Martin Kennedy signs with Broncos

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
Hopefully mcrone is on a one year deal as a stop gap solution.... Or we poached one of their youngsters.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
No Cookies | thetelegraph.com.au

Interesting stuff at the end of the article, apparently Lui is eyeing a move to Manly. Thoughts?
Excellent, cleaning the deadwood to sign Barba and DCE, that's a spine to build a premiership around, especially with our forward pack.

According to that article we've signed him for 1M for 3 years, which isn't a bad price considering a 6m salary cap but that's not to say CM have a real idea of the price.

Last edited:
GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
BRISBANE have scored a $1 million coup, with Martin Kennedy, the Queensland Origin hopeful spotted by the late Arthur Beetson, agreeing to join the Broncos until the end of 2016.

The Courier-Mail understands rising prop Dunamis Lui is eyeing a move to Manly, while veteran bookend Scott Anderson is unlikely to be at Red Hill next season.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
No Cookies | thetelegraph.com.au

Interesting stuff at the end of the article, apparently Lui is eyeing a move to Manly. Thoughts?

I also see in the article that signing Kennedy pretty much rules out any move for Shillington. Good stuff in my book.

If you offered me the choice between Shillo and The Raging Redhead, it's the latter every time for me.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
The footy show just said Kennedy has been given permission to look for a new club for 2014. But not that we have signed him

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
The 2nd sentence is good, but $333K a season is a lot for someone like him.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Far better option to go for Kennedy then Shillington, Shillington hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire and his at the backend of his career, Kennedy has had injuries sure but his young, close to cracking the Qld SOO side and has been quality for the Roosters when his played, much more to work with, less to lose.

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
[video=youtube_share;R-I97ZcHWjU]http://youtu.be/R-I97ZcHWjU?t=1m25s[/video]

Last edited:
GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008

Not really for a quality prop, particularly one in SOO contention, Lui and Anderson are likely to be gone anyway, Tasi and Kennedy far better and well worth the money.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

No it's not, not in a salary cap environment that is going up by another 800k next year, it's actually very good coin for a very good prop that is just coming into his prime

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Very happy with $1m over 3 years, I'm guessing it will be something like..

2014 - $300k
2015 - $350k
2016 - $350k

Still plenty of room under the salary cap for another signing or two. Big ones.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
when the cap is 7 mil, if you spread that evenly across 25 players it would be 280k per player. so 350 for an improving prop whos basically next in line for origin is pretty decent.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
I think this is a fantastic signing. Kennedy is a good young forward with a lot of promise and could go on to be an excellent forward. For me there are a lot of other positives though:

+ No more Lui
+ No more Sanderson
+ Thaiday back to backrow
+ No Shillington signing
+ How often is Hannant injured these days? Plus in 1-2 years he'll be in decline. This is a great long term replacement for him
+ McGuire can now play lock in future to replace Parker. Plus McGuire himself has long term ? given his eye injury.
+ 333k/year in today's term is an absolute steal. For those that disagree, remember Darcy Lussick is on 450k a year.
+ Kennedy is an aggressive bugger and will inject some sorely lacking mongrel into our pack.

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Kennedy starts from 25?

I kid, good signing and as B4L said with the cap currently at $5.8M and going up every year that isn't a lot.

Unread

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • BroncosAlways
  • levikaden
  • broncoscope
  • Broncosarethebest
  • BRC088
  • bazza
  • Swordfish
  • Harry Sack
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.