NEWS Lockyer the man to solve Bennett, Broncos standoff

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Darren lockyer and wayne bennett m0kgbjnbqv5f1lm3i5m45v46g

Maranta: Darren Lockyer is the Brisbane board member who can defuse Bennett time bomb

July 29, 2018

Source: Courier Mail

Last edited by a moderator:
I know Benny would not want to sing about it, but did he not just clock up his 500th win when we beat the Snarks? Another massive milestone that will go a long way before it is matched or surpassed and would otherwise be screamed from the rooftops if he just happened to be a NSW coach. Not a single word uttered by the Ch 9 commentators, or indeed the press who love to bag him. Take a bow Benny and well done Broncos too.

Buzz on Controversy Corner last night claimed that the main issue the board have with Bennett is his 'affair' and marriage breakdown. Now I know this is Rothfield so could well be bullshit, but.

If this is something that Rothfield has just made up, what a fucking disgrace this guy is bringing someone's personal relationships into this.

If there is any truth to this then the board needs to go. We are a footy club and he is one of if not the best coach in the game. I don't give a shit if he fucked half of Brisbane as long as it was consensual and neither should anyone else. Bennett is our best chance at a premiership and if that is blown because Morris wants to take some moral fucking high ground then he needs to stand down along with Paul White.

Buzz on Controversy Corner last night claimed that the main issue the board have with Bennett is his 'affair' and marriage breakdown. Now I know this is Rothfield so could well be bullshit, but.

If this is something that Rothfield has just made up, what a fucking disgrace this guy is bringing someone's personal relationships into this.

If there is any truth to this then the board needs to go. We are a footy club and he is one of if not the best coach in the game. I don't give a shit if he fucked half of Brisbane as long as it was consensual and neither should anyone else. Bennett is our best chance at a premiership and if that is blown because Morris wants to take some moral fucking high ground then he needs to stand down along with Paul White.

We just beat the sharks, so I wouldn't be reading too much into a Rothfield meltdown.

[HASHTAG]#DoItForWayne[/HASHTAG].

This could be the thing that galvanizes the team to do something special this year. Wayne really does deserve better than this, but I don't expect anything to change. This is the usual media attempt to **** with the Broncos, and Wayne personally.

[HASHTAG]#DoItForWayne[/HASHTAG].

This could be the thing that galvanizes the team to do something special this year. Wayne really does deserve better than this, but I don't expect anything to change. This is the usual media attempt to **** with the Broncos, and Wayne personally.

I agree, I just wish our own club wouldn't make it so easy for them.

I agree, I just wish our own club wouldn't make it so easy for them.

There might be more going on than we know or are being told, but a public show of support for their coach wouldn't go astray.

There might be more going on than we know or are being told, but a public show of support for their coach wouldn't go astray.

TBF, every time White has spoken to the media, he has supported Bennett and said that he'd be coaching until the end of next year. Do we want him coming out and saying exactly the same thing every time a journo wants to start shit?

Whatever the purposes of waiting until the end of this year to review it serves, none of us know, but there are a lot of potential reasons that don't include the board losing faith in Wayne. Even knocking back Wayne's most recent plan (assuming the plan exists and it was even knocked back in a formal way, we've only heard that through the media) doesn't mean that they're rejecting Wayne doing anything beyond next year. It just literally means they'll decide on that option and all other options at the end of the season, when Wayne can be better judged according to the real world results.

Last edited:
Wayne retiring at another club is just wrong. Way I see it is he has just about assembled 1 of the best teams in the comp with a great mixture of world class players and up and coming stars and and as well as this has the team playing well and looking at a finals berth. He hasn't lost it.
Why not leave him there until Bellamy's latest contract is up? It was only 2 years wasn't it? Or maybe another 2 years as assistant JD will be ready. Forcing Wayne into retirement before he is ready and before we have a suitable replacement is going to end badly.

I remember reading something along those lines when the Bellamy situation blew up.

Between that and the Matt Lodge situation apparently it was making the club and sponsors look bad.

So the board thinks that replacing the guy who has coached the side to all of its premierships and is probably the best coach in Rugby League history is meant to improve the Broncos image?

Don't you love the logic of modern management.

As far as I am concerned Wayne should have the keys to the castle as long as he wants

All I want is a well thought out succession plan to be enacted whenever Wayne decided the time is right

TBF, every time White has spoken to the media, he has supported Bennett and said that he'd be coaching until the end of next year. Do we want him coming out and saying exactly the same thing every time a journo wants to start shit?

Whatever the purposes of waiting until the end of this year to review it serves, none of us know, but there are a lot of potential reasons that don't include the board losing faith in Wayne. Even knocking back Wayne's most recent plan (assuming the plan exists and it was even knocked back in a formal way, we've only heard that through the media) doesn't mean that they're rejecting Wayne doing anything beyond next year. It just literally means they'll decide on that option and all other options at the end of the season, when Wayne can be better judged according to the real world results.

All good points. The vibes about this situation aren't good though. Why can't they just come out and say why they don't want Wayne beyond next year? The way the whole Bellamy situation played out just left a bad taste in the mouth.

Absolute load of shit. Rothfield is a gutter rat.

It could be that the 'affair' and breakdown of his marriage is having an impact on his ability to do the job and that's why the board wants him to go.

Let's face it, Bennett just isn't the coach he used to be. Perhaps his personal life is getting in the way.

All good points. The vibes about this situation aren't good though. Why can't they just come out and say why they don't want Wayne beyond next year? The way the whole Bellamy situation played out just left a bad taste in the mouth.

Maybe they don't come out and say that because they genuinely haven't decided on keeping Wayne on or not.

TBF the gutter rat alluded to it at best and didn't want to say anything further. It was Hughs who came out and said it was his marriage breakdown etc etc.

Harrigan also said he preferred not to comment on private stuff.

It could be that the 'affair' and breakdown of his marriage is having an impact on his ability to do the job and that's why the board wants him to go.

Let's face it, Bennett just isn't the coach he used to be. Perhaps his personal life is getting in the way.
Sarcasm?

Active Now

• Mr Fourex
  • Broncosarethebest
  • LGH
  • peter09
  • Aldo
  • Johnny92
  • Foordy
  • Manofoneway
  • Skathen
  • broncos4life
  • GCBRONCO
  • Alec
  • ivanhungryjak
  • KateBroncos1812
  • heartly87
  • leon.bott
  • Manifesto
  • FACTHUNT
  • Financeguy
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.