OFFICIAL LOL. We have a new recruit, and you'll never guess who it is

Ben Ikin:

“Billy won’t be coming here this year but he will definitely be at the Broncos in 2022. It will be a one-year deal. Where he plays is to be determined by the coach, but Billy has great utility value so I’d say that’s where he will start. Depending on how Billy plays and how the team performs and how we go with injuries, things could evolve across the season.”

Billy walters

Surprise!

Madge:

“Billy won’t be here next year. He has fitted in really well, he is a real professional and a great young guy. I wish him well.”

Scott Sattler:

“Billy might get some flak, but it comes with having a famous footballing surname when you are the son of a legend. Kevvie might get some criticism for signing his son, but the only way to answer it is for Billy to play good football. If he plays well for the Broncos, it won’t matter if his dad is the coach. It’s a good signing. The utility role is crucial in today’s game and Billy will fit into the Broncos well, he’s a handy player with an infectious personality.”

McHunt

First time he threw a pass from dummy half and a forward got killed; you’d change your mind.

Not at all. I think you arent reading what i'm getting at tbh. Like @Sproj just said, if Turpin goes down in the 20th minute tomorrow, he's the logical choice to slot in at hooker because he's actually got a good background playing there coming through. I cant think of anyone else who i would drop in there. If we had a Paix, Walters or Levi on the bench, obviously its one of those. I really cant see how you think we would have had a better option than Kobe if that happens against the Tigers tomorrow for example. Its horses for courses really. You play the best fit with what you have at the time.

Like I said in my earlier post no one knows what their plan is , so it's all speculation. The problem i have is with people bagging the signing when they're clueless to the situation.
As for your agenda it's always Kevvie's fault or his wrong doing, you've got the pitch fork out ready to use .
Kev has been openly talking about signing Billy since the moment he arrived. Not sure who else’s “fault” it would be.

Are you saying in the event of an injury you would prefer Glenn or someone else in the 17 (assuming Paix isn't playing) at hooker than Hetherington? I think that is what Wolfie is getting at.
But it goes against his point about not needing Walters due to Kobe being a utility. It’s one thing to say Kobe is a lock and if Turpin went down in a game you would put Kobe in there to finish the game, that doesn’t mean depth is covered because you have a bloke that at a pinch would be the best option to finish a game if Turpin goes down.

But it goes against his point about not needing Walters due to Kobe being a utility. It’s one thing to say Kobe is a lock and if Turpin went down in a game you would put Kobe in there to finish the game, that doesn’t mean depth is covered because you have a bloke that at a pinch would be the best option to finish a game if Turpin goes down.

I've never once said Kobe is a utility. I've said he's a bloke who can play hooker if we need him to, but i'd prefer him at 13. I think I've said i dont feel we need Walters because he offers basically what Paix does, and my opinion of Paix is he would offer us about the same as Billy. Outside of that, i've basically said we have plenty of other options to cover the half positions so Walters would be well down the pecking order.

If we want an actual hooker, then i'd rather we signed one than spent the money on Walters. Our hooker depth even with Paix and Walters is poor because i'm not convinced either could do the job if we lost Turpin for a long period of time. There is a massive difference between a utility 14 and a hooker. They are to very different roles.

Kev has been openly talking about signing Billy since the moment he arrived. Not sure who else’s “fault” it would be.

I haven't heard him openly talking about it ... he's responded to a journo's question once or twice.

secondly, whose "fault" is it ... maybe the guy who is now in charge of recruitment, or maybe the new CEO who needs to sign off on these decisions. their predecessors always got their fair share of blame for recruiting decisions, so i'm not sure why these guys are immune from criticism, yet get praised for other decisions they make

I haven't heard him openly talking about it ... he's responded to a journo's question once or twice.

secondly, whose "fault" is it ... maybe the guy who is now in charge of recruitment, or maybe the new CEO who needs to sign off on these decisions. their predecessors always got their fair share of blame for recruiting decisions, so i'm not sure why these guys are immune from criticism, yet get praised for other decisions they make
So responding to questions isn’t openly talking about it?

I love how some of you take the opinion of some posters, generalise to all members and then use it as evidence of contradicting view points.

When have i completely blamed Kev? Have I not criticised both Ikin and DD when I’ve felt they’ve deserved it?

Kev championed this signing - arguing otherwise is being pedantic. Kev and DD both are also responsible sure. Do I think they would’ve signed him if Kev wasn’t coach? I find that hard to believe.

Do I even really care? No. But it is what it is - nepotism.

Some seem to think I’ve got it out for Kev. I don’t. I hope he succeeds. But we made plenty of excuses for Wayne, the club, and Seibold bother finally turning on them to different extents. Im not going to continue to make excuses for poor or mediocre decisions. I will be pointing them out. It just happens to be that Kev is the guy in charge at the moment - as is DD and Ikin - and I will and have criticised their decisions when deserved. I have also given credit when I see them doing good.- which there has been plenty of.

Are you saying in the event of an injury you would prefer Glenn or someone else in the 17 (assuming Paix isn't playing) at hooker than Hetherington? I think that is what Wolfie is getting at.

I understand but I don’t agree. If Turpin got hurt I’d play Gamble at 9, he throws a much better pass. Hetherington is versatile and I’d slot him in at 6 before I’d let him play 9 if I had to reshuffle. Kobe’s played ISC at 6 and was solid.

This is obviously speculation but the 1 year deal is just as likely to be due to this deal being obviously pushed for by Kev since he started - the 1 year deal placates Kev by not canning all the work he’s put into getting Billy to the club while committing the absolute minimal amount of resources the club can to the whole ordeal.

My problem is this signing has been openly discussed to the media since Walters took the job, it was a foregone conclusion. This signing screams he was a “must have” in kevvie’s eyes, not a great look imo. He isn’t just some handy depth option that came our way by clever bidding or anything. I will not bat an eyelid if he is shown favouritism when it comes to team selections too.
This

It might be a good (handy depth, utility, cheap) signing, or it might be a stuff up, God knows we have made several of those over the years.
But the issue I have is with some posters claiming factually that the signing does not happen if he isn't the coaches son. You might not like the signing but please wake up to the fact that you simply don't know this.
Of course it is possible to be true, but given that recruitment is not Kev's role, I choose to believe that we haven't signed him out of nepotism. DD and Ikin have shown they know how to run a footy club. Sure KW went to them and said I wanna sign Billy. But if DD and Ikin thought it was a bad signing they would've told him and not made it.
Glass half full fellas.

It might be a good (handy depth, utility, cheap) signing, or it might be a stuff up, God knows we have made several of those over the years.
But the issue I have is with some posters claiming factually that the signing does not happen if he isn't the coaches son. You might not like the signing but please wake up to the fact that you simply don't know this.
Of course it is possible to be true, but given that recruitment is not Kev's role, I choose to believe that we haven't signed him out of nepotism. DD and Ikin have shown they know how to run a footy club. Sure KW went to them and said I wanna sign Billy. But if DD and Ikin thought it was a bad signing they would've told him and not made it.
Glass half full fellas.

Do you think we chase him if he isn’t the coach’s son?

I don’t think anyone is saying this is factual, it is a legitimate point of contention and argument though.

I for one don’t care either way because I think he’s a really good depth player but I also don’t think he’s needed when we need solid depth in the backs and forwards as well.

I’m not going to die on this hill though because it doesn’t really bother me too much either way but I will defend those who question it when they put forward legitimate reasons for questioning it.

jodan pereira? Gamble? Kelly? All depth signings
What are you on. Gamble has been with us for years. Kelly isn’t for next year. Jordan Pereira hasn’t been confirmed and the warm down period has well and truly ended so I don’t think he’s necessarily guaranteed to be coming

Do you think we chase him if he isn’t the coach’s son?

I don’t think anyone is saying this is factual, it is a legitimate point of contention and argument though.

I for one don’t care either way because I think he’s a really good depth player but I also don’t think he’s needed when we need solid depth in the backs and forwards as well.

I’m not going to die on this hill though because it doesn’t really bother me too much either way but I will defend those who question it when they put forward legitimate reasons for questioning it.
"Do you think we chase him if he isn’t the coach’s son?" I've no idea @Sproj, I simply don't have all the facts to know.

"I don’t think anyone is saying this is factual..." Yeah I think they have. Plenty of folks saying we don't chase him if his name isn't Walters. That is not questioning it, it is stating it, and is really my only issue.

"... it is a legitimate point of contention and argument though." Yeah I agree with that, and if KW was solely responsible for recruitment it would have a stronger smell of nepotism for sure, but I'm hopeful that the presence of Donuts and Ikin make that less likely. Still I don't know.

I won't comment on the rest of your post as it's spot on :)

I will say one thing, I wish we had Walters yesterday instead of having to play Croft lol

Fair point for sure. It is hard to argue Walters wouldn’t be better than Croft or Milford.

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • ell.d33
  • mrslong
  • MrRobot
  • Bucking Beads
  • Lostboy
  • Midean
  • Big Del
  • Brotherdu
  • Tim K
  • Galah
  • Jedhead
  • Brocko
  • Hurrijo
  • KateBroncos1812
  • phoenix
  • Footy Fanatic
  • azza.79
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.