State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Lockyer is now no longer allowed to play at Dairy Farmers. **** this shit

T

tkday

Banned User
Mar 10, 2010
If he indeed is too injured to play for the rest of the year (could very well happen) then that's it for us.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
If locky doesn't play again this year its time to LEAVE Hunt in the 6. We can win without Locky as long as Ivan makes the right choices in the halves.

L

langer77

QCup Player
Jul 19, 2010
Brisbane fear rib cartilage injury will keep Darren Lockyer out for season

By Steve Ricketts
August 16, 2010

With their season already teetering on the brink, the Brisbane Broncos may now have to play the last three rounds without inspirational skipper Darren Lockyer.

Lockyer has made little progress since his rib cartilage popped in a tackle by Cowboys lock Luke O'Donnell 10 days ago and it is unlikely the 33-year-old will train this week.

Coach Ivan Henjak confirmed Lockyer would not play against the Newcastle Knights on Friday night and it's looking increasingly likely he will only be used before the finals if the club is fighting to qualify.

Lockyer was guest speaker at a sponsors function before last Friday night's 30-14 loss to Parramatta and guests said he almost doubled over in pain when he turned to answer a question.

To add to concerns about Lockyer, centre Justin Hodges is also increasingly unlikely to play this year.

Hodges, who ruptured his Achilles in the pre-season, will not play against Newcastle or the Warriors, leaving the Raiders game in the final round as possibly his last chance. And then the Broncos have to weigh up the benefits of playing him when he will not be at his best.

Brisbane players and coaching staff breathed a sigh of relief when Melbourne beat South Sydney on Sunday, keeping the Broncos inside the top eight.

But former Test prop Steve Roach believes the Broncos' premiership hopes rest on Lockyer's return.

"They will be lucky to win a game without him," Roach said.

Former Test halfbacks Peter Sterling and Andrew Johns echoed those sentiments.

"They are a different team with Darren Lockyer," Sterling said.

"It's not necessarily what he does, but it's the influence he has by just being there."

Johns said Lockyer was like a puppeteer.

"It's the control he gives the team," he said.

not good news

T

tkday

Banned User
Mar 10, 2010
Thanks for the post, I think someone did post this or something similar the other day. I'm not sure if anyone fully believed he would be back after two weeks.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
I remember a prisoner tackled me side-on into a rib high wash basin years ago and caused the same injury Lockyer received. Aside from the staggering pain it caused at the time the discomfort levels are only explained to you when you've had the same injury. It was an enormous inconvenience and hurt every time you breathed in or out and everytime you moved. Sleep offered no respite and only alcohol and pain killers helped. it took months before I was able to function properly again. I thought at the time of Lockyers injury that we would struggle, just as locky would to get through the day

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Huge. said:
I remember a prisoner tackled me side-on into a rib high wash basin years ago and caused the same injury Lockyer received. Aside from the staggering pain it caused at the time the discomfort levels are only explained to you when you've had the same injury. It was an enormous inconvenience and hurt every time you breathed in or out and everytime you moved. Sleep offered no respite and only alcohol and pain killers helped. it took months before I was able to function properly again. I thought at the time of Lockyers injury that we would struggle, just as locky would to get through the day

Locky himself said he's had a similar injury twice before, and it was 3-4 weeks before he was able to play again.

It's no surprise to me that he may not be back before the finals (if we make it). But that should serve to rev the players up to lift their game. If they drop their heads and lose the next 3 games then we don't deserve to be in the top 8, with or without Locky.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Do you think we deserve to be in the finals as it stands?

The team had plenty of chances to fight for the finals, and they wasted the opportunities with stupid mistakes, stupid decisions and stupid selections for the fielded team.

Let Lockyer get over the injury properly. If that means missing the finals, then so be it.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Well if you think about it the warriors game is 3 weeks and Canberra game will make it 4 weeks.
Injured in Cowboys game, 1 week till Parra, another will till Knights, another week till the Warriors game and one more week after that for the Canberra game which in total is 4 weeks from the day he was injured, so it's a possibility he could return for either the Warriors or Canberra game. IMO if we win against the Knights he might not play but if we lose I reckon he will risk it and play against the Warriors.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
Locky needs to just rest up and wait for the finals.

Wallace needs to man up, brave move but make Wallace Captain put the world on his shoulders and make sure he knows its now or never. Alfie needs to get in his ear and explain what that #7 means to Brisbane and how for years it was the jumper everyone looked to for help.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
draggx said:

Wallace needs to man up, brave move but make Wallace Captain put the world on his shoulders and make sure he knows its now or never. Alfie needs to get in his ear and explain what that #7 means to Brisbane and how for years it was the jumper everyone looked to for help.
I agree with your post except the captain part. Captain Wallace does have a nice ring to it though. Captain Wallace, he's the hero, gonna bring pollution down to zero....

Yeah Wallace needs to step up in lockys absence and prove his doubters he can control a team without the great man.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Nashy said:

The team had plenty of chances to fight for the finals, and they wasted the opportunities with stupid mistakes, stupid decisions and stupid selections for the fielded team.

Let Lockyer get over the injury properly. If that means missing the finals, then so be it.

In a year where there were a lot of teams playing consistent, top quality football week in week out I would say no.

In a year like this where just about every team has been cod ordinary, I'd say we're no less deserving of a finals spot than any of the other nuffies in the top 10 (bar Dragons).

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
broncospwn said:
draggx said:

I agree with your post except the captain part. Captain Wallace does have a nice ring to it though. Captain Wallace, he's the hero, gonna bring pollution down to zero....

Yeah Wallace needs to step up in lockys absence and prove his doubters he can control a team without the great man.

The Captain thing is a huge gamble no doubt, but some players thrive when given the (C).

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Wallace is in no way deserving to be a Broncos captain.

I don't agree with Parker having it, we need someone who is willing to talk to the players on the field, fire them up, and tell them to pull their heads out when they are giving up.

Sammy for mine.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Coxy said:
Nashy said:

In a year where there were a lot of teams playing consistent, top quality football week in week out I would say no.

In a year like this where just about every team has been cod ordinary, I'd say we're no less deserving of a finals spot than any of the other nuffies in the top 10 (bar Dragons).
Agree with you, even more so when we look at the youth of our roster!

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
Nashy said:

I don't know if the Broncos have had "plenty of chances to fight for the finals" ... Cast your mind back three months ago when the team was 2-6 and appeared to be going absolutely nowhere near the finals ... Its been an excellent fight back from this group ... They've gone 9-4 through the tough middle period of the season .. A lot of Broncos teams before this one didn't get even close to matching that ..

Personally I've enjoyed this season as a Broncos supporter far more than a lot of previous seasons where the club was a lot higher up the standings at this point of competition but was playing way below its potential with a better playing list than this year's.

This young Broncos group has really restored that Broncos culture - where the gap between a great performance and an ordinary performance isn't all that big, and even in defeat the opposition is made to work extra hard for it. IMO, you couldn't really get too down if the Broncos ran out of steam and struggled from here on because there are a lot of young bodies and young heads in this group that may be starting to fatigue after such a huge effort to drag the club back from a bad start to the season.

But everything that's happened to this point of the season and everything that happens from this point forward will stand these guys in stead for next season and beyond.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • BroncosAlways
  • Old Mate
  • Lurker
  • Justwin
  • Sproj
  • Fatboy
  • Xzei
  • Aldo
  • Porthoz
  • mystico
  • leon.bott
  • Galah
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.