A767DF94-60A7-47C6-95F0-7FA8A97DF600.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 56
Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I don't rate O'Brien but I like the way he put the spotlight on officiating:

Would love to see Kevvie do something like that.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I don't rate O'Brien but I like the way he put the spotlight on officiating:

Would love to see Kevvie do something like that.

not really sure it's having an effect.

Payten was complaining as well regards to the struggling sides being hard done by the refs and nothing has changed.

Since the NRL administration aren't very smart, maybe the coaches can trick them. get a rooster polo and put up the Roosters sign behind them during the post match press conference. trick the NRL into thinking these issues are actually being brought up by one of their favourites

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Regarding Flanagan. The blokes an idiot. He either states the obvious on commentary or is just completely wrong. I'm not sure his coaching was what won them a premiership either. It was a mix of having a good team with players clicking at the right time and being that years NRL fairytale.

The Strapper

The Strapper

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 21, 2015
You look at a team like Cronulla.. they’re not playing for Craig Fitzgibbon because he’s a great bloke, they’ve clearly bought in to what he’s come in and instilled
Agree and when Fitzgibbon has been there long enough to establish a personal bond with the players and get them to play for him as well as buy into what he is doing they will challenge for a premiership.

Could happen sooner rather than later.

The Strapper

The Strapper

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 21, 2015
Not so sure about this soft run home suggestion:

Round 18 - Titans away - our recent history suggests that this will be a difficult one to win

Round 19 - Eels away - no need to say anymore

Round 20 - Tigers home - you would hope this will be an easy win

Round 21 - Roosters away - hmmmm, somehow don't see us winning this one

Round 22 - Knights home - probably a flip of the coin depending on injuries and whether Ponga is playing and interested that day

Round 23 - Storm - home - kill me now to save me from the pain of watching this

Round 24 - Eels - home - Eels probably in the hunt for a top 4 position - I am calling this a loss

Round 25 - Dragons away - another flip of the coin - with our away history odds favour Saints.

Potentially 1 - 3 from the last 8.
I'm uncomfortable with how much sense that makes.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Coaches have found a way to have a dig at the refs without copping the fine for doing so with their "us smaller teams aren't getting the calls" theory, the refs won't give a shit about that. They'll probably be saying amongst themselves that coaches need to coach their teams better to defend these calls.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
In all seriousness.

1)There are no other coaching options out there capable.
2)There are no active mentors or coaching directors out there.

Smith/Thurston wont jump on board in any role as they are QRL signed and focused. Our only real coaching director boss man available is Meninga. I don't think he would be interested in a such a job even if part time as his focus is family and has achieved pinnacle in the sport anyway.

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
In all seriousness.

1)There are no other coaching options out there capable.
2)There are no active mentors or coaching directors out there.

Smith/Thurston wont jump on board in any role as they are QRL signed and focused. Our only real coaching director boss man available is Meninga. I don't think he would be interested in a such a job even if part time as his focus is family and has achieved pinnacle in the sport anyway.
A lawn chair would do a better job than Kevvie, it can sit on the sideline too…

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
This could all have been solved if we let Wayne have another year then move him into head of coaching type role. 😆
what an incredible 'sliding doors moment' that whole unfortunate episode was.. Just imagine how things might look now for the Broncos if what you mentioned above had transpired and also for Anthony Seibold.. He may very well have been into his fifth successful year as head coach of the Rabbitohs.

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
what an incredible 'sliding doors moment' that whole unfortunate episode was.. Just imagine how things might look now for the Broncos if what you mentioned above had transpired and also for Anthony Seibold.. He may very well have been into his fifth successful year as head coach of the Rabbitohs.
Bennett would have said he didn’t want to retire from coaching yet and the whole thing would have blown up again. He’s still going now ffs, he was never going to just retire.

HarryAllan7

HarryAllan7

QCup Player
Jul 20, 2017
It's amazing the difference a little consistency can make.

Had we played to our potential in extremely winnable Cowboys and Warriors games then we are 4/6 with only a close loss to the Roosters and a tough game against the Panthers. Nobody would be questioning Kev then. With a few things going our way against Roosters, we could have even been 5/6. We've shown potential over the year for that record to be within reach.

But a few lazy performances and dropping games we should win suddenly puts the pressure on. We're a very young team still and inexperience is to be expected - it's not going to be resolved overnight. I think we've been better this year than our record suggests and have to give Kevvie some credit for that...

BUT I have to agree that it seems like middle-of-the-table seems like the best we can hope for under Walters. We are still not playing like a top notch footy side. It's all well and good to grind out wins through heart and dedication and individual brilliance, but to sustain success, the team needs to be playing in a system, with set roles, structures and shapes which all players can fall back on and follow procedures - so everyone knows what they should be doing at all times.

We still play the way teams used to play when Kevvie was in the 6 jersey... A slow hooker who does nothing but tackles and passes, creating no danger or engagement around DH, a first-choice lock (when he is healthy) who is simply a battering ram in the middle with no ball playing role or ability, forwards who stand in the tackle for an eternity and refuse to go to ground ... these are all completely the opposite of the method for success in modern rugby league. Either Kevvie doesn't know it or doesnt know how / doesnt want to implement it, but its clear as day. Teams that play the same style of footy as us are down the bottom of the ladder for a reason.

Kevvie has done a great job steadying the ship and getting us back on track, but his ceiling as a coach is very low and we need to be looking for the next coach who can take us back into contender territory. It will be painful and there will be hurt feelings cutting ties with Kevvie, but it's absolutely necessary in my opinion and we should be searching for a succession plan NOW, while we still have Reynolds.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
It's amazing the difference a little consistency can make.

Had we played to our potential in extremely winnable Cowboys and Warriors games then we are 4/6 with only a close loss to the Roosters and a tough game against the Panthers. Nobody would be questioning Kev then. With a few things going our way against Roosters, we could have even been 5/6. We've shown potential over the year for that record to be within reach.

But a few lazy performances and dropping games we should win suddenly puts the pressure on. We're a very young team still and inexperience is to be expected - it's not going to be resolved overnight. I think we've been better this year than our record suggests and have to give Kevvie some credit for that...

BUT I have to agree that it seems like middle-of-the-table seems like the best we can hope for under Walters. We are still not playing like a top notch footy side. It's all well and good to grind out wins through heart and dedication and individual brilliance, but to sustain success, the team needs to be playing in a system, with set roles, structures and shapes which all players can fall back on and follow procedures - so everyone knows what they should be doing at all times.

We still play the way teams used to play when Kevvie was in the 6 jersey... A slow hooker who does nothing but tackles and passes, creating no danger or engagement around DH, a first-choice lock (when he is healthy) who is simply a battering ram in the middle with no ball playing role or ability, forwards who stand in the tackle for an eternity and refuse to go to ground ... these are all completely the opposite of the method for success in modern rugby league. Either Kevvie doesn't know it or doesnt know how / doesnt want to implement it, but its clear as day. Teams that play the same style of footy as us are down the bottom of the ladder for a reason.

Kevvie has done a great job steadying the ship and getting us back on track, but his ceiling as a coach is very low and we need to be looking for the next coach who can take us back into contender territory. It will be painful and there will be hurt feelings cutting ties with Kevvie, but it's absolutely necessary in my opinion and we should be searching for a succession plan NOW, while we still have Reynolds.

Totally agree. I’m not giving up on Kevvie yet but we definitely need a gun assistant who is being groomed for succession.

Unread

Active Now

• Brocko
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Pablo
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.