NEWS Legends to Milford: No more excuses

Discussion in 'Brisbane Broncos Talk' started by Super Freak, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Cult3

Cult3 State of Origin Captain

Bingo. I find it so weird that our coach has literally said this and people still seem to think the momentum is slowed down because of McCullough. Getting rolled onto their backs every tackle means the defensive line can set and move forward as quickly as they want as soon as the ball clears the ruck. If they can stand or get to their front and play the ball quickly then McCullough can move the ball before the opposition has moved forward at all. This is one thing Thaiday never got enough credit for in his final years. Sometimes it's better to just hit the ground and get a quick play the ball.

2. I have heard that.

3. Agree with every aspect of this post. Well said.

pagey likes this.
    Just watched the souths game and the speed, spiral and trajectory of Cooks passes compared to Macca's efforts is a joy to watch. The ptb aside, the hands to ball and pass away of Cook's is another level up and that part Macca cannot seem to do. Isn't just how quick he is, it's how precise he is because his pass is generally laser like giving loads more time to others.

Mr Fourex, Aldo, teampjta and 5 others like this.
  4. winslow_wong

winslow_wong State of Origin Captain

bris
    It’s a combination of slow play the balls and slow service from Macca which makes our attack very.. slow.

teampjta, PNG Broncos fan88 and Alec like this.
  5. Alec

Alec International Rep

Yeah, this. And the thing is McCullough is capable of throwing good passes every now and then, which makes me wonder - is it fatigue that's affecting him or his obviously poor awareness skills? Maybe both.

6. That did not stop A. Reynolds destroying the Roosters last week. Enough of the excuses!

7. Very good at halting momentum though.
    Nothing pop gun kicks from dummy half that no one chases.
    Dummy half scoots that barely make 5 metres.
    Non existent support play from ad lib offloads.

8. Cult3

He gets tired after about 60 and his passes aren’t as good but it does not affect the team enough to constitute this much criticism. Isn’t this a Milford thread? About him having no excuses? Yet people are still finding excuses for him.

9. Alec

Alec International Rep

I wasn't really looking for an excuse for Milford, I just reply to posts I agree or disagree with. I pretty much always posted that I'm unhappy in the direction he's been heading in since early 2016.

10. “I hope Milford can find some more confidence out of that Storm game. Nikorima was the better of the two halves last week so I’d like to see Milford take control of the team and back himself.”

Agree 100% with this, Nikorima is not the problem in the spine at the moment form wise. Milf will come good, it's the 1 and 9 that the G.O.A.T should be pointing at.

mrslong likes this.
  11. Cult3

Yeah it was a broad statement regarding the same people saying the same things in every thread. In responding to them I’ve realised how boring this place is when you say the same thing over and over and hopefully they will soon

BroncsFan likes this.
  12. McHunt

McHunt NYC Player

Lockyer's signature move was a bullet pass or spiral kick direct to the winger. When was the last time you saw one of those from a Bronco?

LGH likes this.
  13. Sproj

Sproj

I completely agree and I think this is where some Macca defenders get confused. It would be nice if Macca could run quicker but that isn't really the speed we are worried about. Smith isn't the fastest out of dummy half but his passes are crisp and on the spot. Macca's passes are usually slow and high, wide or anything but handsome. If they are on song, they are generally too slow.

That said, one of the problems I have had with the Broncos attacking structure for a long time is that they look like they are all clueless from any set play. There is no depth at all and players look like they don't know where they should be standing or running and that comes down to the halves.

Milf and KNik should be telling not just the one guy they plan to use where to be but have three or four guys ready for any given play, depending on what opens up. Cronk is an expert at it, never stops talking to his runners. KNik isn't bad for the short pass option and is probably slightly better than Milf.

If Milf wants to become a legend, he needs to take the reins of this side and earn the million a year he is paid to do it. He started to look like he was getting there last year, give him a couple of weeks to get up to speed again this year, he'll get there.

PNG Broncos fan88 and Kimlo like this.
  14. mitch222

mitch222 State of Origin Rep

Milford brings this all on himself. He did say that he wanted to be the dominant half and they paid him handsomely to do just that. Kodi isn't the problem here, he is doing what he is instructed to do in the team and is doing it actually quite well. If the dominant playmaker was doing his job people would be singing praises from the roof. He isn't supposed to lead the team around prior to contrary belief that its the job of all halfbacks even when people forget that Lockyer did all this from 5/8. Its Milfords job to be the man on the field and he will live and die by the sword just like Thurston, DCE, Pearce, Morgan, Maloney, Johnson etc do.

15. Sproj

Sproj

I completely agree and I think this is where some Macca defenders get confused. It would be nice if Macca could run quicker but that isn't really the speed we are worried about. Smith isn't the fastest out of dummy half but his passes are crisp and on the spot. Macca's passes are usually slow and high, wide or anything but handsome. If they are on song, they are generally too slow.

That said, one of the problems I have had with the Broncos attacking structure for a long time is that they look like they are all clueless from any set play. There is no depth at all and players look like they don't know where they should be standing or running and that comes down to the halves.

Milf and KNik should be telling not just the one guy they plan to use where to be but have three or four guys ready for any given play, depending on what opens up. Cronk is an expert at it, never stops talking to his runners. KNik isn't bad for the short pass option and is probably slightly better than Milf.

If Milf wants to become a legend, he needs to take the reins of this side and earn the million a year he is paid to do it. He started to look like he was getting there last year, give him a couple of weeks to get up to speed again this year, he'll get there.

16. Viti

Viti QCup Player

I'm more talking about Macca's inability to engage the markers effectively rather than the speed of his service, I'm definitely not discounting our forwards lack of ability to find there elbows and knees though. To me, both these problems feed into each other and make it that much harder to come back from.

17. McHunt

McHunt NYC Player

All true, and every ball he passes, without fail, spins end over end. Like he doesn't give a ****. It's the most brain-dead style I've ever seen. No one else does it.

If you want to make it even more jarring, watch how Rugby Union backs pass the ball.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  18. broncsgoat

broncsgoat NRL Player

Milf wasn’t only the dominant half last year, he was the only one doing the job of both.

mrslong likes this.
  19. soup

soup State of Origin Rep

Tbh, I thought Locky’s signature move, in the later years at least, was a hospital ball to Thaiday.