THE COACH Kevin Walters

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I actually got told by players they didnt know what he he wanted them to do. And tbf, they seemed to like the bloke, he just was incapable of getting his point across.

His biggest issue regardless of anything else was Wayne got into his head. Once that happened, Seibold made the huge mistake of trying to wipe out any trace of him from Red Hill. He just couldnt handle it.
Yeah, any coach taking over the broncos, especially at that time, needed to do the cool stepdad approach and have the whole “I know I’m not you’re real father” talk.

Skyblues87

Skyblues87

QCup Player
Feb 9, 2017
We have a roster capable of making the finals, the club have said the same thing, if Kevvie can’t get them there then he isn’t up to it. As soon as it becomes a mathematical impossibility the club have to start planning for next year with someone else.
Agreed. Top 8 this season is the minimum requirement. If we fail KW will be gone.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Agreed. Top 8 this season is the minimum requirement. If we fail KW will be gone.
I won’t say it’s the minimum requirement necessarily but he should at least have a 50% win rate and clear signs that structures and attitude issues have been fixed.

We have a pretty soft run home so even with a poor season he could fool those in power with another seemingly strong finish to the season.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
If we're still hovering around the bottom come Round 20 or so, I think the club will be eyeing off those performance clauses in Kev's contract with interest. I think they were expecting something close to a top 8 finish this season as much as we were.
They can but good luck finding another coach who will be as cheap as Kevvie and will accept those same clauses in their contract.

If they do intend to move Kevvie on they will also need to be careful about how they do the transition.

If they knife him in the back the same way they did Wayne then whoever they anoint will be on a hiding to nothing and instantly hated by the playing group... regardless of what you say about Kevvie the playing group are still playing for him.

Sacking a coach when he hasn't actually lost the playing group is fraught with danger

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
They can but good luck finding another coach who will be as cheap as Kevvie and will accept those same clauses in their contract.

If they do intend to move Kevvie on they will also need to be careful about how they do the transition.

If they knife him in the back the same way they did Wayne then whoever they anoint will be on a hiding to nothing and instantly hated by the playing group... regardless of what you say about Kevvie the playing group are still playing for him.

Sacking a coach when he hasn't actually lost the playing group is fraught with danger
Are they though? They've capitulated like twice in 4 weeks. Hardly screams dying for your coach.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013

The players can suck it up. If they gave that much of a shit about Kev's job they would be going out there every week busting their asses. Instead they continue to put it in the "too hard" basket at half time and clock off.

What they need is a real hard ass, and that is one thing Kev is not. Unfortunately for us, all the best hard asses are well locked up elsewhere.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
The players can suck it up. If they gave that much of a shit about Kev's job they would be going out there every week busting their asses. Instead they continue to put it in the "too hard" basket at half time and clock off.
Yep just like they sucked it up when Wayne was moved on 👍👍

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Are they though? They've capitulated like twice in 4 weeks. Hardly screams dying for your coach.
They're a shit team ... getting spanked by top 4 teams should be expected.

They can still be turning up and playing for the coach but get outclassed by the opposition... and suspect officiating.

Not playing for your coach happened in 2020 when we routinely got 50 put on us

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
That's still a debatable call.
I think the call was right but the admin absolutely shit the bed with it.

I would've liked to see Wayne see out his final year and there be nothing spoken about his contract situation until he was in his final year.

Wayne was open about it and said he just wanted to be involved in the discussions about who was going to be the next coach, but the admin wanted a shiny new toy and started making the moves 18 months before Wayne was actually finishing up.

It was a kick in the guts to Wayne, the players and the fans ... all because the back office wanted their new toy.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010

The thing I respect most about Kev is a think he really has the clubs best interest at heart. I think if DD and Ikin sit him down and say it straight - the players like you and you’ve done some great things for club culture but we just aren’t getting the results. We’ve been speaking to potential coaches about the top gig and assistant roles and here are the options. Would you like to stay on as a figure head and give control of x aspects of the team to person(s) x, would you like to stay on as an assistant to head coach options x. Would you like to move into a Mal Meninga type head of culture role. Would you like to ride off into the sunset and be publicly praised for all the hard work you’ve done at the clubs lowest point.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
The thing I respect most about Kev is a think he really has the clubs best interest at heart. I think if DD and Ikin sit him down and say it straight - the players like you and you’ve done some great things for club culture but we just aren’t getting the results. We’ve been speaking to potential coaches about the top gig and assistant roles and here are the options. Would you like to stay on as a figure head and give control of x aspects of the team to person(s) x, would you like to stay on as an assistant to head coach options x. Would you like to move into a Mal Meninga type head of culture role. Would you like to ride off into the sunset and be publicly praised for all the hard work you’ve done at the clubs lowest point.
I think Kev could absolutely do a role for us as a Mal Meninga type coach.

It worked for him in Origin with Neil Henry being the tactician... I would love to see how we go under that sort of setup.

At the absolute minimum we need a defensive coach in their to sort us out.

I think our attack looks reasonable at times inside the 20m, but we're just never down there. So from that sense I think Kevvie is looking after the attack, but with how much he talks about defence he's probably looking after that too... when in reality it should be one of his assistants doing it. But considering he was CEO, GM of football and head coach last year, it wouldn't surprise me if he was taking on more than he can handle

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008

What they need is a real hard ass, and that is one thing Kev is not. Unfortunately for us, all the best hard asses are well locked up elsewhere.
IMO the ‘playing for your coach’ thing is a bit vague, on face value at least.. players give that impression they’re playing for a coach when they strongly believe in what the coach has instilled in them individually and as a group.. when a team takes that type of confidence into the field, they feel bulletproof. They believe in themselves and they trust the teammates around them 100%..

When a playing group is unsure about the methods or the message from the coach or the job the coach has assigned them individually, that’s when they get isolated and look like 17 individuals on the field.. and players are so quick to pick up any semblance of self doubt in a coach or when a coach doesn’t really know what they’re doing..

You look at a team like Cronulla.. they’re not playing for Craig Fitzgibbon because he’s a great bloke, they’ve clearly bought in to what he’s come in and instilled

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
Looking at our opening 10 round draw, what do you guys think a pass mark would be as far as wins?
If playing finals football was really the ‘pass’ mark for the club then 5 wins from the first 10 would have been the expectation. Realistically though 4 is probably a pass mark for both team and coach. Losing both Cowboys and Warriors games was really poor.

The bulldogs game is massive otherwise the parallels to 2020 will hang over the club.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
I think Kev could absolutely do a role for us as a Mal Meninga type coach.

It worked for him in Origin with Neil Henry being the tactician... I would love to see how we go under that sort of setup.

At the absolute minimum we need a defensive coach in their to sort us out.

I think our attack looks reasonable at times inside the 20m, but we're just never down there. So from that sense I think Kevvie is looking after the attack, but with how much he talks about defence he's probably looking after that too... when in reality it should be one of his assistants doing it. But considering he was CEO, GM of football and head coach last year, it wouldn't surprise me if he was taking on more than he can handle
I think our attack is getting there and Reynolds is a genius player only held back by his Everyman physique. I’m not too worried about attack long term.

The good thing about Kev is that he’s on peanuts. The club in theory should be able to blow most clubs out of the water when it comes to paying their assistant coach.

I live in a dreamworld where Ciraldo gets paid head coach money to sort out our defence. While Kev gets by on his assistant coach salary.

Coach: Kev
Defensive coach: Ciraldo
Assistant coach: Ballen

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
Kevvie has already said in the past finals is the expectation. If he cant make it this year he probably knows himself he is gone.
should be a few players out the door with him if that happens bout time they own some of the shit performances too

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Maroon4life
  • BroncosAlways
  • thenry
  • Manofoneway
  • Accept
  • Organix
  • Bucking Beads
  • Justwin
  • Gobroncos
  • Tmac
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Harry Sack
  • Battler
  • Galah
  • Swordfish
  • Nerd
  • Financeguy
  • Big Del
  • Painin the Haas
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.