Matt Cecchin

I don't get how this is a nine page thread, singling out one ref when they all make terrible decisions is a bit rich.

Complaining about refs makes me more irate than actual refs, I'd rather own my team's inability to overcome them.

Last edited:
I don't get how this is a nine page thread, singling out one ref when they all make terrible decisions is a bit rich.

Complaining about refs makes me more irate than actual refs, I'd rather own my team's inability to overcome them.

So you find the incompetence of referees ok but actually complaining about howlers irritating? Are you Tony Archer by any chance?

In a nutshell: all refs are shit, complaining about it is just as shit.

JUST WIN FFS

Why? Why do we have to constantly settle for incompetence and mediocrity as league supporters? THAT is the issue that ticks me off.

Why? Why do we have to constantly settle for incompetence and mediocrity as league supporters? THAT is the issue that ticks me off.
What makes you so sure it's incompetence? I'd say a 10-2 penalty count to us while we had 50 put on us shows exactly what it is. They know exactly what they are doing. It's a far cry from incompetence.

Ref-blaming is ingrained in the sporting culture, people act like it's a Broncos, Raiders, Roosters thing but even in the NFL and NBA you see the umpires discussed just as much as the players these days.

That doesn't invalidate all of the criticism mind you. I just believe in a time and place and fans have to be mindful of who they listen to. For instance, I wouldn't listen to an ex-coach or an ex-player because naturally they'll want as little intervention as possible. I'd much rather take notes from other sports to see what they're doing to eliminate mistakes and see how that can be incorporated into Rugby League.

For instance, I'd love to see Rugby League players and referees have the same rapport you see in Union.

Ref-blaming is ingrained in the sporting culture, people act like it's a Broncos, Raiders, Roosters thing but even in the NFL and NBA you see the umpires discussed just as much as the players these days.

That doesn't invalidate all of the criticism mind you. I just believe in a time and place and fans have to be mindful of who they listen to. For instance, I wouldn't listen to an ex-coach or an ex-player because naturally they'll want as little intervention as possible. I'd much rather take notes from other sports to see what they're doing to eliminate mistakes and see how that can be incorporated into Rugby League.

For instance, I'd love to see Rugby League players and referees have the same rapport you see in Union.

The refs in Union have balls. If they see an infringement committed by the attacking team they blow the whistle for a penalty, they don't wait to see if the attacking team scores a try so they can send it to the video ref and too bad if a tackle occurs before then, If it's a sin bin offence the bloke gets a sin bin. If it's a send off offence the bloke gets a sendoff. In union if a ref calls a player over for a chat they shut up and listen and do as the ref says. Not only this, a captain like JT wouldn't last 2 minutes in union because as soon as he started having one of his trademark bitchfits to the refs he would be sent for 10. And if he did it again he would be sent for 10 again.

The refs in Union have balls. If they see an infringement committed by the attacking team they blow the whistle for a penalty, they don't wait to see if the attacking team scores a try so they can send it to the video ref and too bad if a tackle occurs before then, If it's a sin bin offence the bloke gets a sin bin. If it's a send off offence the bloke gets a sendoff. In union if a ref calls a player over for a chat they shut up and listen and do as the ref says. Not only this, a captain like JT wouldn't last 2 minutes in union because as soon as he started having one of his trademark bitchfits to the refs he would be sent for 10. And if he did it again he would be sent for 10 again.

Love this post, liking it is not enough. One of my pet hates of the referees in league is their familiarity on field with the players. We know how they love to coach players like, "get off him now Andrew" or "James, you're offside" or "sorry Smithy, you're right and we'll just change that one for you there."

In union, they simply refer to players by the colour of their jersey and the number on their backs, at the very least taking some semblance of bias out of the equation, "Number 3 yellow, come here please". Number 3 yellow walks up to the ref, the ref explains whatever and number 3 yellow does it, I love that about union. Not only that, the TMO (video ref) only has any effect when called upon and when called upon happens, they actually call what everyone else sees and don't make up stuff to suit 'the flow of the game'.

He has been out of form for a few months but I still think he is clearly the best out of all of em.

Grant Atkins is shitting over all of them at the moment.

Love this post, liking it is not enough. One of my pet hates of the referees in league is their familiarity on field with the players. We know how they love to coach players like, "get off him now Andrew" or "James, you're offside" or "sorry Smithy, you're right and we'll just change that one for you there."

In union, they simply refer to players by the colour of their jersey and the number on their backs, at the very least taking some semblance of bias out of the equation, "Number 3 yellow, come here please". Number 3 yellow walks up to the ref, the ref explains whatever and number 3 yellow does it, I love that about union. Not only that, the TMO (video ref) only has any effect when called upon and when called upon happens, they actually call what everyone else sees and don't make up stuff to suit 'the flow of the game'.
I love how their TMO isn't as structured as the NRL. The referee and the video ref actually discuss the decision together rather the the on-field referee being forced into a random guess and then being completely removed from the situation.

So if Cecchin is responsible for blatant penalty square-ups, team coaching, and manufacturing close finishes, does that make him a horrible referee, or Greenturd's best referee?

Grant Atkins is shitting over all of them at the moment.

I don't mind him also. Cecchin's main problem now that since he became the main dude that he has this arrogance about him. Especially when talking to players and just his general manner. It's what I hate about Cummins. I actually believe they got rid of one of their better ones in Maxwell. Then again alot of radio commentators love Cecchin because he doesn't take shit. They can never win. Will be always something wrong

At the end of the day the Broncos were their own worst enemy, but those two forward pass calls put me in a mood. I can live with the Mead to Milford call, but the Hunt call was rubbish and completely swung the momentum of the match. After Blair came up with the try-saver on Liu, the last thing the Broncos needed to do was find themselves back on their line.

I'd be OK with it if the referees were consistent with it, but they weren't. The Roosters were able to play their natural game, which was littered with forward passes far worse than what we saw from Hunt and instead of getting pinged for it, they get the rewards.

Don't even get me started on the Warea-Hargreaves play the ball. He didn't just step over the ball without playing it, he just played it through the middle of his legs!

Gotta complain about teams before the games if you want to get a fair go. It took Cowboys a couple of years of whinging, but now they get most calls. We can take the high road and smell our own farts if we want, but then we gotta accept getting shit calls.

According to most fans we get the rub of the green apparently.

Those forward pass calls continue to stick up my craw, were any passes called forward in the Storm/Eels game? Why have a crackdown if you're going to stop as soon as Sydney score opening points?

Those forward pass calls continue to stick up my craw, were any passes called forward in the Storm/Eels game? Why have a crackdown if you're going to stop as soon as Sydney score opening points?
I remember one from Norman to Takarangi, and that was at least a metre forward. So it was called

And I thought 2 refs was supposed to fix a lot of this. 1 at the ruck and 1 on the 10.

I get more pissed at the play the ball and lingering on the tackled player when there has been no dominance. It just doesn't matter if the attacker has continued forward momentum the D still piles on top and lies there.

The refs interpretations are now being interpreted and we are that bit more away from the original rules but hey, we are selling a product into a market place so league fans should just STFU and let the business people do their thing.

And I thought 2 refs was supposed to fix a lot of this. 1 at the ruck and 1 on the 10.

I get more pissed at the play the ball and lingering on the tackled player when there has been no dominance. It just doesn't matter if the attacker has continued forward momentum the D still piles on top and lies there.

The refs interpretations are now being interpreted and we are that bit more away from the original rules but hey, we are selling a product into a market place so league fans should just STFU and let the business people do their thing.

Which continually cracks me up when TV ratings are down and you get three people to a finals game between numbers 2 and 3 in the comp.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • BroncoFan94
  • Cavalo
  • Browny
  • ivanhungryjak
  • BroncosAlways
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Broncorob
  • NSW stables
  • Hurrijo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.