THE COACH Poll: Should Kevin Walters be sacked?

Should the Broncos replace the coach?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yes, he got us to a grand final, but he also presided over one of the most monumental collapses from an NRL team i've ever seen. Does he get praise for the good, but the bad isnt his fault? Cant have it both ways. Nobody is immune from criticism when its warranted no matter if you are a top bloke or not.

All he seems to do get is get assigned fault, he doesn't get much praise. Everything that goes wrong is his fault, everything that goes right is Reyno's doing.

Yes, he got us to a grand final, but he also presided over one of the most monumental collapses from an NRL team i've ever seen. Does he get praise for the good, but the bad isnt his fault? Cant have it both ways. Nobody is immune from criticism when its warranted no matter if you are a top bloke or not.
It's not about not getting criticism, it's about not giving the full picture. Had we had a mostly healthy roster then yeah be issue and he deserves a lot of blame. Leaving out how bad we have been affected by injuries to push your narrative against him is disingenious.

All he seems to do get is get assigned fault, he doesn't get much praise. Everything that goes wrong is his fault, everything that goes right is Reyno's doing.
This!

Seems like he only cops it when the team is losing... feel like he got no praise for getting the team to a GF from a wooden spoon 3yrs earlier

Dont disagree. I do think some people seem to get at him when we are losing. On the flip side, i think some people refuse to see he has also got some flaws as well.

It's not about not getting criticism, it's about not giving the full picture. Had we had a mostly healthy roster then yeah be issue and he deserves a lot of blame. Leaving out how bad we have been affected by injuries to push your narrative against him is disingenious.

I think thats a crock of shit saying i have a narrative against him that i have left out about our injuries. Go back and actually take the time to read some of my posts. I clearly said in a post earlier today that our injuries are 100% why we arent winning games, and i also clearly said i have no issue with us not winning when we have so many players out.

My argument has been pretty consistent even when we were doing well last year. I think we lack structure and i think we lack a basic game plan when things arent going our way to fall back on.

Dont disagree. I do think some people seem to get at him when we are losing. On the flip side, i think some people refuse to see he has also got some flaws as well.

I haven't seen anyone say he hasn't got flaws, he clearly does but he is also still a relatively new first grade coach. The difference is, those of us behind him are behind him, we are hoping he can turn things around and based on what he has done in his three and a bit years in charge, this is not just coming from thin air.

I can't speak for everyone on Kevvie's side here but for me, while I am worried, I am not ignorant of the massive challenges he has had this year and based on last year, I back him to turn it around. If we are still struggling like this next year and there aren't legitimate reasons for it like a massive injury toll, I'll be less positive as well.

But for now, he has earned the right to cut him a bit of slack and show a bit of faith.

I haven't seen anyone say he hasn't got flaws, he clearly does but he is also still a relatively new first grade coach. The difference is, those of us behind him are behind him, we are hoping he can turn things around and based on what he has done in his three and a bit years in charge, this is not just coming from thin air.

I can't speak for everyone on Kevvie's side here but for me, while I am worried, I am not ignorant of the massive challenges he has had this year and based on last year, I back him to turn it around. If we are still struggling like this next year and there aren't legitimate reasons for it like a massive injury toll, I'll be less positive as well.

But for now, he has earned the right to cut him a bit of slack and show a bit of faith.

The thing is though, i'm pretty much saying the same things you are. I'm just probably a little more critical of certain aspects of what he does.

The only thing i really disagree about is him being a relatively new first grade coach. As a head he's coached in Queensland cup, he's coached in Superleague two years, he's coached Queensland for 3 years and now in his 4th year as Broncos head coach. Thats on top of all his other coaching he has done learning the ropes. He's not a novice.

Yes mate and that’s my point. They have all had a shot at head coach in the NRL but just didn’t make it for one reason or another and went back to being assistants. Ivan Henjak was another. Great assistant to Wayne Bennett but we all know what happened when we took him on as head coach.
Can add Kevin to that list sooner or later.

Injuries are only an excuse for a lack of talent being out on the field. I can cop losses when you simply dont have the players available. I dont see any excuses though for how we play as a team, our game plan and how we seem to have no structure to what the side is doing.

Ive said it before, if you go all in on this high risk, high reward football gameplan you are so, so reliant on having your best 17 to pick from to make it work. When you dont have that, you need something a little more stable and resilient. This is where i think we are lacking now, we dont seem to want to be pragmatic enough to change how we play when we dont have our big gun playmakers to make us tick.
12 months of watching tape means 12 months to come up with counters to the style .
Last year attacking from a long way out on the 4th tackle with the defensive wingers dropped back was innovation . This year the counter has been rehearsed . And Reece keeps running out of space . Then getting the shits with his team mates after he puts them under pressure and the ball gets lost .
What`s that saying about the definition of insanity ? Doing the same thing over again and expecting a different outcome ?

Yes mate and that’s my point. They have all had a shot at head coach in the NRL but just didn’t make it for one reason or another and went back to being assistants. Ivan Henjak was another. Great assistant to Wayne Bennett but we all know what happened when we took him on as head coach.
Can add Kevin to that list sooner or later.

Well , you didn`t do a very good job of communicating your point .
You said ;
There are many good assistants around who never quite made the step up to head coach.
There`s a few who did make the step up on that list .
Thing is they had to make the step down again . I understand now that`s what you were wanting to say .

. Briers by all accounts has an offer he wants to take up at Souths.

WTF ??
All accounts ?? I read the other day he was going home to be a head coach up north in old Blighty . Your source is a niggling troll from Redfern ?

Bit quiet in here, the boys must have had a win.
Hasn't changed my mind. If anything it's reinforced my thoughts about Kev.
If 1 player is so integral to our team that everything turns to shit without him, especially when that player is 33 and injury prone then he needs to be capable of coaching around it.

I am suffering short-term memory loss, who got him to the club again?

Hasn't changed my mind. If anything it's reinforced my thoughts about Kev.
If 1 player is so integral to our team that everything turns to shit without him, especially when that player is 33 and injury prone then he needs to be capable of coaching around it.
mate if anything it showed how utterly reliant we are on one player (reynolds). not sure that's a selling point for kev.
One player? Oh yes. Walsh, Carrigan, Haas & Reynolds. Of course, one player indeed!

mate if anything it showed how utterly reliant we are on one player (reynolds). not sure that's a selling point for kev.
Yeah, imagine a team being reliant on their star halfback? Unheard of! There is a reason good halfbacks are paid so little, plenty of them and and they have next to no impact on a teams performance.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Nerd
  • mrslong
  • Financeguy
  • johnny plath
  • eazy-duzzit
  • BooKhaki
  • upthebroncs
  • Fitzy
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • barker
  • GCBRONCO
  • bb_gun
  • Santa
  • Redfern_1980
  • kman
  • HarryAllan7
  • RolledOates
  • pagey
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.