Matt Lodge Discussion

campaigns.json

Brisbane Broncos got it wrong on Matt Lodge; not by signing him but by not letting him speak

Peter Badel, The Courier-MailMarch 6, 2018 7:00pm
Subscriber only
WAYNE Bennett’s best-selling book is titled Man In The Mirror.
The Broncos would do well to heed the mantra of their supercoach by holding a mirror to their souls and accepting their culpability in the Matt Lodge affair.
From a media strategy perspective, Brisbane have dropped the ball horrendously on the Lodge episode. They have misread his complex re-entry to the NRL and what was needed to help Lodge in the court of public opinion.
Brisbane’s handling of the Lodge saga has fuelled a societal perception that the prop is remorseless for his night of madness in New York in October 2015.

f91f08145ff6cf82ebdf6f7c18124c9d

Lodge has been at the centre of the storm since his return. (AAP Image/Josh Woning)
The common man feels this way because they have not heard a shrill of contrition from Lodge. There has been no candid confession. No public apology. No appearance detailing his genuine embarrassment at the night that briefly landed him in an American prison and changed his life.
That is no fault of Lodge.
It is mostly the fault of the Broncos and the myopic legal eagles who have gagged Lodge, wrapping him in a verbal straitjacket that has shown little regard for what people respect and value the most — someone who speaks the truth.
The Broncos have made little effort to humanise or normalise Lodge. Legal advice hasn’t helped them. But if he is fit enough to be registered by the NRL, he is fit enough to man up and talk. Yet no one has heard from him.
7d836ca19cfa7678b6ffbe7dd5382987

Wayne Bennett has put his faith in Lodge. (AAP Image/Dave Hunt)
Repeated media requests to talk to him have been denied. The silence is deafening. Joe Public, armed solely with the chilling accounts of his US victims, is left to view Lodge as some heartless, mythical monster.
The reality is quite stark.
As one of the few people who has met with Lodge in the past year, I know differently.
I have seen remorse in his eyes. I have heard him talk with part-shame, part-horror when he recalls the drunken lout who mixed eight sleeping pills with booze and terrorised an American family.
Perception is reality and perceptions can be shaped by what a person is seento be doing. Lodge has wanted to talk. In fact, he is quite prepared to openly detail his remorse and take responsibility for his American sins.
On Wednesday night, sanity will finally prevail. Fox Sports’ League Life program will air a 20-minute interview where Lodge opens up to respected presenter Yvonne Sampson.
d6ef485f83ffa169b6f5741caf82e7ca

CCTV images of Lodge assaulting a man in New York.
I’ve heard parts of the interview. Lodge won’t suddenly become a media darling as a result but he will give some context to the disturbing inferno that has cast a pall over the start of the 2018 NRL premiership.
For the Broncos, it should be a kick up the backside.
For too long, the club, perhaps emboldened by being Queensland’s flagship sporting team, has felt bulletproof and impervious to criticism.
Their default behaviour in times of an off-field crisis is predictable. Batten down the hatches. Say nothing. Ride out the storm. And when it finally passes, pop your heads up into the glorious sunshine, hoping every media nark has gone away.

7791730a2a140057c26f4060d9c266b1

5636d02c253c87ffc98b00ce32a7abae

Matt Lodge wells up talking about his family
The Lodge experience is proof that not every storm passes so easily.
Last week, Bennett said he signed Lodge because he is a “good player”. No longer is that enough.
The conduct of NRL players is equally critical or the moral fibre of clubs decay.
For the Broncos, the Man In The Mirror — and what they are seen to represent in backing Lodge — matters more than ever.
template

Badel gunning for the title of biggest hack in league.

Last edited:
If the "court of public opinion" was actually taken seriously, Darren Lockyer would have been hooked from the Maroons in 2005.

Bloody hell how many articles can possibly be written, talk about flogging a dead horse this is beyond a joke now. The media would want to hope the bloke has a good support network and mental toughness or they’ll drive him to do something unthinkable. All this talk of cracking down on online bullying in schools lately but surely having 2-3 negative reports a day surface about you for a week Striaght has to be considered bullying to an extent. Not sticking up for his actions at all but this is getting passed the point of embarassing now from media organisations.

Bloody hell how many articles can possibly be written, talk about flogging a dead horse this is beyond a joke now. The media would want to hope the bloke has a good support network and mental toughness or they’ll drive him to do something unthinkable. All this talk of cracking down on online bullying in schools lately but surely having 2-3 negative reports a day surface about you for a week Striaght has to be considered bullying to an extent. Not sticking up for his actions at all but this is getting passed the point of embarassing now from media organisations.
Absolutely right, this has turned to straight out bullying.

If they like talking about ancient history so much I'd love to hear if Ikins father has made restitution to the investors who lost over $10 mill in his failed company.

The worst part is people like Kent and Ikin are safe from any criticism because they're not online like some other "journalists". I'd hate to give him any credit but at least Buzz Rothfield doesn't hide away

No, he just blocks people on Twitter that hold dissenting opinions to his so he can continue with his BS unchallenged
True, but at least you can tell him he's a dickhead before getting blocked

Badel gunning for the title of biggest hack in league.
Does this guy have an opinion of his own?? That whole article is basically regurgitation of Kent for the last week.

Would love for the broncos to black ball him and refuse to give him anything. Surely he has burnt some bridges by now.

He's in a one club town where the broncos are his only bread winner and he's trying to join the Sydney circle jerk. How idiotic can one person be.

Does this guy have an opinion of his own?? That whole article is basically regurgitation of Kent for the last week.

Would love for the broncos to black ball him and refuse to give him anything. Surely he has burnt some bridges by now.

He's in a one club town where the broncos are his only bread winner and he's trying to join the Sydney circle jerk. How idiotic can one person be.

badel is a fucking parasite - he is a younger more greasy version of danny weidler

Not exactly pumped that he's already indicated he wants to move back to Sydney, if that article is to be believed.

We're the ones coping it sideways, 12 months down the track when he's a gun and signs for $800k or something ridiculous for a Sydney club there'll be no faux outrage, no one will give a ****.

Would like to try and re-sign him to another year early in the season if his performances match the hype.

At least Bennett called them out for the timings after knowing about the signing for months

Was literally just thinking about this before jumping on. What would they do if he hurt himself after all of this? They constantly piss and moan about player welfare and the like......young players kill themselves and they talk about the pressures of the game and the sport and how terrible it all is. Meanwhile they have no problem writing multiple articles daily, slamming someone who clearly has issues but is doing his best to get his life back on track. What will they do if he necks himself? Post an article blaming the NRL for not looking after the players most likely.

Yeah, this is the problem. We’re investing in his future by copping part of the ugliness but not sure we’ll see the return beyond this season.
True but this has been the risk from day dot.

What we are getting is a starting calibre prop (in our rotation) for $85k.

It will be up to the broncos to secure his long term future when the NSW vultures come circling.

Maybe he'll be like jimmy and commit long term because he sees the advantages of staying with a team that is keeping him on track.

100k is minimum wage, no matter what is reported. But yeah, you’re right otherwise. I just don’t see that that this bloke will have any loyalty, and maybe rightly so.

I dunno much about it, but I heard people say the last 5 or so players on your 30 man roster can have a lower minimum (recorded) wage. So guys like Tedesco, Cordner, Smith and co.

I thought he was on $85k last year and thats where the figure came from.

Of course its the risk, I just don't like the fact that if the article and Gould are correct, he had to be convinced to stay here.

Gould was probably just keeping his powder dry, waiting for the storm to blow over and then look at him for next year.

I thought he was on $85k last year and thats where the figure came from.

Of course its the risk, I just don't like the fact that if the article and Gould are correct, he had to be convinced to stay here.

Gould was probably just keeping his powder dry, waiting for the storm to blow over and then look at him for next year.

To be fair his partner and child are in Sydney.

Unread

Active Now

• TwoLeftFeet
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Mighty Bronx
  • rnabokov
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.