Matt Cecchin

It is quite strange that before I joined this forum my favourite player was Andrew McCullough but everyone's influence influenced me and now my favourite player is Jordan Kahu

Yeah where was my head at?

May as well be TaylorHQ.

We aren't much better

Round 2 and 3 were unbearable here for blaming refs. We have been pretty good since then seeing as we have our scapegoats. Chookpen it is always the refs fault.

It's funny because the call most fans remember in Round 2 '17 was THAT pass from Roberts to Kahu.

That game did feature one of my least favourite calls, the 'phantom' penalty. Whenever the referee just decides out of the blue to penalise the team for the sake of it...it kills me everytime. Like Origin I when Boyd received a penalty on a kick return and everything else was let go. Why? Why is that a penalty and the other instances completely fine? It just comes off as pre-meditated, like we'll set a tone, penalise this and see how they respond.

It's funny because the call most fans remember in Round 2 '17 was THAT pass from Roberts to Kahu.

That game did feature one of my least favourite calls, the 'phantom' penalty. Whenever the referee just decides out of the blue to penalise the team for the sake of it...it kills me everytime. Like Origin I when Boyd received a penalty on a kick return and everything else was let go. Why? Why is that a penalty and the other instances completely fine? It just comes off as pre-meditated, like we'll set a tone, penalise this and see how they respond.

Great post.

TBH, that is one of the things that drives me nuts! These arbitrary penalties. The ones where we'll penalise a bloke in the 56th minute for something he's been doing all game...

...Then in the following set he'll do the same thing and be let go...

This nonsense simply cannot stand.

When I start to lose all hope I just look at crowd numbers...which are sitting in the toilet... and the NRL's precious TV ratings which, although good, from previous season's openings are lightly down. It gives me a little hope.

Unfortunately it won't lead to genuine change. When crowds and ratings drop the NRL won't think of reform they'll think "Shit! Let's make Origin a bigger pantomime and a larger than life spectacle than it is right now!!!" We need billions watching three games a year not measly millions. Bring the drama! Bring the entertainment!

Cam Smith is Daniel Bryan. Wheel Paul Gallen out like Triple H with a skull mask like a Game of thrones villain. It's all pretend anyway.

@Big Pete I don't agree with everything Gore says and writes as most of it is a shot across the bow designed to generate clicks and discussions but what was your take on his idea of a player should have a mandated one-match suspension once they incur ten penalties?

I think it's good. NRL players aren't stupid. Punching was eradicated overnight once there was a clear rule.

Here's the full article in context: http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/04/1...r-as-tony-archer-fails-to-bring-back-the-bin/

but what was your take on his idea of a player should have a mandated one-match suspension once they incur ten penalties?

It seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Too many variables and what happens come finals time? Miss out on a grand final because you got incorrectly penalised two times?

It's clear what has to happen. The NRL should use the sin-bin more liberally and that's been obvious since 2013.

It's gotten to a point where you can predict when someone is going to get a penalty.

Whenever a team is starting to get over the top of their opponent and defensively putting them under pressure, 9 times out of 10 the team under pressure will receive a penalty, likeky for a hand on the ball or working over in the tackle, those are the most popular ones.

It's clear what has to happen. The NRL should use the sin-bin more liberally and that's been obvious since 2013.

Agreed completely. Needs to be used a lot more and they should make it a 'powerplay' for professional foul sin bins, so that the player can return after a try is scored by the opposition. Full 10 minutes should only be for foul play (e.g. punching/slapping)

It seems like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Too many variables and what happens come finals time? Miss out on a grand final because you got incorrectly penalised two times?

Or have "media darling x" not be penalised for obvious crap because ref knows he is sitting on 8 or 9 penalties already. Sin bin is the answer, just need refs with the kahunas to use it.

Probably Morkel.

Ah...well.

tenor.gif

Matt Cecchin being considered the top ref in the game really shows the lack of quality we have in the ranks.

He has been abysmal.

The only ref that I think is actually a quality ref is Atkins.

Matt Cecchin being considered the top ref in the game really shows the lack of quality we have in the ranks.

He has been abysmal.

The only ref that I think is actually a quality ref is Atkins.
I honestly can't remember a match where he's put in a competent performance.

Atkins is the best of the lot probably because he hasn't the chance to be corrupted yet. Just wait until he starts getting a profile!

The problem is that Archer doesn't hold refs accountable for their errors.

I'm decisions that the entire rugby league world can see are incorrect, he backs and claims they made the correct call.

Therefore refs don't learn from there mistakes... they also don't fear getting dropped, since Archer never drops anyone.

It was especially farcical when Archer claimed that the bunker only made 5 errors last year.

And don't get me started on the square-up penalties thing

I seriously hate the ****. Him and that blind as batshit female touch judge can EAD.

Active Now

• Dash
  • Alec
  • GCBRONCO
  • Broncorob
  • Harry Sack
  • leon.bott
  • Xzei
  • Redux
  • IceWorks
  • Bronx48
  • broncos4life
  • Fozz
  • RodF
  • Midean
  • Foordy
  • TimWhatley
  • KateBroncos1812
  • FACTHUNT
  • Wolfie
  • TwoLeftFeet
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.