Kodi Nikorima Joins the Warriors

So is Milford the new whipping boy now that everyone's gotten off their chest their anger at Boyd and McCullough? Or because he got fitter you just can't use fat jokes anymore? You can't hate everyone at the club guys, or you may as well call yourself Eels supporters.

He was signed to the club and had not played a minute at the Broncos when Bennett arrived. Milford at 6 is completely on Bennett for better or worse.

This is from May 2014:
First Ben Barba took his full-back spot, now Josh Hoffman is facing a looming battle with Anthony Milford for Brisbane's five-eighth role.
Broncos co-captain Justin Hodges says Milford's decision to ignore Canberra's reported $1 million a season offer and commit to the Broncos from 2015 has ensured another tough selection call for coach Anthony Griffin.
Raiders five-eighth Milford can play full-back but the brilliant youngster will have the Broncos number six jersey in his sights after it emerged he will be mentored by Broncos great and ex-Test pivot Darren Lockyer upon his arrival.

Correct, he was signed and intended to play 6 from day 1

He was signed to the club and had not played a minute at the Broncos when Bennett arrived. Milford at 6 is completely on Bennett for better or worse.
Probably on every single one of his junior coaches until he played first grade with the Raiders too though

I always find it funny that people insist he play fullback on the back of about 15 games he played there for Canberra. A lot of the best stuff he did was either off the bench or playing in the halves.

Edit - I just went and watched a highlight clip and there was far more highlights with 1 on his back than I remembered.

Last edited:
I always find it funny that people insist he play fullback on the back of about 15 games he played there for Canberra. A lot of the best stuff he did was either off the bench or playing in the halves.

Edit - I just went and watched a highlight clip and there was far more highlights with 1 on his back than I remembered.
He started from the bench for the Raiders in 2013 for a number of games, then played 30+ games brilliantly at Fullback and finished the 2014 season as Five-Eight (due to injuries of the Raiders playmakers) for 4 or 5 games before moving to the Broncos.

He started from the bench for the Raiders in 2013 for a number of games, then played 30+ games brilliantly at Fullback and finished the 2014 season as Five-Eight (due to injuries of the Raiders playmakers) for 4 or 5 games before moving to the Broncos.

Yeah I remembered it differently but the majority of the highlights were definitely with him at 1.

Broncs got rid of the only spine member worth what he was being paid.

maybe ... but if we pair Milford, with someone that actually complements him rather than has the same strengths and weaknesses, then IMO Milford will start living up to his paycheck. although i don't see this happening until next year and we've given Niko's replacement some time to grow in the role

I think Dearden is that player, but it will be a longer term proposition, so we will need some patience (unfortunately, that is not a virtue most Broncos fans posses)

I actually think that Milf would have been better off going to the Storm last contract, Broncos seem to be killing careers at the moment, not where I ever thought this club would be.

Amazing what playing with the best player of all time who is basically the captain coach and playing hooker and half back at the same time will do. I guarantee Munster (unless he goes to the back) and Croft will look hopeless when he retires.

Last edited:
But he wasn't really the game controlling/managing half we need was he ?

For the record i am a Kodi fan and feel we could have used him as an impact player from the bench.

He didn't feel the same way though unfortunately.

The person controlling our spine is the dummy half.

Getting rid of Milford, Boyd, McCullough, Glenn and even Gillett would clear up some much needed space in our salary cap so that we can actually buy players who can back up their price tag with consistent high level performances.

and they are....??

The person controlling our spine is the dummy half.

and he's fucked.

which is why we're being reduced to, 4 x 1 man hit-up and then kick on the 5th......all game.

With the departure of Kahu, Nikorima and potentially Glenn, I think I can conclude that Seibs doesn’t want any Kiwis on the team! :rofl

So you think Milford is worth what he is getting as a five-eighth?

We are in this mess because he and some other under-performing players have occupied a large percentage of the salary cap but offer little reward. I'm not saying I would keep Nikorima at five-eighth long term, but just long enough to go into the market and buy someone worth spending on.

Getting rid of Milford, Boyd, McCullough, Glenn and even Gillett would clear up some much needed space in our salary cap so that we can actually buy players who can back up their price tag with consistent high level performances.
and they are....??

You never answered my question. Do you think Milford is worth what he is getting as a five-eighth?

You are delusional if you think the players I've named are the best in the competition in their respective positions. There are countless players that consistently perform better than them. Seems pointless to name them all, but here's a few:

Halves: Cooper Cronk, Luke Keary, Daly Cherry-Evans, Cody Walker, Adam Reynolds, Cameron Munster, Nathan Cleary, James Maloney, Chad Townsend

Fullbacks: James Tedesco, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Tom Trbojevic, Kalyn Ponga, Clint Gutherson, Matt Moylan, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Michael Gordon, Matthew Dufty

Hookers: Cameron Smith, Damien Cook, Josh Hodgson, Robbie Farah, Isaac Luke, Cameron McInnes, Apisai Koroisau, Jake Friend, Brandon Smith

Edge Backrowers: Sam Burgess, Boyd Cordner, Angus Chrichton, John Bateman, Tyson Frizell, Viliame Kikau, Elliott Whitehead, Felise Kaufusi, Briton Nikora

Last edited:
Do you seriously think we could buy these players, even if we had room in our cap? I just don't see it.

RE: Milford. He's worth whatever the market is prepared to pay.

FTR, I don't disagree with you in getting rid of "Boyd, McCullough, Glenn and even Gillett"

Milford is the one player we have, that we can rebuild this side around.

Do you seriously think we could buy these players, even if we had room in our cap? I just don't see it.

RE: Milford. He's worth whatever the market is prepared to pay.

FTR, I don't disagree with you in getting rid of "Boyd, McCullough, Glenn and even Gillett"

Milford is the one player we have, that we can rebuild this side around.

The topic wasn't about whether we can or cannot buy those players, it was demonstrating that we are paying our players elite level money and rewarding them with long term deal when they are very clearly average at best. By having them on such large coin, it doesn't allow us to compete with any of the other clubs when actual elite players become available on the market. There's no reason why we as a club cannot attract the best players in the game, but we have consistently failed to do that.

As for Milford, I don't think he is the player we can rebuild the side around. Not in the halves anyway. By the way, you still haven't answered my question. I'm asking if YOU think Milford is worth what he is getting paid, not what the market is prepared to pay. The constant dodging of the question makes me think you don't think he is worth it either.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Allo
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.