should just stick with him.
I agree but I think there are coaches available that could be significantly better. It just depends how risk adverse the club wants to be.

I agree but I think there are coaches available that could be significantly better. It just depends how risk adverse the club wants to be.
I think making the 8 is necessary, that to me is the good enough to keep him on mark. If we miss again he needs to go. No excuses, this is entirely his roster. Only Payne Haas' contract predates him (I think) and he's elite, so absolutely no excuses. He has his roster, he has his support staff, it's 100% on Kev now to get some results.

Finals or **** off is my line in the sand.

Not sure I accept this tbh. They’ve built this roster over 2 seasons now. They’ve trained the players for their systems. Most the players are not kids anymore and have 50+ NRL games. If the team has holes it’s on the club and coach, if the depth can’t handle injuries that’s on the club and coach for letting depth go, if the players letting off field distractions or inconsistent form derail their season that’s on the club and coach.

Regardless of if the 8 is realistic or not, at this stage that should be expected and if the coach can’t deliver on that the need to be held accountable.

I personally think we do have a top 8 squad
I can only see two gaping holes in the team: one of them is completely on the coach, and the other is who succeeds Reynolds. And given Kev's specialty should be the halves, that has to be on him as well. I think our forwards depth could be tweaked, but it's acceptable relative to other clubs.

I think making the 8 is necessary, that to me is the good enough to keep him on mark. If we miss again he needs to go. No excuses, this is entirely his roster. Only Payne Haas' contract predates him (I think) and he's elite, so absolutely no excuses. He has his roster, he has his support staff, it's 100% on Kev now to get some results.

I think it's reasonable for us to be negative about him at this time of the year, given how we ended last season. It really was abysmal. And the biggest upgrade this season was gifted to us by the Warriors.

I agree.

Positions 1-7 have 6 players that have either played rep or been in rep camps (Walsh) with only Mam yet to do so.

Positions 8-13 have 5 with only Walters/Paix not reaching rep selection.

We now also have a rep international in the bench rotation.

That’s a first choice squad that is 12/17 players with rep honours and 11/13 starters.

If you can’t coach that team to finals you should probably pack it in.

two gaping holes
Approve South Park GIF

hard to say without knowing the situation with our salary cap over the last few years
It is hard to say but it’s hard to continue with that excuse when there are only 9 players remaining from the top 30 Kev inherited.

Haas
Carrigan
Arthurs
Farnworth
Paix
Oates
Palasia
Flegler
Staggs

All of them have extended since Kev was here so they can’t blame previous regimes if these contracts are negatively impacting the cap

The only way this is acceptable, is if one of the clauses states we can sack him without any pay out if we miss the finals.

It is hard to say but it’s hard to continue with that excuse when there are only 9 players remaining from the top 30 Kev inherited.

Haas
Carrigan
Arthurs
Farnworth
Paix
Oates
Palasia
Flegler
Staggs

All of them have extended since Kev was here so they can’t blame previous regimes if these contracts are negatively impacting the cap
Who has been moved on since he has taken over and how long have we been paying for them and who might we have been able to field a competitive offer for is more my point.
Even pies time how long were we paying for ppl he moved on?

Who has been moved on since he has taken over and how long have we been paying for them and who might we have been able to field a competitive offer for is more my point.
Even pies time how long were we paying for ppl he moved on?
We’re aren’t paying for anybody anymore so my point is that there are no more excuses from this season onwards.

We’re aren’t paying for anybody anymore so my point is that there are no more excuses from this season onwards.
I get that but maybe the reason there a holes in the roster and have been for the last few years is we have been tapped salary cap wise by having to pay to move on shit contracts and were unable to make a competitive play at players in the past to fill said holes.
If i could be arsed id go back over the last 5 years to see what hookers and halves have been off contract over that time but its hot im bbqing.

I agree.

Positions 1-7 have 6 players that have either played rep or been in rep camps (Walsh) with only Mam yet to do so.

Positions 8-13 have 5 with only Walters/Paix not reaching rep selection.

We now also have a rep international in the bench rotation.

That’s a first choice squad that is 12/17 players with rep honours and 11/13 starters.

If you can’t coach that team to finals you should probably pack it in.
Mam was selected for the Indidgeridoo Allstars, so you might as well include him in the reps.

1. Walsh: QLD squad
2. Oates: QLD
3. Staggs: NSW, Allstars, Tonga
4. Farnworth: England
5: Cobbo: QLD, Allstars, PM VIII
6. Mam: Allstars (withdrawn)
7. Reynolds: NSW
8. Flegler: QLD
9: Walters: father is coach
10: Haas: Australia
11: Capewell: QLD
12: Riki: NZ squad, Maori
13: Carrigan: Australia
14: Paix: QLD under 20's
15: Arthars: Maori
16: Madden: Australian schoolboys captain
17: Palasia: Samoa
18. Willison: Cook Islands
19: Piakura: Cook Islands
20: Taupau: NZ, Samoa, World Allstars
21: Bayliss: Scotland
22: Mozer: QLD under 19's, see Cameron Smith
23: Roboto: Maori

Mam was selected for the Indidgeridoo Allstars, so you might as well include him in the reps.

1. Walsh: QLD squad
2. Oates: QLD
3. Staggs: NSW, Allstars, Tonga
4. Farnworth: England
5: Cobbo: QLD, Allstars, PM VIII
6. Mam: Allstars (withdrawn)
7. Reynolds: NSW
8. Flegler: QLD
9: Walters: father is coach
10: Haas: Australia
11: Capewell: QLD
12: Riki: NZ squad, Maori
13: Carrigan: Australia
14: Paix: Schoolboy rep
15: Arthars: Maori
16: Madden: Australian schoolboys captain
17: Palasia: Samoa
18. Willison: Cook Islands
19: Piakura: Cook Islands
20: Taupau: NZ, Samoa, World Allstars
21: Bayliss: Scotland
22: Mozer: see Cameron Smith
23: Roboto: Maori
9: Walters: father is coach QLD residents

Fixed it for you....😉

Unread

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • Broncorob
  • pennywisealfie
  • Midean
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.