THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
let’s say at worst we don’t win another game this year. What happens with Kev?
I still think he survives and is given x amount of games next year. There is still some weight in the justification/excuse of not having our best side available for majority of this season.

Due to the speed of the unexpected decline of our results this year, i doubt we would even have anyone lined up to takeover this season anyway. We are flat out replacing assistant let alone a head coach.

Whilst i don't think your worst case scenario will happen, i'm not as optimistic as others to think we will just snag 6 of our last 7 games...i can see us beating Parra and maybe Storm if they rest their first grade squad, the other games are tough based on our current form.

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Farnworth seemingly left for more than just money. Briers, Cartwright. Couldn’t get along with Ikin. Publcially slammed by Gamble, Cobbo and Isaako.

I don’t know, a lot of clubs have a high turn over but something just doesn’t seem right.

On another note, I know we are decimated with injury but carrying 3 hookers and an additional outside back seemed so strange. What happened to all Kev’s chat about turning Hetho into a modern ball playing lock. How was there no Q cup players worth giving a run.
Let's look at what you said properly though, Gamble basically said along the lines of using his other couching staff to run the team(which isn't different to what Bennett does) Cobbo says he isn't a good coach and makes the GF literally the next year, and Isaako was shambles after he left to titans, he was adamant playing fullback when he was here which he clearly wasn't capable of but he wasn't half bad when used on wing even if he did get exposed alot in defence which most of it wasn't his fault as he was stuck in 2 vs 1.

Assistants move all the time, since that is salary capped now it's very possible they where just offered more money elsewhere is there any word on anything about why they are leaving even?

To be fair some selections he made previously like promoting Baker ahead of Willison at the start of the year was insane, especially when Willison was probably the best player in the pre season period when you include the Māori game, it took him a few too many rounds after that to boot him out as well.

But at the same time I would say under Kev we have had more Young players coming though and showing alot of potential, instead of looking like basket cases before we toss them and look for another.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Let's look at what you said properly though, Gamble basically said along the lines of using his other couching staff to run the team(which isn't different to what Bennett does) Cobbo says he isn't a good coach and makes the GF literally the next year, and Isaako was shambles after he left to titans, he was adamant playing fullback when he was here which he clearly wasn't capable of but he wasn't half bad when used on wing even if he did get exposed alot in defence which most of it wasn't his fault as he was stuck in 2 vs 1.

Assistants move all the time, since that is salary capped now it's very possible they where just offered more money elsewhere is there any word on anything about why they are leaving even?

To be fair some selections he made previously like promoting Baker ahead of Willison at the start of the year was insane, especially when Willison was probably the best player in the pre season period when you include the Māori game, it took him a few too many rounds after that to boot him out as well.

But at the same time I would say under Kev we have had more Young players coming though and showing alot of potential, instead of looking like basket cases before we toss them and look for another.
Yeah all good points. Supporting Kev is a roller coaster ride.

I can’t remember a single time when a player publicly bagged an active coach, let alone 3 players for the same coach, 2 of which were at the club. Granted I probably don’t pay as much attention toward other clubs coaches or players though.

Kev’s style of coaching, as in his selections and the way the team plays, is really easy to criticise when it isn’t working. However when it all does come together like last year we’ve seen how that goes too.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Yeah all good points. Supporting Kev is a roller coaster ride.

I can’t remember a single time when a player publicly bagged an active coach, let alone 3 players for the same coach, 2 of which were at the club. Granted I probably don’t pay as much attention toward other clubs coaches or players though.

Kev’s style of coaching, as in his selections and the way the team plays, is really easy to criticise when it isn’t working. However when it all does come together like last year we’ve seen how that goes too.
It's hard to believe Cobbo wasn't sacked. Coaching is a dictatorship, and publicly slagging off the coach is treason. Kevvie was a good bloke for letting him stay, but he probably wasn't a good coach. That must've been a tough decision.

thenry

thenry

QCup Player
Jul 20, 2017
It's hard to believe Cobbo wasn't sacked. Coaching is a dictatorship, and publicly slagging off the coach is treason. Kevvie was a good bloke for letting him stay, but he probably wasn't a good coach. That must've been a tough decision.
I think he got some leeway given the exponential trajectory he went on from 21-22 and being a young shy Indigenous kid from the bush.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
He should have been sacked, it was weak and disappointing that he wasn't. It must be hard for Kevvie to keep the respect of the other players when they see you can go on a public forum and bag out the coach and remain in the team. Once the trust and respect is gone you can't get it back.

If I was Billy I would be keeping Cobbo away from the media and dipshits on shitty podcasts.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
You also don't cut your nose off to spite your face. Brisbane knew that Cobbo's RL future was going to be very bright.......and that he is a naive kid from the bush, susceptible to dickhead podcasting wannabe's, putting him in awkward positions and then using what he said in response to grab media headlines for themselves.

We/KW made the right call IMO.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
He should have been sacked, it was weak and disappointing that he wasn't. It must be hard for Kevvie to keep the respect of the other players when they see you can go on a public forum and bag out the coach and remain in the team. Once the trust and respect is gone you can't get it back.

If I was Billy I would be keeping Cobbo away from the media and dipshits on shitty podcasts.
I was relieved he wasn't sacked, but it was weak of the club not to enforce zero tolerance on dissent, regardless of his talent.

By the end of the season it looked like Kevvie had the last laugh, but here we are now revisiting those words.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Makes you wonder how long the shy indigenous kid excuse gets you out of things. If he is so shy why the **** was he going on random podcasts?

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
He is also not too smart and naive as ****.....IMO.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

No he shouldn’t have been. If you sack players every time they do something stupid, you don’t have many players left.

You get him to apologise which he did. It’s a credit to Kevvie how he handled all that.

Last thing you want is to be sacking players left, right and centre and then they go to the Roosters or Storm and spend their career winning dodgy premierships there.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.