NEWS Mal Meninga open to swapping Ash Taylor with NRL rival

That would be a yikes from me, dog.

He is absolutely dropping hints in our direction, which means one of two things: either the club is already locked in negotiations with the Titans over Taylor's transfer (making all the Croft stuff interesting) and Meninga is jostling via the media, or he isn't and this is just a spur of the moment open selling of Taylor on the public market, which seriously doesn't say much for Ash Taylor right about now. When your boss effectively comes out and sells you to other clubs, it is a really bad look.

I have to admit though, Taylor vs Croft is a tough one.

Last edited:
That would be a yikes from me, dog.

He is absolutely dropping hints in our direction, which means one of two things: either the club is already locked in negotiations with the Titans over Taylor's transfer (making all the Croft stuff interesting) and Meninga is jostling via the media, or he isn't and this is just a spur of the moment open selling of Taylor on the public market, which seriously doesn't say much for Ash Taylor right about now. When your boss effectively comes out and sells you to other clubs, it is a really bad look.

I have to admit though, Taylor vs Croft is a tough one.
Croft in heartbeat.

If we could trade Boyd for him, you'd have to take it, wouldn't you.

I have a theory, based on nothing but intuition from reading these articles (because they repeat a lot of the same shit over and over anyway so it helps to put the pieces together), but I think Meninga has already offered Taylor to the Broncos for something like 200-300k a year plus a player in return (I reckon McC) and the club have fired back a message with the very public Seibold meeting with Croft and the 150k figure, which is about half what they offered for Taylor.

TL;DR, I theorize both clubs are manipulating the media to try and outmaneuver.

Last edited:
The thing is the titans have had half a dozen spoons in three-quarter dozen seasons. Macca, Gillett, and even Boyd would help a team like titans go from perennial seller dwellers to mid table also-rans. That’s a significant improvement. The issue for those players and us is that we are already mid table also-rans and they won’t help us become premiership contenders.

Any or all of those players would be very good pick ups for the titans. A player swap of Ash Taylor and any two of those players and it’s a massive step in the right direction for the titans. Ash Taylor has all the ability our team needs to become premiership contenders, so on paper a trade is in everyone’s best interest...except Ash Taylor’s attitude is very concerning.

Ash does have a really good kicking game and had a decent short pass and could take on the line but I'm not sure he's gonna direct the team around well or he a decent role model for Dearden. Plus he's a long way off being mentally ready to add anything to a team. He will end up a passenger. The only coach who could prob help him is now at the rabbits. I think Croft is a better option...

It is crazy for meninga to be playing this out in public.
Any deal should be done behind closed doors with the proviso that if it becomes public before it’s completed it will be called off.
Having said that I am not in favour of getting him we have enough under performing players to deal with as it is we don’t need to take on anyone else’s problems.

Solid no right here.
Too much baggage at a time when we need some level heads in the squad.
I personally think Ash is done.

Meninga probably wants Haas or Fifita. Him and Gordy probably got together and convinced each other it would be a fair swap and they are geniuses for coming up with it.

I think this is quite likely to be true.

Meninga probably wants Haas or Fifita. Him and Gordy probably got together and convinced each other it would be a fair swap and they are geniuses for coming up with it.

Nah your only half right, given their combined salary would equate to Ash, haas and Fifi combined would be a fair SWAP

Mal Meninga open to swapping
Ash Taylor with NRL rival

Peter Badel,
The Courier-Mail
September 28, 2019 5:35pm

Gold Coast culture chief Mal Meninga is determined to get the best out of Ash Taylor but has revealed he will broker a straight swap with another NRL club if the troubled playmaker wants out of the Titans.

Meninga made it clear his priority is for Taylor to see out his $3 million deal at the Titans, with the Gold Coast continuing to provide professional counselling in the hope of restoring the confidence of their most important playmaker. However, Meninga says he is open to the prospect of rubber-stamping a release for Taylor if the Titans or the halfback himself decides his best opportunity of a career resurrection rests with an NRL rival.

Ash Taylor had a tough season in 2019. Picture: Joel Carrett

Ash Taylor had a tough season in 2019. Picture: Joel Carrett

The Sunday Mail can reveal the Broncos are prepared to issue a lifeline for Taylor to return to Red Hill next season. But Brisbane would not offer the former Broncos under-20s young gun more than a basic $150,000 contract, beefed-up by a major subsidy from the Titans on his existing $1 million-a-season deal. That scenario is implausible for the Titans, who see no point jettisoning Taylor if they have to write off more than $700,000 on their salary cap in 2020 as part of an early transfer.

Taylor took time away from the game during the season. Picture: Chris Hyde

Taylor took time away from the game during the season. Picture: Chris Hyde

But the possibility of a straight swap is a consideration for Meninga, who says he will entertain other playmaking options under a trade deal if Taylor feels he needs a fresh start to kickstart his teetering NRL career. “At the end of the day, the ball is in Ash’s court,” Meninga said. “Personally, I would love to see Ash succeed at the Titans and we’re doing everything possible to get him back to where he needs to be. “But if it’s not working for Ash or for us then I would consider something like a straight swap if another club was interested and it worked out well for all parties.

Mal Meninga is trying to get his star playmaker back on track. Picture: Dave Hunt

Mal Meninga is trying to get his star playmaker back on track. Picture: Dave Hunt

“As everyone knows, Ash takes up a large portion of our salary cap so it’s in our best interests to ensure he performs accordingly. There’s no point in us just letting Ash go and having a fair amount of money sitting on our salary cap.” On the verge of a Queensland Origin debut last year, Taylor’s career sensationally careered off the rails this season.

The 24-year-old was granted compassionate leave by the club in June after his confidence hit such a low he refused to take a pressure, match-levelling penalty goal in the Titans’ 6-4 loss to the Cowboys. In recent months, Taylor has been seeing a psychologist to help him overcome his mental demons. The 2016 NRL rookie-of-the-year finished the season with six games for feeder club Tweed in the Intrust Super Cup.

Taylor will embark on a holiday to New Zealand this week to help cleanse the body and mind, and Meninga remains hopeful new coach Justin Holbrook can extract the best of the classy No. 7. “Ash has been in a better headspace recently,” Meninga said. “We’ve given him a lot of support and I’m confident that under a new coach with Justin next year, it’s the fresh start to help Ash get back to his best for the Titans.”

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Just a small aside ... watching Ash Taylor highlights on YouTube ... he puts up a bomb and the FB drops it ... Isaako was FB lol hahaha the useless clod Isaako.

We should swap Isaako for Taylor. Value there.

Active Now

• Mighty Bronx
  • Gaz
  • Waynesaurus
  • Brocko
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.