OFFICIAL Kevin Walters Steps Down As Broncos Coach

so lets have a look at the contenders:

Michael Maguire:
the favourite you would think. I believe he interviewed at the time Seibold got the job. Premiership winner with Souths. failed at the Tigers (but who hasn't). Has done pretty well in the rep arena. but very intense, his teams tend to burn out, so only a short window to get the premiership before he is inevitably sacked.

Josh Hannay

Probably the most highly regarded assistant in the game and the likely next cab off the ranks to make the transition to head coach

Trent Barrett
He needs to be included among the contenders, given they just hired him. Sacking Kevvie had to be on their minds for a while, i doubt they woke up this morning and just decided to pull the trigger.

JD
Previously short listed. was Bennett's hand picked successor. failed at Souths with a decent roster.

Michael Cheika
A left field one. not much in the way league coaching experience, but pretty good in the other code. was short listed by the Eels. sound like a good man manager, but as he is lacking in league experience you'd want a good tactician as his assistant

I’m guessing the review played some part in the decision, but perhaps with a lot of players off contract come Nov 1 perhaps there was an unwillingness to re-sign and this could have forced the clubs hand…

Interesting times ahead.
The players will want to know who's coaching them next year though... and what they represent and their plan for said player.

Players are on holidays now and the main squad won't be back until December or so

Our squad is overrated though. There’s holes in it everywhere! Our club is overrated. Madge is a myth. It would surprise me if he would drop the Blues for us tbh.
Don't know about overrated, Haas, Carrigan & Walsh are all top tier in their positions.

I also disagree that it would be a "surprise" for madge to drop the blues job. You can tell whenever he speaks that his heart lies with NRL head coaching & coaching the Broncos is the most exciting/challenging coaching gig there is

ruthless .

Will be very intersting now what we do if we lose some big name players becuase of it and still miss the 8 next year.
Surely some members of the board head will have to roll if thats to happen.

ruthless .

Will be very intersting now what we do if we lose some big name players becuase of it and still miss the 8 next year.

as long as the club are making money (which they certainly are) the board are safe. the major shareholder **cough**News Limited**cough** only care about one thing which is one of the downsides of being listed on the ASX (the only club to be listed FYI)

ruthless .

We won’t be losing any big time players. Obviously all the players, and likely the assistant coaches who are all leaving, said he was shit in that independent report and that’s why they pulled the pin.

as long as the club are making money (which they certainly are) the board are safe. the major shareholder **cough**News Limited**cough** only care about one thing which is one of the downsides of being listed on the ASX (the only club to be listed FYI)
Share price plummeted this year but
They were trading at 1.20 last year and are like 89c tonight

Thanks for your efforts big Kev.

Unfortunately, too many times there were no answers to multitudes of questions.

Repeatedly going into must win games and not showing up. Yes, the players are the ones on the pitch, but the coach will always be the one rightly or wrongly held ultimately accountable.

A shame, as he really wanted to succeed, but now we have to move on.

Only one man for me, Billy Slater. But that's not going to happen.

Not only falling short is must win games, it was the poor bench management and decisions.

I thought they'd get support around Walters and teach him. The review was obviously telling.

Active Now

• Swordfish
  • Gaz
  • Nightwatchman
  • bert_lifts
  • Mustafur
  • Accept
  • broncsgoat
  • Scdeac
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Wild Horse
  • Broncosgirl
  • KnToad
  • azza.79
  • Lurker
  • Battler
  • mitch222
  • Dexter
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Mightybroncs2k17
... and 28 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.