OFFICIAL LOL. We have a new recruit, and you'll never guess who it is

Ben Ikin:

“Billy won’t be coming here this year but he will definitely be at the Broncos in 2022. It will be a one-year deal. Where he plays is to be determined by the coach, but Billy has great utility value so I’d say that’s where he will start. Depending on how Billy plays and how the team performs and how we go with injuries, things could evolve across the season.”

Billy walters

Surprise!

Madge:

“Billy won’t be here next year. He has fitted in really well, he is a real professional and a great young guy. I wish him well.”

Scott Sattler:

“Billy might get some flak, but it comes with having a famous footballing surname when you are the son of a legend. Kevvie might get some criticism for signing his son, but the only way to answer it is for Billy to play good football. If he plays well for the Broncos, it won’t matter if his dad is the coach. It’s a good signing. The utility role is crucial in today’s game and Billy will fit into the Broncos well, he’s a handy player with an infectious personality.”

McHunt

They can’t all be superstars yes, but they can’t all be mediocre cheap fillers either - which is what they all seem to be apart from Reynolds and Capewell 🤢
Only depth signing we've made. I know brenko isn't a superstar either but if a single bloke complains about having him on what you'd have to think is **** all money, you've got rocks in your heads. Plus we can't sign anymore 'superstars' until we have tpj off our books. You can't go over the cap by promising that you will get rid of tpj.

I just think its worth noting that before tearing his ACL he was the utility and in front of players like Liddle and Simpkin for hooker and at times even getting ahead of Benji. Additionally he was playing way better than Luke Brooks who seems immune to being dropped and he was also playing in the halves before the likes of Doueih and Mbye. Not bad for a "5th string, shit depth player"

It was only last year, they had Harry Grant, we had Seibold as our coach!

I keep saying it, in isolation, its not a terrible signing, but with the players already on our books, it seems a waste.
I know you keep saying that but is it really that true? I mean we have Croft who is a half and not a very good one. Paix and Gamble are the only real utilities and is Paix even first grade standard? I don’t watch much q cup but I have yet to see anything that would suggest he is good enough to be cover.

I honestly wonder if you would have the same thoughts about our apparent stacked depth if his name wasn’t Billy Walters or we were coached by someone else.

Honestly you just have to laugh sometimes. A couple of seasons ago when Walters carved us up when we played the Tigers the general sentiment was “why isn’t he playing for us, son of a club legend and good player? Our recruitment sucks”. Now that that club legend is the coach it is a terrible signing and a our recruitment sucks…
Did that actually happen?

Exactly @Organix. Put it in Geordie Shore cast members names or get out!
I honestly don't know any other than Garry and Charlotte, and I don't think they're hiring their own kids yet. I guess I'll have to get out.

I’m not sure how this gets missed by those of you missing the point @Wolfie is making, it is pretty clear whether you agree with it or not.

He is not complaining about Walters being a decent player, he is saying we already have several similar players already at the club in the same positions.

Yes we need ready made depth but we have ready made depth in all the positions Bully Jr can cover, that can’t really be argued.

We need ready made depth in the forwards and backs as well.

If we didn’t already have Gamble, Turpin, Paix, likely Kelly and Croft already at the club, Walters would be a good signing. The reality is we do have all these guys at the club.

Whether you agree with it or not, it is a totally valid argument with a lot more merit than ‘you just don’t like him cos he’s the coach’s son.’

I personally don’t mind the signing but I couldn’t care less if we got him or not but I will be ticked off it resulted in losing Paix who has started to look better and better and I am hoping leapfrogs Turpin. This part is all hypothetical though.

I know you keep saying that but is it really that true? I mean we have Croft who is a half and not a very good one. Paix and Gamble are the only real utilities and is Paix even first grade standard? I don’t watch much q cup but I have yet to see anything that would suggest he is good enough to be cover.

I honestly wonder if you would have the same thoughts about our apparent stacked depth if his name wasn’t Billy Walters or we were coached by someone else.

In my opinion, Billy is on a par with Paix with Paix having more devlopment in him ( he's improved a fair bit this year in ISC ) and Paix has a bit more NRL experience. Hes going to be behind Staggs, Reynolds, Kelly and Gamble ( dont see gamble as a utility player tbh ) for a halves spot and i dont see him any better, if at all than Croft. Turpin, for good or bad plays 80 and we havent really made good use of a bench utility. Kobe can easily cover the hooker position as he has played plenty there in the past. Even on minimum wage, i dont see him as being that useful too us unless Kelly isnt signing and we are moving on Paix and Croft. I guess we will find out at the end of the year if thats the case.

I'd have exactly the same opinion if it was Billy ( who i do like ) or anyone else coming in and offering what he does. He just isnt an upgrade over whats here as far as i'm concerned. If he gets a chance he will do ok because he isnt a poor player, i really just dont see where he fits as things stand.

In my opinion, Billy is on a par with Paix with Paix having more devlopment in him ( he's improved a fair bit this year in ISC ) and Paix has a bit more NRL experience. Hes going to be behind Staggs, Reynolds, Kelly and Gamble ( dont see gamble as a utility player tbh ) for a halves spot and i dont see him any better, if at all than Croft. Turpin, for good or bad plays 80 and we havent really made good use of a bench utility. Kobe can easily cover the hooker position as he has played plenty there in the past. Even on minimum wage, i dont see him as being that useful too us unless Kelly isnt signing and we are moving on Paix and Croft. I guess we will find out at the end of the year if thats the case.

I'd have exactly the same opinion if it was Billy ( who i do like ) or anyone else coming in and offering what he does. He just isnt an upgrade over whats here as far as i'm concerned. If he gets a chance he will do ok because he isnt a poor player, i really just dont see where he fits as things stand.
The tigers would be smart to grab Croft on a subsidised contract next year tbh. He’d offer them something.

If anyone wants to torture themselves and see if Billy did carve us up, here's the replay of that 48-0 hammering ☹️

From memory he had a good moment or 2 but in a 48-0 hiding that is probably the darkest day in the team’s history, I wouldn’t read too much into it.

I’m not sure how this gets missed by those of you missing the point @Wolfie is making, it is pretty clear whether you agree with it or not.

He is not complaining about Walters being a decent player, he is saying we already have several similar players already at the club in the same positions.

Yes we need ready made depth but we have ready made depth in all the positions Bully Jr can cover, that can’t really be argued.

We need ready made depth in the forwards and backs as well.

If we didn’t already have Gamble, Turpin, Paix, likely Kelly and Croft already at the club, Walters would be a good signing. The reality is we do have all these guys at the club.

Whether you agree with it or not, it is a totally valid argument with a lot more merit than ‘you just don’t like him cos he’s the coach’s son.’

I personally don’t mind the signing but I couldn’t care less if we got him or not but I will be ticked off it resulted in losing Paix who has started to look better and better and I am hoping leapfrogs Turpin. This part is all hypothetical though.
You don't miss his point but you miss the point that nobody on this forum knows what the plan is.
Paix has looked better in cup but still hasn't done shit in the NRL squad, just because you think he's good dosen't mean he is .

Levi and KHunt out - Walters in. Not the worst idea I don't think.

6. Staggs / Gamble / Kelly
7. Reynolds

9. Turpin

14. Paix / Walters

And then we have Croft as depth along with whoever misses out on the 6 and 14 jumpers.

This years halves/hookers (8):
Milford
Croft
Kelly
Gamble
Khunt
Turpin
Paix
Levi

Next year (8)
OUT: Milford, KHunt, Levi
IN: Reynolds, Staggs, Walters
- same number of players covering those positions unless I'm forgetting somebody and definitely seems stronger.
Reynolds
Staggs
Croft
Kelly
Gamble
Walters
Turpin
Paix

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • bert_lifts
  • Battler
  • lynx000
  • Astro
  • BroncosAlways
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Mick_Hancock
  • broncos4life
  • Robboi_321
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.