Let the off season review begin

Realistically, I don't think we are a chance at a Grand Final appearance again until 2029. We put everything into last year and Cleary took it away, just we put everything into 2015 when Morgan & Thurston took it away.

Baker is an interesting one. clearly brought in to fill Palasia's spot (a player who people only seemed to have started to like after he left us). If you grade him on the generally accepted metric for a prop he wasn't as bad as people make out. I do realise he is unpopular, so we need to change the grading metric to suit the popular agenda 😉

FTR Baker's 2024 stats (before the final round match)
played 11 games for an average of 36 minutes per game
85 runs for 692m - that's an average of 7 runs for 63m per game - or an average of 8.14m per run.
229 tackles with 12 misses - or an average of 20 tackles and 1 miss per game.

given the generally accepted marking metric for a good prop performance is 10m per run. Baker's wasn't too bad. he is a fringe player after all.
I normally like your posts @Foordy…
This though, whilst in theory it sounds good, he just isn’t up to NRL standards. By that I mean not even fit to cut the oranges. At best an average park footy player. Definitely not QCup. All the intangibles make him unfit to clean the locker rooms after the games.

We may as well fold as a football team at this point. Only focused on making a profit and not winning football games. It’s a waste of our time and emotions. We’ve got family we should invest our time into.

Just to highlight this but he is not just the football department, ideally what we need is a football department GM to get the most out of that, but I'm unsure if that is part of the cap on playing staff.

DD definetly has done his job outside the playing part though.
Ikin says hi.
The guy Gordon described as "Kev's lapdog". Funnily enough he has changed the line of attack from Kev needs no help from anyone, to the players are disloyal.

We may as well fold as a football team at this point. Only focused on making a profit and not winning football games. It’s a waste of our time and emotions. We’ve got family we should invest our time into.

Genuinely think I'm done with the NRL after this season after 30-something years. I've always said that I don't support the NRL (due to NSW bias etc) and the bullshit 6-again etc has completely ruined it for me. When I can sit and watch any old game on the weekend and see blindingly incorrect calls, while not even being able to understand why the **** half of the 6-agains are called in tackles that look no different to others, and guys are getting sent off for high shots when the bloke's head is around their knees... This is not the game I grew up loving.

I have always said that despite not supporting the NRL as an organisation, I DO support the Broncos. But it's gotten to the point that I don't think I can do that anymore. The club's values - on display by the type of players they put money into, the type of players they let go and the type of football they play - no longer align with mine. The club no longer demands excellence and to be fair, hasn't for a long time. The club doesn't appear to care...so why should I? Footy is a tribal game, it taps into that deep-seated "us vs them" built into us all, but when I can no longer respect "us" as an organisation then why would I want to fight for "us"?

If that makes me "not a real fan" then you can stick my club apparel up your arse. The club bleeds mediocrity and shows zero signs of wanting to improve on that. They seem happy to rest on the success of 20 years ago because win or lose, the fans keep coming and the merch keeps selling and the business keeps ticking over regardless. There is no 'need' to strive for more and idk, same can probably be said for a few of the players too, they've 'made it' in the big league and are on a squillion dollars and there doesn't seem to be consequences for them if they phone it in. The club reeks from top to bottom and I can't stand it.

I'm bitterly disappointed about the year but again - as I've been saying all fucking year - nothing is changing, either on OR off the field. Storm went around and through our edges - again - same as Titans, same as Bulldogs, same as...a dozen other games this year.

I can't support an organisation that either couldn't be fucked, or doesn't know what to do. The club is as inept as the NRL IMO and that's where I think I will pull the pin. They're not even trying to give the fans something to hope for, so I'm not going to waste my energy anymore. I'll probably reneg and tune back in but I certainly won't be as invested as I have been my whole life.

Feels like a friend has slowly lost the plot over the course of the year and has now passed away.

EDIT - Forgot to add, unless the club rings in changes from top to bottom, Redcliffe will be the premier Brisbane club in, I predict, 5 or so years.

Based on Walters comments, there won't be any new recruits brought in for next year and there won't be anyone offloaded apart from the players not being offered new contracts and Kobe.

Based on Walters comments, there won't be any new recruits brought in for next year and there won't be anyone offloaded apart from the players not being offered new contracts and Kobe.

No money left I guess. ***** me how we're going to make up our Top 30. Atrocious.

No backup FB save for Cobbo, but then there's limited backs cover anyway. Still no second rowers. etc. Rinse and repeat.

If we've learnt anything from the last four years, it's that nothing that comes out of Kevvie's mouth has amounted to anything more than shit.

Genuinely think I'm done with the NRL after this season after 30-something years. I've always said that I don't support the NRL (due to NSW bias etc) and the bullshit 6-again etc has completely ruined it for me. When I can sit and watch any old game on the weekend and see blindingly incorrect calls, while not even being able to understand why the **** half of the 6-agains are called in tackles that look no different to others, and guys are getting sent off for high shots when the bloke's head is around their knees... This is not the game I grew up loving.

I have always said that despite not supporting the NRL as an organisation, I DO support the Broncos. But it's gotten to the point that I don't think I can do that anymore. The club's values - on display by the type of players they put money into, the type of players they let go and the type of football they play - no longer align with mine. The club no longer demands excellence and to be fair, hasn't for a long time. The club doesn't appear to care...so why should I? Footy is a tribal game, it taps into that deep-seated "us vs them" built into us all, but when I can no longer respect "us" as an organisation then why would I want to fight for "us"?

If that makes me "not a real fan" then you can stick my club apparel up your arse. The club bleeds mediocrity and shows zero signs of wanting to improve on that. They seem happy to rest on the success of 20 years ago because win or lose, the fans keep coming and the merch keeps selling and the business keeps ticking over regardless. There is no 'need' to strive for more and idk, same can probably be said for a few of the players too, they've 'made it' in the big league and are on a squillion dollars and there doesn't seem to be consequences for them if they phone it in. The club reeks from top to bottom and I can't stand it.

I'm bitterly disappointed about the year but again - as I've been saying all fucking year - nothing is changing, either on OR off the field. Storm went around and through our edges - again - same as Titans, same as Bulldogs, same as...a dozen other games this year.

I can't support an organisation that either couldn't be fucked, or doesn't know what to do. The club is as inept as the NRL IMO and that's where I think I will pull the pin. They're not even trying to give the fans something to hope for, so I'm not going to waste my energy anymore. I'll probably reneg and tune back in but I certainly won't be as invested as I have been my whole life.

Feels like a friend has slowly lost the plot over the course of the year and has now passed away.

EDIT - Forgot to add, unless the club rings in changes from top to bottom, Redcliffe will be the premier Brisbane club in, I predict, 5 or so years.
It is kind of a waste of a life supporting the Broncos, you make good points. Kind of like the women who can't let go of the husband who is abusing them. Stockholm syndrome I think it's called?

It is kind of a waste of a life supporting the Broncos, you make good points. Kind of like the women who can't let go of the husband who is abusing them. Stockholm syndrome I think it's called?

Who are you going to support when the Panthers start losing, mate? Or do you need to wait to see which is the best bandwagon to jump on? At least if it's us, you've got your old post history and your username already sorted.

Gah, you're such a bad troll, you made me give @Redfern_1980 a like.

This is not the game I grew up loving.

I have always said that despite not supporting the NRL as an organisation, I DO support the Broncos.
100%

I've been off the NRL a long time... only my love for the Broncos has kept me loyal.

And I've seen the fans turn away from the game. All my mates who grew up watching it, have turned away as they were not die-hard club supporters like us tragics. Most have converted to NBA/EPL. So sad that kids who grew up here end up turning to American sports cause our sport-administrations are so shit (but an argument for another day)

The club no longer demands excellence and to be fair, hasn't for a long time.

100%
So sad... for my generation of fans, I'm sure a little part of us died when Locky retired.

Not surprisingly ... we just haven't been the same since post-Locky... The 2012-2014 was the least memorable years as a fan... honestly can't recall any specific moments.

Then ofc 2015 happened. It was really hard to get over that for EVERYONE.
Big expectations in 2016 and then we lose to the cows in extra time AGAIN.
This sort of stuff never happened to the Bronx before... and then I really think it went downhill from here.

Obviously the WB drama, and then the Seibold Era...

2023 GF... honestly think if we had won that (which we should have)... it would have 'erased' so much pain for the club as a whole. But it was the way we lost it that I really think shattered the team. It shattered the fans. It was a terrible night for the Brisbane Broncos.

And here we are.

Bottom line:
We need to win a title and right the wrongs of the post Locky era.

Ikin says hi.
The guy Gordon described as "Kev's lapdog". Funnily enough he has changed the line of attack from Kev needs no help from anyone, to the players are disloyal.

What did Ikin actually do for us ... All our important signings were made before he got here

Maybe we pick up the Hunters as an affiliate....

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • leon.bott
  • Fitzy
  • mitch222
  • Waynesaurus
  • Fozz
  • broncos4life
  • TimWhatley
  • Pablo
  • Bucking Beads
  • FACTHUNT
  • kiwibronco
  • IceWorks
  • Broncosgirl
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.