THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Let go: Dearden, Isaako, Capewell, TPJ

Moved on by choice: Herbie, Flegler, Coates, Palasia

Improved as a player: Billy Walters?

Answer?
Deardon and Isaako have improved since moving on and possibly Coates too.

I think just making a stupid comment about the coach, while pretty embarrassing, isnt a sackable offence.
Was it a stupid comment or was he simply stupid making it. In any case, as time goes by, it appears as though he could have been right.

Was it a stupid comment or was he simply stupid making it. In any case, as time goes by, it appears as though he could be right.

Well, he was stupid making it, no doubt about it.

Him being NSW coach has probably got him black listed as a broncos coach. Remember that this was also the guy whose gameplan resulted in Walsh getting his head taken off.

The front office probably thinks he's a great option to bring in, but the club is so backwards with the old boys mentality and culture of the playing group and who they respond to.
The old boys will rally around kevie. The old boys have a place, but they also need to fall in line and stop dining out on nastolgia.

Madge would be an excellent assistant. Only problem is Kevin would get paranoid. Always looking over his shoulder. 2025 will be a big year for Walter's. If he values his job, he'll put in place all the assets to succeed.

We do unearth lots of good player's in our system. Just our depth sucks. Injuries didn't help, but I don't think that will be a good enough excuse next year, or worst case 2026. With the squad we have, we shouldn't be in this position.

Improved is a whole lot more than that

At minimum:
Walsh
Arthars
Cobbo
Jensen
Riki
Patty
Haas (added ballplaying and offloads)
Kobe (was a reserve grader)
Smoothy
Billy

Herbie, Flegler and Palasia all improved before moving on as well

I've excluded Mariner and Ezra, because there's no baseline, but they have improved since starting. Mariner being top try scorer and adding wing play.

Willison similar, but he's looking elite.

Piakura is a regular first grader... probably starter a year too early though

Staggs was elite in about 2020 (I think??), but he has also improved to become an origin player and has upped his workrate
Very generous IMO

Walsh was pushing up through the middle last year but not this year, errors, defensive reads are still bad.

Arthars fair enough.
Cobbo good last year , regressed a little this year.
Jensen same as he's ever been
Riki regressed
Patty fair enough
Haas (added ballplaying and offloads) regressed
Kobe (was a reserve grader) still a reserve grader
Smoothy same
Billy fair enough
Staggs still can't effectively pass or set up his winger.

Improved is a whole lot more than that

At minimum:
Walsh
Arthars
Cobbo
Jensen
Riki
Patty
Haas (added ballplaying and offloads)
Kobe (was a reserve grader)
Smoothy
Billy

Herbie, Flegler and Palasia all improved before moving on as well

I've excluded Mariner and Ezra, because there's no baseline, but they have improved since starting. Mariner being top try scorer and adding wing play.

Willison similar, but he's looking elite.

Piakura is a regular first grader... probably starter a year too early though

Staggs was elite in about 2020 (I think??), but he has also improved to become an origin player and has upped his workrate
TBH.......ARey
has been a better player
when he's been on the field
since coming to Brisbane.

He agrees with the KW system.... 😉

Very generous IMO

Walsh was pushing up through the middle last year but not this year, errors, defensive reads are still bad.

Arthars fair enough.
Cobbo good last year , regressed a little this year.
Jensen same as he's ever been
Riki regressed
Patty fair enough
Haas (added ballplaying and offloads) regressed
Kobe (was a reserve grader) still a reserve grader
Smoothy same
Billy fair enough
Staggs still can't effectively pass or set up his winger.
I was referring to who has progressed under Kevvie's tenure rather than singling out this injury riddled, shortened preseason, zero depth year

TBH.......ARey
has been a better player
when he's been on the field
since coming to Brisbane.

He agrees with the KW system.... 😉
exactly, all the boys love playing under Kevy. Hes good for their morale and culture. The team has had some bad luck and unfortunately all of the slack jawed retards are stamping their feet at the moment. It will change when the broncos start winning games again, which will inevitably happen when our stars stop being injured and start actually playing games.

It's so tough to judge the season/Kev so far. I've swung from he may need to go to he needs time in my head so many times. Push come to shove though I think he needs more time. It has been an god awful season with too much variance with Vegas, injuries, backroom staff moving on, origin etc etc. Everything feels unsettled. Now that origin is over can the club gradually start bringing it together? How we finish will probably provide the answers we're looking for.

It's so tough to judge the season/Kev so far. I've swung from he may need to go to he needs time in my head so many times. Push come to shove though I think he needs more time. It has been an god awful season with too much variance with Vegas, injuries, backroom staff moving on, origin etc etc. Everything feels unsettled. Now that origin is over can the club gradually start bringing it together? How we finish will probably provide the answers we're looking for.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. Even with playing like dogshit we have been in most games up to our ears. One or two flunked opportunities have been the difference between a win or a loss in more than a couple of games, and we could very easily still have been well-entrenched in the 8. Unfortunately unlike last year where we found ways to win those games, this year we're losing them and our ladder position reflects that. So that to some extent goes in Kev's favour.

However, the caveat is there should be zero argument from anyone that we have underachieved even given the injury toll, disrupted preseason, etc etc. As I've said before, there is a serious lack of any structure for the team to fall back on. Kev has been in charge for years, yet we still look like headless fucking chooks out there. We have no set plays. We don't build pressure. We don't seem to work towards an outcome, it's all just hail mary bullshit. It's not good enough at this level and that's squarely on the coaching staff. This is the area which most of us were concerned about with Kev's appointment and so far at least, we've been proven right.

He gets more time, but the clock is absolutely ticking. The current situation is simply not good enough and we have to see at least SOME improvement in key areas...but it's just not happening. Next year is sink or swim IMO. The choice of assistants I feel will make or break him. I'm really hoping he succeeds because the alternative doesn't bear thinking about.

I think the difference between Kevie, and the top tier coaches like Bellamy. Is that Bellamy will coach what it takes to win.
Kevie is a far more principled person and doesn't seem to be as interested in coaching around what the meta of the game is atm. It might be that Kevie just played around the time where Bennett could just cruise and Broncos would win because we were just better across the park. Now we're not and we need to squeeze every advantage possible, even if that means pushing the spirit of the game. Any assistant that can bring that should be the head coach.

Right now, I'd hire the bad guy from Cobra Kai to coach us if that's what it takes to get back to being a winning team.

If the club are going to make any tough decisions around Kevvie, it is for sure going to be sudden. Madge Maguire just became the hottest commodity in football. A free agent premiership coach that just beat the Maroons in a QLD decider.
Madge can coach at Rep level he has shown that, but he has done jack all in the club game for a decade.

Let go: Dearden, Isaako, Capewell, TPJ

Moved on by choice: Herbie, Flegler, Coates, Palasia

Improved as a player: Billy Walters?

Answer?
Oh they weren't moved on by choice, the club couldn't match their offers from other clubs. But hey keep spinning your story to suit your narrative.

Oh they weren't moved on by choice, the club couldn't match their offers from other clubs. But hey keep spinning your story to suit your narrative.
Huh? The club CHOSE not to match the offers.

Do the broncos have a quiet chat with Madge?
Let’s remember that even Ivan Cleary sucked at the Tigers.
Ivan wasn't that bad at Tigers considering what he was working with, with Madge they just went backwards.

Huh? The club CHOSE not to match the offers.
Flegler isn't a real loss when you consider Willison and we essentially lost Herbie when we bumped Staggs contract a year earlier.

Sure we chose if you want to be technical but in reality we were not in a position to match.

Active Now

• pennywisealfie
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.