Marshall backs Milf for Maroons

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
BENJI Marshall has emerged as a key figure in Anthony Milford’s Origin elevation and insists he never bagged the Maroons debutant for being a poor trainer.

Marshall will step into Milford’s Broncos No.6 jersey in New Zealand on Saturday as the pocket rocket prepares to make his first appearance for Queensland.

Earlier this season, Marshall was the centre of a storm following claims made by a presenter on Fox Sports show NRL 360 he had concerns over Milford’s training attitude.

Speaking publicly about the drama for the first time, Marshall said he had smoothed the waters with Milford.

“I didn’t say that. If I did have any of those feelings I’d say it straight to Anthony,” Marshall said.

“We cleared it up pretty well that I didn’t say that. We’re all good here. The first person I spoke to was Milf about it and there was no drama there.

“Some things get blown out of proportion. It’s a bit like when people have said me and Robbie Farah hated each other (when we were at Wests Tigers). That stuff doesn’t go away.

“Me and Milf are pretty tight.”

Whether Milford is a poor trainer or not is irrelevant because he is on the verge of making his State of Origin debut. The Broncos five-eighth will replace Johnathan Thurston (shoulder) in Game One at Suncorp Stadium on Wednesday.

Milford has been in sensational form for the Broncos this season and former Kiwis playmaker Marshall said he had taken him under his wing.

“He reminds me a little bit of me when I was younger,” Marshall said. “He doesn’t have a care in the world. He’s loving playing footy.

“To see where he’s at for his age is pretty impressive. You forget he’s only 22 years old and on the verge of making his Origin debut. That makes me proud. I’ve seen his growth here at the club, how much effort and training he’s been putting in to becoming a better player.

“Surrounding himself with that calibre of players for the whole week in camp will build his confidence. He’ll bring back a lot of confidence and energy.

“Leading into the back half of the season we will need that from him.”

Injuries have restricted the 32-year-old Marshall to just nine minutes of NRL action in his first season at the Broncos. He will partner returning halfback Ben Hunt (hamstring) against the Warriors at Mt Smart Stadium on Saturday and said he was relishing a return to the NRL.

“My whole point of coming to Brisbane was to change things up and be coached by Wayne (Bennett) at a great club,” he said.

“I’m excited to get the opportunity to play in a position I’m well accustomed to.

“The time Hunty and myself spent in (injury) rehab together was good. Our chemistry is pretty good, which helps us on the field.

“I trained with him on Wednesday and it feels natural. I’m back playing five-eighth and don’t have to worry so much about organising the team. I can focus on running the footy a bit more.

“The reason I came here was to enjoy my footy and I’ll look to do that this week.”

The Broncos will face the Warriors without Origin representatives Darius Boyd, Corey Oates, Matt Gillett, Sam Thaiday, Josh McGuire and Milford along with hooker Andrew McCullough (concussion).

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...d/news-story/51c485b4daf326bb497652b1cb8d8cf0

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Fozz
  • Bongo
  • Ozired
  • I bleed Maroon
  • cento
  • Justwin
  • Harry Sack
  • Fitzy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Kev_Guz
  • marw
  • Painin the Haas
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Culhwch
  • Porthoz
  • Allo
  • Manlyman
  • Turks85
  • Griffo
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.