OFFICIAL LOL. We have a new recruit, and you'll never guess who it is

Ben Ikin:

“Billy won’t be coming here this year but he will definitely be at the Broncos in 2022. It will be a one-year deal. Where he plays is to be determined by the coach, but Billy has great utility value so I’d say that’s where he will start. Depending on how Billy plays and how the team performs and how we go with injuries, things could evolve across the season.”

Billy walters

Surprise!

Madge:

“Billy won’t be here next year. He has fitted in really well, he is a real professional and a great young guy. I wish him well.”

Scott Sattler:

“Billy might get some flak, but it comes with having a famous footballing surname when you are the son of a legend. Kevvie might get some criticism for signing his son, but the only way to answer it is for Billy to play good football. If he plays well for the Broncos, it won’t matter if his dad is the coach. It’s a good signing. The utility role is crucial in today’s game and Billy will fit into the Broncos well, he’s a handy player with an infectious personality.”

McHunt

Surely in the case of this signing there is one particular extenuating circumstance? Surely?

nope ...

if you're going to give credit to someone for signings you like they also get the blame for signings you don't ... you can't pick and choose where the credit/blame goes.

besides Ikin/DD would still need to agree to this signing, otherwise it wouldn't be able to go ahead

Why take him off my list? because it doesnt suit your argument? He played enough hooker to be an option and if we need him there we would use him. I dont think Croft will go anywhere tbh, he's on too good a contract here and he probably hasnt done enough for anyone else to want him. We are negotiating with Kelly by all accounts, Gamble has just signed a contract so like i said, we have 5 players already here that can offer what Billy does. Even if we lose Croft, we are still well stocked. I doubt we are losing 3 out of the 5 players i mentioned to warrant signing him, and its hardly like he is a Cody Walker player who dominated in ISC.
Because he's a option the way Glenn has been an option, so does it suit your argument better?
You don't know what the plan is your just guessing like most, who's to say Hetherington and Gamble won't be used as locks instead of hooker/half . He isn't going to be our starting 6 so I really don't have an issue.

That's my boy ...
And my brother sits with me on the sideline ...
There's so much more to be said ... but it's just sad, really. What a farce.
Another wasted year of amateursville instead of running the club properly.

That's my boy ...
And my brother sits with me on the sideline ...
There's so much more to be said ... but it's just sad, really. What a farce.
Another wasted year of amateursville instead of running the club properly.

that's not a nice thing to say about DD ... who should we have running the club then instead?

nope ...

if you're going to give credit to someone for signings you like they also get the blame for signings you don't ... you can't pick and choose where the credit/blame goes.

besides Ikin/DD would still need to agree to this signing, otherwise it wouldn't be able to go ahead
1193259A 857B 4554 A823 27015AF523CC

Isn't Kev out of the RnR program? Ikin must of have done the work and DD rubber stamped it. I don't like this for one reason, it can be a point of discontent if players start feeling like nepotism is taking place. The kid can fit a few positions at a pinch so comparing him to elite spine players is a bit harsh. Having a few all rounders is a good thing in a team and the kid could be useful, hopefully Kev can keep it honest.

Because he's a option the way Glenn has been an option, so does it suit your argument better?
You don't know what the plan is your just guessing like most, who's to say Hetherington and Gamble won't be used as locks instead of hooker/half . He isn't going to be our starting 6 so I really don't have an issue.

Well it doesnt suit any argument to compare him to Glenn. Kobe has played a lot more hooker than Glenn ever did and is far more natural than Glenn as a hooker so its not really similar. Kobe was the QLD hooker in the U'20s for example. I like Kobe as 13 and i'd play him there next year, but its not accurate to compare him as a hooker to Glenn. Glenn at Hooker is more like Mcguire.

Kevvie and Staggs have both said he is playing 6, and i doubt Gamble is playing 7 in front of Reynolds and considering Gamble has never even played lock why would he play there now? He's a 6. Gamble and Kelly are more likely to play in the halves than Billy as well. Billy is probably 5 choice half at best, probably tied with Croft and Paix.

We are basically duplicating Paix role with Walters who has less NRL behind him than Paix. I dont mind Billy as a player, i just think we are stocked enough with players of his type.

Meh, I don't really care.

Some signings are always going to be made just to fill numbers. This is one of them. Maybe he might force a bit of competition for that utility spot.

nope ...

lol. To play @soup's card - That's how it is on paper.

It’s a shit signing no matter which way you flip it. If Kev wanted him at the club that bad have him play for a feeder and bring him in after round 11 like he did Hunt. In a squad with Paix, Gamble, and Croft, why do we need Walters?

100% wouldn’t sign if he wasn’t Kev’s kid. Pure nepotism.

It’s a shit signing no matter which way you flip it. If Kev wanted him at the club that bad have him play for a feeder and bring him in after round 11 like he did Hunt. In a squad with Paix, Gamble, and Croft, why do we need Walters?

looks like the media were wrong on this one ... Ikin's not perfect after all

I have to agree with this sentiment. It really isn't a good look and any traditional tender process would typically rule him out. i.e., there has to be comparable products on the market, and if there is some special function that he is serving in relation to Walters (e.g., translator or quasi-spy), then this reflects on the coach and his abilities.

It's not a good look, but the NRL is pretty well known for being one big boy's club, with a back scratch mentality.

If this signing bothers you that much, then you probably have some common personality traits with the Grinch.

This is a better signing than Boyd, Lodge, Milford or Bird. Minimum wage depth signing that is NRL capable. Probably won't make the 17 but at least will keep an air of family around the club, which is good.

Broncos Legends are allowed some nepotism if it doesn't REALLY hurt us at the end of the day. He's also better than what people make out.

If this signing bothers you that much, then you probably have some common personality traits with the Grinch.

This is a better signing than Boyd, Lodge, Milford or Bird. Minimum wage depth signing that is NRL capable. Probably won't make the 17 but at least will keep an air of family around the club, which is good.

Broncos Legends are allowed some nepotism if it doesn't REALLY hurt us at the end of the day. He's also better than what people make out.
You're right, a little bit of nepotism here and there hasn't ever caused problems anywhere in the world. I believe it was Plato who, sick of all Socrates' shit said "**** that Aristotle kid, where's junior?". This would then lead Marcus Aurelius to name Commodus as Emperor and leave Maximus Decimus Meridius an outlaw to Rome.

You're right, a little bit of nepotism here and there hasn't ever caused problems anywhere in the world. I believe it was Plato who, sick of all Socrates' shit said "**** that Aristotle kid, where's junior?". This would then lead Marcus Aurelius to name Commodus as Emperor and leave Maximus Decimus Meridius an outlaw to Rome.
But Marcus knew Commodus was a better hooker than Maximus.

Active Now

• Gray
  • Maroon4life
  • Santa
  • thenry
  • LittleDavey
  • Robboi_321
  • Big Del
  • Midean
  • theshed
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • broncsgoat
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Strop
  • Kev_Guz
  • Sproj
  • bb_gun
  • Broncosgirl
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Brocko
... and 46 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.