THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Broncosgirl

Broncosgirl

Deep in the Heart of Queensland
Contributor
Nov 9, 2022
Yeah sure, Patty/Payne/Reece/Riki or any of the other pretty boys wouldn't have wanted an all-expenses paid junket in Vegas spoiling their "holiday."
The way I remember it though, it's not that they didn't want to go, it was more because they were not allowed to go?

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Easiest way to not concede penalties is not commit penalties. We can't defend errors and penalties, don't need a penalty merchant out there doing double the damage since we can't catch either.

Bench has been aweful too. Injuries and all, but realistically everyone's had injuries.

We lost our 7. So did Panthers, Storm lost their 6. His jobs to build a competitive squad as well as coach. We went into the season with 5 hookers and 2 second rowers, who's responsible for squad make up.

We had 4 hookers signed til 26, before Billy was extended, dumb roster management.

Every assistant coach seems to want out, how many have said Billy isn't it?.
Salary cap doesn't help. We effectively lost 4 players last year from our grand final team and could replace any of them with new players. We had to basically instead promote from within thus further weakening our overall player roster.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Undeserving......? Against the Dragons he was one of the only players trying to have a dig for Brisbane in the first 60mins.
Yeah but that wasn't his first game for us.

Tigers discard that couldn't make the team to broncos starter who has never missed a game due to someone being a better fit in the position he plays in(which is changeable as needed to keep him in the team)

Cynical? Yes. But as they say, just because you are paranoid doesn't mean everyone isn't out to get you

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Others haven't stopped, you must have been taking the gloves off, so to speak.
I received pm from staff, I assumed others did not or did but disregarded them as the conversation did lull but not really for any significant amount of time. I also found that posters on the other side of the argument resorted to name calling as my own nrl career was constantly brought up as a comparis9n and as a reason as to why my opinion was invalid. Fwiw I didn't sign with the broncos when I was younger because I already had a very lucrative career stacking boxes of fruit at Rockley markets.

Chewed

Chewed

QCup Player
Feb 1, 2017
Salary cap doesn't help. We effectively lost 4 players last year from our grand final team and could replace any of them with new players. We had to basically instead promote from within thus further weakening our overall player roster.

We're a development club, that's what we're meant to do.

Questions also need to be asked why we're missing 2-3 years of development players. We have young players but for some reason there's nothing underneath them. We got 20-21 year olds playing and nothing down to 17-18 year olds.

Whats happened to those players?. Shibasaki, Lahrs and a bunch of other young guns were all on the books and now we have no SR depth.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013

Questions also need to be asked why we're missing 2-3 years of development players. We have young players but for some reason there's nothing underneath them. We got 20-21 year olds playing and nothing down to 17-18 year olds.

Whats happened to those players?. Shibasaki, Lahrs and a bunch of other young guns were all on the books and now we have no SR depth.

They were never "on the books." They were on scholarships/Academy and once it came NRL contract time and finishing school they didn't sign with the Broncos.

Chewed

Chewed

QCup Player
Feb 1, 2017
They were never "on the books." They were on scholarships/Academy and once it came NRL contract time and finishing school they didn't sign with the Broncos.

No one did. Even blokes we wanted to keep all bailed, that's what I'm saying there's a 2-3 age gap where the juniors have all "noped" out.

This is all lining up with "chicken sandwich" and multiple players coming out saying Walters cant coach.

Something stinks.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013

No one did. Even blokes we wanted to keep all bailed, that's what I'm saying there's a 2-3 age gap where the juniors have all "noped" out.

This is all lining up with "chicken sandwich" and multiple players coming out saying Walters cant coach.

Something stinks.
You did say they were on the books- they weren't. They went to school in Townsville and played Cyril and Meninga in Townsville, families are all in Townsville.

Kids will take scholarships from anyone and everyone- why wouldn't you. Payne was at the Warriors and Titans.

They didn't bail on the Broncos, they signed with the Cowboys.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Karl Oloapu, De La Salle Va'a, Kaiden Lahrs, Tyreece Tait, Jamal Shibasaki, Lewis Symonds, Devonte Vaivela, William Herbert etc.

That's a lot of talent that came through the system but for whatever reason weren't enticed to stick around.

Brisbane pride themselves on their development, why would these players wish to leave if Brisbane were theoretically the best place for them to learn their craft?

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
The fickle fans. The same people complaining about Flegler getting binned and suspended in 2022 are now complaining that we miss his aggression.

He did score that try right through the middle of the Penrith pack in the GF but ...
I didn`t complain too much about Flegler I thought he was dealt with harshly by refs and MRC more than once . And I can never forget the penalty for ? Tackling too hard . FMD !
The night Sam Thaiday made it his mission to dominate JWH was a night to remember .

Chewed

Chewed

QCup Player
Feb 1, 2017
Karl Oloapu, De La Salle Va'a, Kaiden Lahrs, Tyreece Tait, Jamal Shibasaki, Lewis Symonds, Devonte Vaivela, William Herbert etc.

That's a lot of talent that came through the system but for whatever reason weren't enticed to stick around.

Brisbane pride themselves on their development, why would these players wish to leave if Brisbane were theoretically the best place for them to learn their craft?

Exactly. It's not like the path is super congested with us either, there's genuine opportunities to be next man up in a few positions.

If you're Shibasaki you're behind Riki and Piakura. At cows he's behind 4 blokes, still bounced.

Something feels off and there's way too many little things adding up.

Mightybroncs2k17

Mightybroncs2k17

NRL Player
Jan 15, 2017
The coacing staff as a group definitely have to take some responsibility for the position we are in. We've been set on trying to land the knockout blow as soon as the ball is kicked off before our opponent has even worked up a sweat.

For me, our second game against the Roosters raised alarm bells and is where the coaches should have drawn a line in the sand. It was a game against a roosters side playing well and there were questions been asked about Brisbane going into it. We tried to play like harlem globe trotters, didnt build any pressure and it was a mistake riddled loss. Despite our regular high error rate and inability to defend erros the high risk game plan seemed to be persisted with right up until recent rounds.

Looking forward, providing Origin is nice to us Wednesday, we're likely going to have the option of fielding a pretty strong team. Will Kev and Co continue with the high risk footy and hope it clicks. Or will they totally change our game plan (my preference) and play a simple 5 hit ups and boot the ball into the corner then muscle up in defence. Rinse and repeat until the coach sends out the message that its time to throw the ball around?

I genuinely beleive we are a good confidence boosting win away from going on a run of wins. However i absolutely think we need to simplify things if thats going to happen. For the remainder of the regular season I'm tatooing 3 golden rules in this teams brains. 1. Get to your kick. 2. No repeat sets or peanlties. 3. High energy on every play for every minute.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013

I think where you get them from plays a big part, you're always running a risk when you have scholarship players from other areas out of SEQ. Although the Broncos seem to not mind New Zealand but to me Shibasaki and Lahrs were never coming down here.

Tait needed a change and it's worked out for him.

Having said that it's up to you to be such a great club that when they get to 17 they don't want to stay at home they want to come down here.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Exactly. It's not like the path is super congested with us either, there's genuine opportunities to be next man up in a few positions.

If you're Shibasaki you're behind Riki and Piakura. At cows he's behind 4 blokes, still bounced.

Something feels off and there's way too many little things adding up.

That's not accurate at all, he signed with the Cowboys in 2022 when he turned 17.

Capewell, Flegler, Hetherington, Jensen, Keenan, TC, Willison and Te Kura was just a year older.

And again, born in Townsville, Townsville Brothers junior, went to school at Ignatius Park, played Meninga for the Blackhawks, played Cup for the Blackhawks and Cutters and Colts for the Blackhawks.

Are we really shocked at 17 he said might start my senior career at the Cowboys.

Totally Unr3al

Totally Unr3al

QCup Player
May 3, 2024
Don’t know about you guys, but Kevvie needs assistants next year… maybe he could get a subscription to BHQ as one of those. Whilst there are some howlers from the fans, some of us here actually come up with some good shit.
Well….
Can’t be any worse than what is being dished up right now.
Can someone also please tell Selwyn Cobbo what the sideline is?
I know it’s look the same as the try line buts it’s very different

Totally Unr3al

Totally Unr3al

QCup Player
May 3, 2024
We have wasted too much on players who constantly let us down…

Unread

Active Now

• MrMoore
  • pennywisealfie
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.