Kevvie needs to get on the beers

Do other clubs have a close connection between old boys and the current playing group?

just reeks of the old players being full of themselves and trying to remain relevant t

Sounds like Tallis wasn't even invited and heard it second hand from somebody who was supposed to be going. He is a loud mouth flog most of the time. If Kev didn't cancel this the optics would be terrible, after a poor loss the boys are at the races. Parker is right, offer to have a coffee, come down to a Sunday session and offer encouragement. Taking pot shots at the club in the media is not a good look. Plus Tallis is a Titan and played a role in a player raid, I would keep him on the outer his motives are suspect.

Last edited:
Sounds like Tallis wasn't even invited and heard it second hand from somebody who was supposed to be going. He is a loud mouth flog most of the time. If Kev didn't cancel this the optics would be terrible, after a poor loss the boys are at the races. Parker is right, offer to have a coffee, come down to a Sunday session and offer encouragement. Taking pot shots at the club in the media is not a good look. Plus Tallis is a Titan and played a role in a player raid, I would keep him on the outer his motives are suspect.

If Kevv agreed it shouldn't go ahead, it's fine with me.

I've said it before and i'll say it again ... all the old boys need to shut the **** up, especially now they got what they wanted ... all opening their traps in any sort of negative way is going to do is undermine what Kevvie is trying to build (or rebuild) here
Their freedom to speak is protected by the Australian constitution. Same as everyone else.

your thinking of the American constitution ... not ours
Does it really? Can you refer me to the section?
It's implied. Upheld by the High Court. See Nationwide News Pty Ltd v Wills and subsequent cases.

This isn't Cuba. Just because you don't like the opinions expressed in the Courier Mail, doesn't mean the newspaper should be banned. Sorry Kevin Rudd.

Last edited:
It's implied. Upheld by the High Court. See Nationwide News Pty Ltd v Wills and subsequent cases.

This isn't Cuba.
In relation to political discourse, not a general freedom of speech. So your original comment was not correct.

This isn't Cuba. Just because you don't like the opinions expressed in the Courier Mail, doesn't mean the newspaper should be banned. Sorry Kevin Rudd.

show me where i ever said the Courier Mail should be banned

you can just piss off you Badel wanna be
Sounds like you found it.

Me too brother, 29 years for me.
Yeah, what one might call freedom of speech in this country has become seriously tricky. The short answer is saying what you think is small c constitutionally protected. Long answer requires defining the boundaries of "hate" and all kinds of other contrived nonsense that hardly anyone understands. Even the lawmakers. Look at the Folau case.

But in relation to wanting to crack down on journalists for speculative sports gossip, getting shit generally wrong about pretty much everything you know anything about, and having opinions that make you angry: that's the bread and butter of media. Your lawyer vs their lawyer, settled out of court, stop press here comes another one.

Last edited:
Mark Geyer joins in:

“If Kevvie Walters doesn’t have total autonomy in Brisbane like last year (Anthony) Seibold didn’t have it, then his tenure is doomed before it starts. That’s worrying. Corey Parker then returned serve on Fox later on at night and there’s the conundrum with the Broncos – they’ve got two old boys who can’t agree. You’ve got Gordie saying that and Corey Parker saying how is a race going to fix things?"

"I’ll tell you how it’ll fix it is, one thing in rugby league that never changes no matter how much we get and it’s the interaction with ex-players and the current players when they are struggling. Every club does it and you need your current players to realise how much blood, sweat and tears the old players shed for that jersey."

“On a social day it’s where it all comes out after a couple of beers and guess what? The young guys go back to training and say: how good was it having a beer with that bloke or hearing that story?”

“At the moment, as Gordie says, someone above Kevvie Walters not giving him free reign. You’d have to be stupid not to give him free reign at the Broncos – he won five comps for the blokes. I mean, come on. He’s trying to do everything he can to get something out of this team who need something in their life other than just a loss. They’re young and this is damning on them, every time they get a loss it is damning because they’re the biggest team in the state. They need help and they need help from outside sources like the old boys. I know they were scathing of Seibold last year, but when you’ve worn the jersey you’ve got the right to talk about your old club.”

McHunt

Like Parker said though, these "old boys" if they really wanted to help, could turn up on any given day to talk to the players, a cancelled race day isnt a problem unless you make a big fuss about it, which Gordie seems to be good at.
I stand by Gordie being pissed he didn't get an opportunity to weasel his way into the ears of our young players while on the piss.

So...race day is an unofficial event organised by the 'Old Boys'.
Club gets wind of it and tells Kevvie about it. The look isn't great. Kevvie tells the players that a sponsor event and recovery is more important than getting pissed and poached by the Titans Ambassader.
Kevvie tells players on Tuesday the event isn't going ahead.
Sunday Tallis, looking for click bait reveals that Kevvie has been told by the club the unofficial raceday can't go ahead.
Sunday night Parker, who recently was let go by the club and has every reason to speak his mind now he is not an employee backs the club and their stance.

...Even if Kevvie was told by the club to cancel the race day event, it was the right decision.

The questions I have, is why are the 'Old Boys' trying to organise something without the club's notice?
Why are they organising a race day the day after a game? It isn't 1992 anymore and recovery is part of every team's season schedule.
Why is this even a story? If Kevvie was told to can it by the club and he mentioned his discontent to his great mate Tallis, can he trust him anymore?

This is truly a circus and Tallis is the ringmaster.

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.