OFFICIAL Kurt Capewell signs with the Broncos from 2022

Interestingly enough, it was found that the Nazi soldiers cared more for their brothership and camaraderie than any of the Nazi propaganda that was circulating at the time.

Furthermore, wounded British soldiers would sneak out of the hospital with holes in them to go back to the trenches with their mates.

The German army would intentionally bring troops back from the front to induct new members into a troop so as to form a bond first before they would redeploy.

It's a very effective military tactic to make soldiers believe that they will be letting their mates down and functions far better than any nationalistic rhetoric.

It is a great point and I would much prefer to see it in sports than military application.
You know your history well.

while in Timor (when it was bad) and then Afghanistan, there was the overall objective and then missions within that objective, every single one was different it’s why I loved the job, we knew (obviously) who we were representing but what makes a real soldier a soldier is he doesn’t fight for his country but he fights for his mate beside him. he knows what he’s like, what he does under pressure. That’s how you win battles.

yes footy isn’t life and death but I’d like to see physically gifted bronco athletes show a bit of ticker for their mates, and I don’t mean throwing a tantrum at the ground after another try has been scored against them.

Is it a training thing? Leadership? Not enough, you’re only as strong as your weakest link? I can only speculate.

You know your history well.

while in Timor (when it was bad) and then Afghanistan, there was the overall objective and then missions within that objective, every single one was different it’s why I loved the job, we knew (obviously) who we were representing but what makes a real soldier a soldier is he doesn’t fight for his country but he fights for his mate beside him. he knows what he’s like, what he does under pressure. That’s how you win battles.

yes footy isn’t life and death but I’d like to see physically gifted bronco athletes show a bit of ticker for their mates, and I don’t mean throwing a tantrum at the ground after another try has been scored against them.

Is it a training thing? Leadership? Not enough, you’re only as strong as your weakest link? I can only speculate.
Nah, just enough to know I know nothing much about anything.

I personally think it's a psychological issue caused by a number of issues.
1. A loss of stability and an identifiable leader, in this case Bennett.
2. A false meritocracy/nepotitic installation wherein the leaders chosen weren't the true leaders (Boyd was nepotism, Glenn was just the longest there).
3. The leaders that were installed took offense to the guys who stood up to try to lead despite them (seeing that as an undermining of authority).
4. The NRL rule system being completely altered mid-season with a young, inexperienced squad with internal leadership issues and a noob coach. i.e., when the leaders needed to stand up and lead, they failed and the pavlovian response to the 6-again set in. IMO this was the biggest problem for the Broncos in 2020, they literally got slammed any time they actually showed spine and it crushed them.
5. When the chips were down the leaders started pointing fingers instead of just digging in. They espoused hollow cliches but didn't walk the talk.
6. The media had an absolute field day and it's almost impossible to escape the propaganda. If we go back to a wartime analogy, McCarthyism and "reds under the bed" in the USA and Australia was far more successful in turning countrymen against each other than any foreign propaganda during WW2.

Nah, just enough to know I know nothing much about anything.

I personally think it's a psychological issue caused by a number of issues.
1. A loss of stability and an identifiable leader, in this case Bennett.
2. A false meritocracy/nepotitic installation wherein the leaders chosen weren't the true leaders (Boyd was nepotism, Glenn was just the longest there).
3. The leaders that were installed took offense to the guys who stood up to try to lead despite them (seeing that as an undermining of authority).
4. The NRL rule system being completely altered mid-season with a young, inexperienced squad with internal leadership issues and a noob coach. i.e., when the leaders needed to stand up and lead, they failed and the pavlovian response to the 6-again set in. IMO this was the biggest problem for the Broncos in 2020, they literally got slammed any time they actually showed spine and it crushed them.
5. When the chips were down the leaders started pointing fingers instead of just digging in. They espoused hollow cliches but didn't walk the talk.
6. The media had an absolute field day and it's almost impossible to escape the propaganda. If we go back to a wartime analogy, McCarthyism and "reds under the bed" in the USA and Australia was far more successful in turning countrymen against each other than any foreign propaganda during WW2.
Proceeds to pull out “reds under the beds”… I think you know more about something, then about nothing. Lol

the rest I have nothing else to add, hammer meeting the head of a nail comes to mind.

the point about, everytime they showed some spine they got put back in their “place” by the officials. Does have a hint of agenda from the nrl higher ups for sure. I’m almost convinced of it.

it’s not war so it’s not “all is fair in love and war” you really can’t just fight your way out of an unfair situation. Unless you’re the 90’s broncos of course.

Proceeds to pull out “reds under the beds”… I think you know more about something, then about nothing. Lol

the rest I have nothing else to add, hammer meeting the head of a nail comes to mind.

the point about, everytime they showed some spine they got put back in their “place” by the officials. Does have a hint of agenda from the nrl higher ups for sure. I’m almost convinced of it.

it’s not war so it’s not “all is fair in love and war” you really can’t just fight your way out of an unfair situation. Unless you’re the 90’s broncos of course.
Ah, go on, we all know that stuff.

I honestly have convinced myself of the agenda. It's all too convenient timing regarding the new Brisbane team. That made me take a closer look at the trends in the sport, and while it's not too bad, the Sharks 2016 GF win/not over the cap stuff was also just too convenient. Then with all the Melbourne prominence and their ability to constantly bend the rules more than any other just fits so nicely into it all. It doesn't take much to shift momentum in the game, or to boost the confidence of a team so they play better.

In the end, it's just financially beneficial to the NRL in all cases and/or connections with politicians.

V'landys is just heavy handed in his approach, so it's less subtle.

I don't proclaim to have any sauce or inside Goss, other than the following. A, player who has had exposure to training and playing at two very successful clubs of recent years said the vibe at Broncos training wasn't great and it was very clique. They did not appear to be a team. Take from that what you will.
How do you not proclaim to have a source then say something only a source could tell you? Unless you are Richie Kennar?

How do you not proclaim to have a source then say something only a source could tell you? Unless you are Richie Kennar?
Did you miss the `other than the following'?

Nobody has benefited more from that Under 20's comp than Alex Glenn, when has he ever been a genuine matchwinner in the NRL?

He made a career out of being the leader of our Under 20's team that went on to do some great things in that comp, nobody can sit here and tell me he's ever single handedly either won us a match or come up with the big play that swung momentum in our favour which led to us winning. Even today as we are the worst team in the comp he is our captain and offers next to nothing except being a "leader".

Next season A. Reynolds will be the captain and if Alex Glenn wants a spot in the team he's going to have to produce something out there on the field with his actions, not behind the try line.

Nobody has benefited more from that Under 20's comp than Alex Glenn, when has he ever been a genuine matchwinner in the NRL?

He made a career out of being the leader of our Under 20's team that went on to do some great things in that comp, nobody can sit here and tell me he's ever single handedly either won us a match or come up with the big play that swung momentum in our favour which led to us winning. Even today as we are the worst team in the comp he is our captain and offers next to nothing except being a "leader".

Next season A. Reynolds will be the captain and if Alex Glenn wants a spot in the team he's going to have to produce something out there on the field with his actions, not behind the try line.
One set. ☝️

Capewell at 600k is fair enough, any less and it would be a steal.

He's not a Brenko Lee "origin star", he's a genuine origin star.

He's also a star at Penrith and before that he was a star at Cronulla. He's a great player who churns out good performances each and every week. He's not a Kikau, Fifita or a TPJ but he won't let you down and he can come up with the occasional big play. Not only the try he setup last year in Origin but also against Melbourne he came up with the try that won them the game when he beat 3 defenders in the last few minutes.

Dunno about genuine origin star....

I reckon currently....its more about the lack of other options than anything else.

not every player in your squad can be a superstar ...

not every player in your squad can be a genuine match winner ...

Glenn has never been paid like he was either of those things. unfortunately for him these rule changes haven't help him and his body is struggling to cope, even he is admitting that.

Put it this way. It's not our players' ceilings that are limiting us, it's their floors. While Capewell doesn't have the heights of a TPJ, his worst performances are worlds better.
Amazing post.

we’ve been putting value in how good players could be instead of how good they are on a regular basis for ages.

His clock seems pretty on time to me. Sorry to burst the bubble, but Badel is impressively reliable for a bloke who has to scrape together 5 or 6 stories a day on one club. You guys should give him more credit. It's bringing the collective judgement of this board into disrepute. Good thing you have me making it fair and balanced.
Sorry I just choked on my coffee…

Even @Huge wouldn’t defend that greasy little prick.

Active Now

• eggstar10
  • Manofoneway
  • Socnorb
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fitzy
  • Financeguy
  • Alec
  • Bongo
  • pennywisealfie
  • Aldo
  • Wolfie
  • Harry Sack
  • NSW stables
  • Jazza
  • Justwin
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.