THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Rhetorical question, I wonder if KW has negative performance clauses in his contract which allow the club to terminate the contract without a payout or a lesser agreed payout? If so, I wonder what the performance benchmarks are and whether a bottom 4 finish of itself is sufficient to enliven the clause?

M

marw

U18 Player
Feb 25, 2023
It’s not about being positive it’s about being realistic. Kev has a bad track record statistically coaching and I have been told by an actual former broncos player that he is incompetent. I love Kev as a player but fans that constantly back him need to look past the fact that he is a bronco legend and not a good coach. I’m sick of the players getting constantly blamed and targeted for poor performances when it’s not their fault.
So it's not their fault they can't catch or hold on to a football. ffs

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
Reyno was on the radio not long ago talking about when he first came to the club and just how little Rugby League knowledge the team had, especially the forwards.

Kevvie had a full year with them and they hadn’t learned a thing. Quite frankly, that is fucking alarming.

I’ve seen people put it down to him being too busy overhauling the roster, but that’s not a 24/7 job and that’s one of the reasons why we brought in Ikin. It’s not an excuse for the side not having some knowledge drilled into them at training.
The thing is Ikin got dumped because Kev it appeared felt threatened. Was Ikin pushing another hooker or does Kev fear being white anted.

I love Kev and hope he can turn this around but I have played in teams where the coaches son plays and it wasn't well received when he was singled out for praise by his father despite we loving the player and knowing he was a quality player. It's a recipe for disunity. Hopefully it's nothing like that and the boys are just in a form slump.

Santa

Santa

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jun 30, 2020
Will all the hate on Billy lately, I thought it might be good to recycle this message from Billy. Theme still seems to be the same.

Lostboy

Lostboy

BRL Player
Feb 21, 2024
Will all the hate on Billy lately, I thought it might be good to recycle this message from Billy. Theme still seems to be the same.

I wonder if people would like him more if he was called Willy Walters......?
Everyone loves a willy......
Yours or someone else's or a silicone one....
Everyone loves some kind of Willy.
Universal love of the Willy.

No one like a Billy....unless you smoke weed or like camping.

Apologies for using the word Willy excessively, I feel I've over extended my Willy use this evening....

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
I just can't come into this idea that Kev would praise his son and not be out trying to wind people up, he would have known when he got the job and when his son came with him, it would be the immediate sticking point. I got no doubt the players give it to Billy too in a just having a joke kind of way.

I reckon he's winding people up.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
I wonder if people would like him more if he was called Willy Walters......?
Everyone loves a willy......
Yours or someone else's or a silicone one....
Everyone loves some kind of Willy.
Universal love of the Willy.

No one like a Billy....unless you smoke weed or like camping.

Apologies for using the word Willy excessively, I feel I've over extended my Willy use this evening....

No offence.....but I'd rather smoke a Billy
than a
Willy

😉

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Probably the worst takes i have ever read. Kevy has no ego, never takes the credit and always takes the blame. Hes one of the most humble blokes around the game and the first to admit that when we perform poorly, its on him.

Also Ben Ikin left at the start of the 2023 season. The same season we went on to win like 20 games and play a GF lol. To attribute our current slump on what happened with Ikin makes no sense. It was over 12 months ago and since then we played a Grand Final.

Just on Ikin, IMO he gets too much credit for our turn around.

I'm still not really sure what he did while at the club. He was only here for 12 - 18 months, and not in our most successful year off the DD / Kev era.

I mean, he didn't have anything to do with our two key signings (Reynolds and Capewell) as both signed before he started
... And we haven't made any other mSjor signings

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Karl Oloapu, De La Salle Va'a, Kaiden Lahrs, Tyreece Tait, Jamal Shibasaki, Lewis Symonds, Devonte Vaivela, William Herbert etc.

That's a lot of talent that came through the system but for whatever reason weren't enticed to stick around.

Brisbane pride themselves on their development, why would these players wish to leave if Brisbane were theoretically the best place for them to learn their craft?
Farnworth seemingly left for more than just money. Briers, Cartwright. Couldn’t get along with Ikin. Publcially slammed by Gamble, Cobbo and Isaako.

I don’t know, a lot of clubs have a high turn over but something just doesn’t seem right.

On another note, I know we are decimated with injury but carrying 3 hookers and an additional outside back seemed so strange. What happened to all Kev’s chat about turning Hetho into a modern ball playing lock. How was there no Q cup players worth giving a run.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
let’s say at worst we don’t win another game this year. What happens with Kev?

thenry

thenry

QCup Player
Jul 20, 2017
I think if that happens he would be gone. It would be the worst capitulation.. The terrible thing for supporters is that it is actually a chance of occurring.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I just can't come into this idea that Kev would praise his son and not be out trying to wind people up, he would have known when he got the job and when his son came with him, it would be the immediate sticking point. I got no doubt the players give it to Billy too in a just having a joke kind of way.

I reckon he's winding people up.
Certainly working. Reddit has been a Billy bashfest since that last game.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Won't get jacked off in the end of season review. Will need to show how new assistants, new blood and .... will turn it around next season. Will get until some time before Origin to show we're on the right track. If not, he'll follow the same trajectory as every other coach in his position. Sometimes they escape the chop. In Kevvie's case, he doesn't face much competition for the job.

Rhetorical question, I wonder if KW has negative performance clauses in his contract which allow the club to terminate the contract without a payout or a lesser agreed payout? If so, I wonder what the performance benchmarks are and whether a bottom 4 finish of itself is sufficient to enliven the clause?
I might be completely wrong about this but I seem to recall he had that in his first couple of years. He was expected to make the finals or else he'd get a strongly worded letter or something.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
The way I remember it though, it's not that they didn't want to go, it was more because they were not allowed to go?
They should've fought for their right to party: "you're not even my real mother!"

Unread

Active Now

• MrMoore
  • Allo
  • pennywisealfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.