THE COACH Kevin Walters

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
If you read between the lines he’s basically calling Brisbane stupid for not following a game plan
Haha well he's not entirely wrong there. I remember he was once giving Flegler some instructions at half time, and Flegler had absolutely no clue what was going on. He was completely lost and just kept nodding his head. I can't imagine the message would of been all that difficult either.

Either way, he'll never evolve as a coach if he can't admit that his overall coaching and game plans sucked at the Broncos.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Watching what Fitzgibbon has achieved with Cronulla in just 6 games, all it does is illustrate how not up to snuff Walters is.
not saying that he isn't better but situation is apples and oranges. one club has been successful for a number of years and one was spooners with a fucked cap , so the only way you can compare is if fitzgibbon was in the same situation.

NSW stables

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019
Kev has done as much as I expected kev to do. He has done his best to improve the mood around the club and the players do actually look like they are putting in an effort and give a shit (which was absent in the seibold era).

However, I dont think he has it in him to be a top coach and you can see that in our structures. I understand that the club does not want to turn into a basket case club that churns through coaches so I definitely think you bring in top shelf assistant with intent for that person to be the coach at the end of Kevin's tenure at the end of 2023.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Haha well he's not entirely wrong there. I remember he was once giving Flegler some instructions at half time, and Flegler had absolutely no clue what was going on. He was completely lost and just kept nodding his head. I can't imagine the message would of been all that difficult either.

Either way, he'll never evolve as a coach if he can't admit that his overall coaching and game plans sucked at the Broncos.
“Okay Flegler, remember what we spoke about at training: maroon team good other team bad”

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Looking at our opening 10 round draw, what do you guys think a pass mark would be as far as wins?

I think we were very unlikely to ever beat Roosters or Panthers and I don’t think anyone expected us to beat the Bunnies. That leaves 7 games that were winnable but you obviously aren’t going to win them all.

I think considering our opponents and form over the last few years 4 wins out of our opening 10 games is a decent effort. 5/10 would be a pretty good achievement - this is pretty impossible now as it would require us to win 3 a row for the first time in years.

Won’t be easy considering our next opponents are Bulldogs, Sharks, Bunnies and Manly. Kev really needs to find a way to win 2 of the 4. Bulldogs are obviously our best chance but that’s not even a given.

Finishing 3/10 will be disappointing while losing the next 4 on a trot should basically be a death sentence.

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
not saying that he isn't better but situation is apples and oranges. one club has been successful for a number of years and one was spooners with a fucked cap , so the only way you can compare is if fitzgibbon was in the same situation.
It’s exactly what happened with Seibold, he was relatively successful with a team that were known winners in a rebuild, the broncos fell for it hook line and sinker.

Santa

Santa

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jun 30, 2020
Looking at our opening 10 round draw, what do you guys think a pass mark would be as far as wins?

I think we were very unlikely to ever beat Roosters or Panthers and I don’t think anyone expected us to beat the Bunnies. That leaves 7 games that were winnable but you obviously aren’t going to win them all.

I think considering our opponents and form over the last few years 4 wins out of our opening 10 games is a decent effort. 5/10 would be a pretty good achievement - this is pretty impossible now as it would require us to win 3 a row for the first time in years.

Won’t be easy considering our next opponents are Bulldogs, Sharks, Bunnies and Manly. Kev really needs to find a way to win 2 of the 4. Bulldogs are obviously our best chance but that’s not even a given.

Finishing 3/10 will be disappointing while losing the next 4 on a trot should basically be a death sentence.
We are better then the Bulldogs, and I think we can manage South's without Latrell. Besides last years game we also go ok against Manly. Sharks are killing it though, so that will be the toughest game of the 4. Also point to note, is that 3 of those games are at home so hopefully that helps.

But after that we have Knights, Titans and Raiders. All winnable games.

Problem is we seem to play on the level of our opposition. We need to put in the same effort against the lower ranked teams as we did against the Roosters/Penrith, and we should be good.

Pass mark is at least 50%. Keeps you in the top 8 contention too.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

Kev's already failed to me. He needs to go, the only issue is, there's not much out there but I hope DD is in talks with Ciraldo with a big money 2-3 year deal.

Getting belted by the Warriors and Cowboys is all I need to know, to know we aren't better and we still suck. Against Penrith we were complete shit in the second half and basically raised the white flag. Not acceptable, I don't care who we had out.

Kev needs to go, we're just delaying the inevitable but the players don't need to know that until we have a new coach lined up first.

B

Brotherdu

NRL Player
Feb 20, 2017
If Walsh couldn't see a pathway into the first grade side when Isaako was fullback he was blind.

Walsh left for more money and a quicker (but not better) route
What is the logic behind the Bronco's being a better route?

The warriors finished above us on the ladder last year, they are above us on the ladder this year. He gets to play with Sean Johnston this year and last year, he got to learn off RTS.

I mean, I'm pissed he left too, but really, what are are we offering over the warriors currently? Reserve grade behind Isaako/Niu or play in a side getting flogged by 30 each week. Lets face it, Kevvy couldn't see it, but he was ready to play first grade, and would have been an upgrade on Niu and Isaako.

Maybe in a year or 2 we will prove to be the better option, but so far, he's got paid and has 20 odd games under his belt that he wouldn't have got with us.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016

Sharks are a top 4 team or thereabouts this year... wins against them should not be expected.

I wouldve thought we would split the games against dogs, but we've already won the away game so realistically we should sweep them.

Games against any of the top 4 would be a no.

Game against Souths was winnable at full strength then we lost Arey denting our chances, but won it anyway.

Games against cows and warriors should've been wins.

If we can get 3-4 wins in our first 10 I would've had that as about a pass mark.

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
We have a roster capable of making the finals, the club have said the same thing, if Kevvie can’t get them there then he isn’t up to it. As soon as it becomes a mathematical impossibility the club have to start planning for next year with someone else.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
We have a roster capable of making the finals, the club have said the same thing, if Kevvie can’t get them there then he isn’t up to it. As soon as it becomes a mathematical impossibility the club have to start planning for next year with someone else.
Of course the club is going to say that... they were saying it when we won the spoon.

The last time they even hinted at "rebuild" the media jumped down their throat.

That word is basically taboo at the club nowadays and they will go to great lengths to avoid saying it in an interview or presser.

"Broncos dont do rebuilds"
"Finals is the goal every year.... but we want to be up their competing for premierships again"... i.e. how to say "we're rebuilding" without saying "we're rebuilding"

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015

I actually got told by players they didnt know what he he wanted them to do. And tbf, they seemed to like the bloke, he just was incapable of getting his point across.

His biggest issue regardless of anything else was Wayne got into his head. Once that happened, Seibold made the huge mistake of trying to wipe out any trace of him from Red Hill. He just couldnt handle it.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
If we're still hovering around the bottom come Round 20 or so, I think the club will be eyeing off those performance clauses in Kev's contract with interest. I think they were expecting something close to a top 8 finish this season as much as we were.

Active Now

• Alec
  • Aldo
  • Financeguy
  • Battler
  • Bucking Beads
  • Sproj
  • marw
  • mrslong
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • BroncosAlways
  • Waynesaurus
  • Jazza
  • Howie
  • MrTickyMcG
  • winslow_wong
  • Manofoneway
  • Galah
  • Spooky1013
  • Volvo Driver
  • Redfern_1980
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.