Lockyer still guiding the Broncos.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
BRONCOS fans can rest easy about the club’s future.

Since late last year, Darren Lockyer (pictured) — mostly behind the scenes — has had a strategic role in recruiting and retention for the Broncos.

The former captain’s part in keeping a nervous Anthony Milford within the tent to honour a contract to join Brisbane in 2015, as detailed in The Sunday Mail, is just the most high-profile example.

He is in regular contact with new recruiting chief Peter Nolan and coach Anthony Griffin over planning for the club’s list, and is involved with formal meetings with them.

As a former Test skipper who often watches two games a weekend live as a TV commentator, Lockyer is well placed with his strong knowledge of the player market current

Lockyer accepted a place on the Broncos board of directors in October and said he hoped it was one way he could “help the club towards success’’.

He was influential last year in the club identifying a need to improve the conditioning of the players.

Lockyer’s regular involvement in having a say about recruiting targets predates the hiring of Nolan, and the departure of former operations chief Andrew Gee.

The name of Lockyer, who also remains in a position as a club ambassador, carries weight inside and outside the club.
For three years he has been a sounding board to several players, with the knowledge of Griffin.
Lockyer also brings a similar attention to detail in his business activities that he insisted on as a footballer.

Error Page

Great news... Locky knows what this club needs... And he knows how to deliver.

Last edited:
Can we just make him coach, recruitment manager and CEO and be done with it?

I just hope he hasn't had a say in the team list

Last edited:
I just hope he hasn't had a say in the team list

I don't think our team list is overly bad ... although we are weak in some areas, namely:

1. No genuine 5/8, we have a winger playing there

2. we could use another big prop, i thought Kennedy could fill that role, but he hasn't lived up to expectation

I wonder if he had anything to do with the push to get rid of Wallace & give Hunt a starting spot?

Suddenly I feel a little better.

The thing with Lockyer too, is shit will just start to happen and fall into place and you won't really notice it. He'll just get it done with no fuss.

Thats always been the best thing about lockyer imo. he doesnt go chasing the limelight. he doesnt make sure everyone knows how great he was or how many great things hes doin for a club. e.g. The wanker thats now an immortal :tape:. his humbleness was always one of his best traitss

he must be on of the only high profile players to ever play the game were not even one single player ever had a bad thing to say about him.

Thats always been the best thing about lockyer imo. he doesnt go chasing the limelight. he doesnt make sure everyone knows how great he was or how many great things hes doin for a club. e.g. The wanker thats now an immortal :tape:. his humbleness was always one of his best traitss

he must be on of the only high profile players to ever play the game were not even one single player ever had a bad thing to say about him.

Fox Sports posted something about Bob Fulton thinking Gallen is a future immortal and someone said something about Lockyer being overrated. I laughed.

Fox Sports posted something about Bob Fulton thinking Gallen is a future immortal and someone said something about Lockyer being overrated. I laughed.

well we all know any one outside of qld think lockyer only was made to look good by the platers around him. gauranteed if he was from nsw so many would be singning a differant tune.

im not saying hes was definitely better then andrew johns i think they both have there pros and cons and to me id lean more toward lockyer being better but. any one who supports a nsw club thinks lockyer doesnt even come close to some of the best in the game. esp johns

Damn, that's hardcore.

Two games a weekend LIVE, was the rest of that quote.

Lockyer made players around him look good, always. Peter Wallace, Denan Kemp, Brett Seymour... etc etc. Joey was much the same. Both great players.

locky is god. hodges must miss running off him

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • Allo
  • ozzball
  • Harry Sack
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • FACTHUNT
  • Bucking Beads
  • Shane Tronc
  • Browny
  • Swordfish
  • Financeguy
  • Old Mate
  • GCBRONCO
  • lynx000
  • Midean
  • Fatboy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jazza
... and 25 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.