THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's lose lose for kevy today. We win and everyone gives the credit to reyno. We lose and everyone will blame kevy.

Unbelievable to think a bloke who has been a key player in all but one of our clubs premierships is so unpopular with some of the fans.
I don't see like that. Win or lose I still have so much respect for Kevvie. However, there is still a huge cloud over his coaching ability when it comes to the real hard decisions. Keep in mind that Bennett (who loved Kev like a son) even resorted to sacking him from the coaching staff as he did not see a natural pathway for him into the top job.

Why he has chosen to drop Mozer after last week's breakout game is a head scratcher for me. Especially after the amount of unforced errors his son made. Mozer's pinpoint accurate wide passes straight from the deck is exactly what Ezra and Reece need to allow them to outsmart the opposition who are trying to jam in on them. Billy's method of picking up the ball and taking two or three steps before passing is miles too slow and puts the opposition on early notice as to who is getting the ball.

The sooner Billy is dropped and made to fight his way back into the team from Q cup by producing games that warrant his return the better for everyone involved in the club. This season he has sucked big time.

Why he has chosen to drop Mozer after last week's breakout game is a head scratcher for me.

It's a pretty obvious one, Smoothy can provide cover in at lock if Patty succumbs to the injury he's carrying. You're talking about Billy, Billy has nothing to do with the non-selection of Mozer. Billy and Mozer is the best combination we have in the hooking role, Smoothy offers nothing unless he's 5 out from the try line and catches a defender. Billy at the very least has a running game and can create something off the back of a quick play the ball. He's also got a handy kick on him.

I dont buy Kevvie cant coach because i think he can. I'm still not convinced he's right for a head coach though.
Kevin has been a good assistant coach and learned from the best. There are many good assistants around who never quite made the step up to head coach. Kearney, Cartwright, Hagen, Henry to name a few. Nothing to be ashamed of they’re all good coaches.
Wayne at one time told Kevin to go away and learn how to coach.
Dave D. Told him he would surround him with whoever he needed to succeed but then loaded his contract with KPI's clearly because he wasn’t sure.
Kevin is struggling as head coach of the Brisbane Broncos and now his assistants are leaving.
Time for change.

Kevin has been a good assistant coach and learned from the best. There are many good assistants around who never quite made the step up to head coach. Kearney, Cartwright, Hagen, Henry to name a few. Nothing to be ashamed of they’re all good coaches.
Dave D. Told him he would surround him with whoever he needed to succeed but then loaded his contract with KPI's clearly because he wasn’t sure.
Kevin is struggling as head coach of the Brisbane Broncos and now his assistants are leaving.
Time for change.

I don't agree with that. There are multiple reasons why our season has been the complete opposite to last year.

Making Grand Finals isn't easy mate, particularly when you cop injuries at the start of the year and then you have to go through Origin, it's what makes Penriths achievements unbelievable really.

I'm suggesting we'll finish the season strongly and it won't be the season we were all hoping for but that's part of the game we love, injuries happen and in a salary cap competition they can ruin the season for you. Look at the Roosters, they've had one of the most stacked teams in the NRL for a good while now, haven't had any success for a while though. Warriors last year surprised everyone and made the top four, they're in just as much of a fight as we are to make the 8. Cows the year before that.

I think it's a reality check, without our seasoned Origin players the depth in the team is quite inexperienced and have struggled to live up to the consistent requirements to make it in the NRL, they'll learn what it takes but it takes a bit of time to develop that. I think that's where we've been exposed. We go from having a stacked prop rotation to having to rely on someone like Willison who looks to be a prospect but he's only played 24 games in the NRL. Losing your halfback doesn't help either.

It's a pretty obvious one, Smoothy can provide cover in at lock if Patty succumbs to the injury he's carrying. You're talking about Billy, Billy has nothing to do with the non-selection of Mozer. Billy and Mozer is the best combination we have in the hooking role, Smoothy offers nothing unless he's 5 out from the try line and catches a defender. Billy at the very least has a running game and can create something off the back of a quick play the ball. He's also got a handy kick on him.
In addition to this Billy can cover halfback as he has done multiple times this year.

I don't agree with that. There are multiple reasons why our season has been the complete opposite to last year.

Making Grand Finals isn't easy mate, particularly when you cop injuries at the start of the year and then you have to go through Origin, it's what makes Penriths achievements unbelievable really.

I'm suggesting we'll finish the season strongly and it won't be the season we were all hoping for but that's part of the game we love, injuries happen and in a salary cap competition they can ruin the season for you. Look at the Roosters, they've had one of the most stacked teams in the NRL for a good while now, haven't had any success for a while though. Warriors last year surprised everyone and made the top four, they're in just as much of a fight as we are to make the 8. Cows the year before that.

I think it's a reality check, without our seasoned Origin players the depth in the team is quite inexperienced and have struggled to live up to the consistent requirements to make it in the NRL, they'll learn what it takes but it takes a bit of time to develop that. I think that's where we've been exposed. We go from having a stacked prop rotation to having to rely on someone like Willison who looks to be a prospect but he's only played 24 games in the NRL. Losing your halfback doesn't help either.
Making a grand final is the last thing on my mind - my God,
Others have pointed out we have no structure and been sloppy all year. Don’t look like a well coached football side. Mate that’s on Kevin and his coaching staff.
I don’t care if we miss out on the finals. I would be more than happy to see my team run out and put on 80 minutes of real Brisbane Broncos rugby league instead of the shit they’ve been dishing up all year.

Time for change.

Cartwright was head coach of the Gold Coast ...

Injuries are only an excuse for a lack of talent being out on the field. I can cop losses when you simply dont have the players available. I dont see any excuses though for how we play as a team, our game plan and how we seem to have no structure to what the side is doing.

Ive said it before, if you go all in on this high risk, high reward football gameplan you are so, so reliant on having your best 17 to pick from to make it work. When you dont have that, you need something a little more stable and resilient. This is where i think we are lacking now, we dont seem to want to be pragmatic enough to change how we play when we dont have our big gun playmakers to make us tick.

We probably need to consider that Bennett had a lot of slumps with a roster better than we have now. Even the best coaches have bad patches or areas they’re not great at it.

Cartwright was head coach of the Gold Coast ...
Yes mate and that’s my point. They have all had a shot at head coach in the NRL but just didn’t make it for one reason or another and went back to being assistants. Ivan Henjak was another. Great assistant to Wayne Bennett but we all know what happened when we took him on as head coach.
Can add Kevin to that list sooner or later.

We probably need to consider that Bennett had a lot of slumps with a roster better than we have now. Even the best coaches have bad patches or areas they’re not great at it.

But he always found a way of at least making the finals pretty much with us.

Wayne though has always stuck to what he knows he does well. He's never tried to be anything he isnt. He quite often freshened up his backroom staff when he felt it needed changing. Maybe its something Kevvie should look at doing so he can just concentrate more on his strengths. His best year as a Broncos coach was when he let others take some of the responsibilities from him with training.

But he always found a way of at least making the finals pretty much with us.

Wayne though has always stuck to what he knows he does well. He's never tried to be anything he isnt. He quite often freshened up his backroom staff when he felt it needed changing. Maybe its something Kevvie should look at doing so he can just concentrate more on his strengths. His best year as a Broncos coach was when he let others take some of the responsibilities from him with training.
All true. I reckon we probably didn’t cash in enough under Bennett as he had ridiculously stacked rosters. I feel like our roster this year as a whole is a little bit overrated.

All true. I reckon we probably didn’t cash in enough under Bennett as he had ridiculously stacked rosters. I feel like our roster this year as a whole is a little bit overrated.
Wayne kicked off with what was virtually the best of the Qld side and still took him four years to win a grand final. Still pretty good for such a new team and new head coach.

Injuries are only an excuse for a lack of talent being out on the field. I can cop losses when you simply dont have the players available. I dont see any excuses though for how we play as a team, our game plan and how we seem to have no structure to what the side is doing.

Ive said it before, if you go all in on this high risk, high reward football gameplan you are so, so reliant on having your best 17 to pick from to make it work. When you dont have that, you need something a little more stable and resilient. This is where i think we are lacking now, we dont seem to want to be pragmatic enough to change how we play when we dont have our big gun playmakers to make us tick.
Think in our case the injuries are a fair excuse arey would be the loudest voice out there you would think and being a senior player even if there were multiple ppl calling for the ball his voice would be the one listened to atm and this is only my opinion mind you it seems either there are to many wanting to call the shots and it's confusing or no one is stepping up,that's just how I see it from my armchair lol could be wrong and they are all running round turtling cause they forgot to shit before the game.

Wayne kicked off with what was virtually the best of the Qld side and still took him four years to win a grand final. Still pretty good for such a new team and new head coach.
He’s an amazing man manager that’s for sure. His best premiership was the Dragons one though. He always had the generational talent at the Broncos. The Dragons premiership was his crowning glory.

Think in our case the injuries are a fair excuse arey would be the loudest voice out there you would think and being a senior player even if there were multiple ppl calling for the ball his voice would be the one listened to atm and this is only my opinion mind you it seems either there are to many wanting to call the shots and it's confusing or no one is stepping up,that's just how I see it from my armchair lol could be wrong and they are all running round turtling cause they forgot to shit before the game.

The injuries are 100% the reason we arent winning games. I just think they way we dont execute even simple plays is down to the coaching. Doing the basics is where we are falling down.

Active Now

• Behind enemy lines
  • theshed
  • maddo
  • Fozz
  • hench2020
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.