THE COACH Kevin Walters

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
In all seriousness.

1)There are no other coaching options out there capable.
2)There are no active mentors or coaching directors out there.

Smith/Thurston wont jump on board in any role as they are QRL signed and focused. Our only real coaching director boss man available is Meninga. I don't think he would be interested in a such a job even if part time as his focus is family and has achieved pinnacle in the sport anyway.
We should be sounding out Kristian Woolf to see if he is interested in a tilt at the NRL. I said the same thing about Fitzgibbon two years ago.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Totally agree. I’m not giving up on Kevvie yet but we definitely need a gun assistant who is being groomed for succession.
Kevvie does not want a gun assistant, that is why he has chosen the assistants he has. He was given the opportunity to go shopping for better assistants but kept the current two and only added Ballin.

A gun assistant coach is a threat to a struggling coach.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
It's amazing the difference a little consistency can make.

Had we played to our potential in extremely winnable Cowboys and Warriors games then we are 4/6 with only a close loss to the Roosters and a tough game against the Panthers. Nobody would be questioning Kev then. With a few things going our way against Roosters, we could have even been 5/6. We've shown potential over the year for that record to be within reach.

But a few lazy performances and dropping games we should win suddenly puts the pressure on. We're a very young team still and inexperience is to be expected - it's not going to be resolved overnight. I think we've been better this year than our record suggests and have to give Kevvie some credit for that...

BUT I have to agree that it seems like middle-of-the-table seems like the best we can hope for under Walters. We are still not playing like a top notch footy side. It's all well and good to grind out wins through heart and dedication and individual brilliance, but to sustain success, the team needs to be playing in a system, with set roles, structures and shapes which all players can fall back on and follow procedures - so everyone knows what they should be doing at all times.

We still play the way teams used to play when Kevvie was in the 6 jersey... A slow hooker who does nothing but tackles and passes, creating no danger or engagement around DH, a first-choice lock (when he is healthy) who is simply a battering ram in the middle with no ball playing role or ability, forwards who stand in the tackle for an eternity and refuse to go to ground ... these are all completely the opposite of the method for success in modern rugby league. Either Kevvie doesn't know it or doesnt know how / doesnt want to implement it, but its clear as day. Teams that play the same style of footy as us are down the bottom of the ladder for a reason.

Kevvie has done a great job steadying the ship and getting us back on track, but his ceiling as a coach is very low and we need to be looking for the next coach who can take us back into contender territory. It will be painful and there will be hurt feelings cutting ties with Kevvie, but it's absolutely necessary in my opinion and we should be searching for a succession plan NOW, while we still have Reynolds.
I'm not giving up on Kevvie just yet, because I think we are also hamstrung by the squad.

They're talented athletes, but maybe they arent all that great at implementing what the coach is telling them to do... they're only just now working under good experienced players and role models in Reynolds and Capewell, who also provide value on the field in terms of football talent.

Glenn and Boyd were senior players and role models, but were breaking down and unable to contribute on the field. Most other guys contributed on the field at times, but weren't senior enough to demand respect from the rest of the group... so we basically had a squad of individuals who couldn't rely on a leader on the field to bring them home and the talented guys on the field weren't necessarily the best role models of it to demand respect across the group... or weren't doing it consistently enough on the field to instill trust and confidence across the other players.

With Reynolds and Capewell we have both aspects covered... success on the field will bring confidence to the young guys, which will then bring more success. A confident Staggs is up there as one of the most potent attacking weapons in the comp... if he can rely on his inside men to do a job and know that Arey will give him opportunities that will translate into confidence for him.

We need to keep a look out for more of these guys that are talented hard working guys without blowing the bank account.

I see what we have done inside the 20m to know that Kevvie can get things working with our attack if he has the players to do it.

What I dont see is understanding in defence, but to me that shouldn't necessarily be Kevvie's job... he is responsible for delegating it correctly though.

I also dont see fundamentals being followed (get out sets, controlling the ruck, etc.)... that is on Kevvie, but that's where I also feel like the lack of footy IQ in the squad isn't helping. Kevvie might know exactly what's needed and might be drilling it into these guys heads, but they're not smart enough to take it in and replicate it effectively on the field. I dont necessarily think it's attitude or mental as to why they're not doing it, just a lack of smarts within the players.

Dazza 92

Dazza 92

NRL Captain
Oct 13, 2014
I'm not giving up on Kevvie just yet, because I think we are also hamstrung by the squad.

They're talented athletes, but maybe they arent all that great at implementing what the coach is telling them to do... they're only just now working under good experienced players and role models in Reynolds and Capewell, who also provide value on the field in terms of football talent.

Glenn and Boyd were senior players and role models, but were breaking down and unable to contribute on the field. Most other guys contributed on the field at times, but weren't senior enough to demand respect from the rest of the group... so we basically had a squad of individuals who couldn't rely on a leader on the field to bring them home and the talented guys on the field weren't necessarily the best role models of it to demand respect across the group... or weren't doing it consistently enough on the field to instill trust and confidence across the other players.

With Reynolds and Capewell we have both aspects covered... success on the field will bring confidence to the young guys, which will then bring more success. A confident Staggs is up there as one of the most potent attacking weapons in the comp... if he can rely on his inside men to do a job and know that Arey will give him opportunities that will translate into confidence for him.

We need to keep a look out for more of these guys that are talented hard working guys without blowing the bank account.
...look, i agree with this, but with a caveat.

What i would want if i was the Broncos management, after paying good dollars to bring the likes of Capewell and Reynolds in is say to the rest of them;

"Folks, these guys (Reynolds & Capewell) are the standard now, this is the level of training, professionlism and game production that this club now demands. We will invest in your development, we will provide the best this sport can offer in terms of training and nutrition advice etc....but from now on, you ARE on notice. Prove you are worthy to be the future of the Broncos and emulate these senior players in your day to day jobs.."*

Or something like that...

It cannot ALL be on the coach...not this time...

*Haas exempt from this...:happy:

mrslong

mrslong

International Rep
Mar 25, 2008
Is anyone else a bit disapointed in Capewell. Aside from the field goal game he has been AWOL and a penalty magnet when he is sighted. I really thought he'd shore up that defence and kick chase, but not so far...

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
...look, i agree with this, but with a caveat.

What i would want if i was the Broncos management, after paying good dollars to bring the likes of Capewell and Reynolds in is say to the rest of them;

"Folks, these guys (Reynolds & Capewell) are the standard now, this is the level of training, professionlism and game production that this club now demands. We will invest in your development, we will provide the best this sport can offer in terms of training and nutrition advice etc....but from now on, you ARE on notice. Prove you are worthy to be the future of the Broncos and emulate these senior players in your day to day jobs.."*

Or something like that...

It cannot ALL be on the coach...not this time...

*Haas exempt from this...:happy:
That kind of mentality needs to be led by Kevvie, but also reinforced by the Reynolds and Capewells of the team.

Storm are so good, because their senior leaders drive the standards... Bellamy is the leader of that team but his senior players hold everyone accountable as well. It doesn't always fall back on the coach to be the bad guy, when every player is holding each other accountable.

A lot of the guys in the team don't really seem to be all that vocal ... we need strong voices in the squad, but they also need to be constructive to get respect from the rest of the group.

Haas for example is the number one prop in the game, but he's not all that vocal to call out players for cutting corners. He'll just go about his work and make sure he's not cutting any corners... Capewell on the other hand seems like the guy that would call out other players in the squad.

We need to make sure having Reynolds and Capewell is the start of fostering a strong leadership group and find some more recruits to add to it so it doesn't fizzle out when they retire.

I feel like Carrigan will end up in that mold of player and I think his performances on the field are starting to garner respect within the NRL, which then leads to respect within the playing group.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Is anyone else a bit disapointed in Capewell. Aside from the field goal game he has been AWOL and a penalty magnet when he is sighted. I really thought he'd shore up that defence and kick chase, but not so far...
Nah I've got no issues with Capewell.

He's not there as a bash and barge workhorse forward... our second rowers are there to defend and provide an option to the halves.

On the kick chase Reynolds is a right foot kicker and has mainly been targetting the right side of the field, but I've noticed that Capewell does often lead the kick chase when it goes left... sometimes he's there on his own and might hold up to wait for support, but he's putting in work.

I think that left sided half hasn't been all that great this year so he's probably not getting a whole lot of ball as it is and as a team we just haven't been creating all that much to start out the year.

He's not a Fifita that will create the opportunities, but he is a footy player that just ends up around the ball. If there's a loose ball he'll probably end up being the one to dive on it.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
We should be sounding out Kristian Woolf to see if he is interested in a tilt at the NRL. I said the same thing about Fitzgibbon two years ago.
apparently ditched us last time he was here so not sure if there's an issue there or not.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
We still let our heads drop too easily when we get put under pressure.
Agreed. Two problems causing that for me are:

1)The squad doesn't know winning or battling.
2)Coaching hasnt hardened these guys enough. Its a tough line to get them battle ready through training vs learning in game - i think the training battle ready is lacking.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Agreed. Two problems causing that for me are:

1)The squad doesn't know winning or battling.
2)Coaching hasnt hardened these guys enough. its a tough line to get them battle ready through training vs learning in game - i think the training battle ready is lacking.

I think it is in the coaching and training tbh. The little structures in defence we have seem to just evaporate when things go wrong

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Kevvie does not want a gun assistant, that is why he has chosen the assistants he has. He was given the opportunity to go shopping for better assistants but kept the current two and only added Ballin.

A gun assistant coach is a threat to a struggling coach.
but yet would make him a better coach 🤔

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
I think it is in the coaching and training tbh. The little structures in defence we have seem to just evaporate when things go wrong
Its almost like the structures and plans have such little scope, as soon as it falls outside of this they become lost.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
I must also say. Our problems are huge with FB.

When i was playing FB here, i was lucky to have 2 NSW origin players at centres in the same team. My job was to muster the cattle everywhere and watch, understand and predict the attack. Yell and scream hustling anyone to match their man and get ahead of the attack.

We have jack shit going on in that department. Hell, we have a FB who cant even compete for a high ball or make the right brain decision in crunch situations. The greatest asset a FB has is vision of whats being set up and going on .

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Not sure if this has been posted already but an article today highlighted that this is the worst attacking start to a season in broncos history. 77 points after 6 rounds.

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
I must also say. Our problems are huge with FB.

When i was playing FB here, i was lucky to have 2 NSW origin players at centres in the same team. My job was to muster the cattle everywhere and watch, understand and predict the attack. Yell and scream hustling anyone to match their man and get ahead of the attack.

We have jack shit going on in that department. Hell, we have a FB who cant even compete for a high ball or make the right brain decision in crunch situations. The greatest asset a FB has is vision of whats being set up and going on .
Explain this.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Not sure if this has been posted already but an article today highlighted that this is the worst attacking start to a season in broncos history. 77 points after 6 rounds.
How the hell has this start been worse than 2020... we copped at least 2x 50pt drubbings within the first 4 rounds that year and barely had the ball in good territory the entire year

Unread

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.