Matt Lodge

Fat Gandalf

BRL Player
Contract clause could keep gun Bronco Matt Lodge in Brisbane’s stable

Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail
May 26, 2019 9:31am

Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold has lauded Matt Lodge’s leadership ability as it emerged the Broncos prop contains a key clause in his contract that can keep him at Red Hill until the end of 2022.

Lodge, who turns 24 this Friday, continued his outstanding season on Saturday night, combining with front-row cohort Payne Haas as he charged for 167 metres in Brisbane’s grinding 8-2 defeat of the Warriors in Auckland.
The 117kg bookend has now amassed a whopping 1216 metres this season at an average of 152 per game, numbers that have piqued the interest of NSW selectors.

Matt Lodge could extend his stay at Red Hill. Picture: Darren England

And the good news for the Broncos is that Lodge has the contractual ability to pledge his allegiance to the club for the long haul.
Last December, Lodge shunned a massive offer from Newcastle to ink a two-year deal with Brisbane, but what few know is that he has an additional two-year option in his favour, which could keep him at the Broncos for another four years.
If he continues his rampaging form in a Broncos team littered with young guns, Lodge would surely be keen to activate the option and spearhead Brisbane’s pack until his late 20s.
While engine-room partner Haas has sent the NRL world into a frenzy with his midfield talents, Seibold rates Lodge as the unsung hero with his grunt, workrate and no-nonsense charges.

Lodge has been in strong form in 2019. Picture: Darren England

“Payne Haas and Matt Lodge have done a good job for us the last few weeks,” Seibold said.
“Payne has got a lot of media and rightly so for his performances, but sometimes I feel ‘Lodgey’ gets forgotten about.
“He has been a real leader for our pack for the entire season.
“Sometimes Lodgey doesn’t get the pats on the back but he has been very good for us, the growth in his game and his leadership on and off the field has been very good. It’s a credit to him.
“I’m really enjoying seeing what Payne and Lodgey are doing for us at the moment, they are really doing their jobs.”
In eight games this season, Lodge has failed to amass 100 metres or more in a match just one.
His season-best effort, 213 metres against premiers the Roosters a fortnight ago in Brisbane’s 15-10 boilover, underscored Lodge’s ability to step up against top-shelf opposition.

Seibold said Lodge was the poster boy for the evolution of Brisbane’s slew of young talents including Haas, Tom Flegler, Pat Carrigan, David Fifita and Kotoni Staggs.
The Broncos enter the bye weekend with a 5-6 record and are back in touch with the top eight ahead of their next clash against the Titans on Sunday week.
“We’ve got some talented players and you want to see them use their talents and abilities, but it’s my job to make them accountable,” Seibold said.
“I’ve got a game model built around efforts and we are seeing traction.
“I have picked this team on effort over the last three games in particular and they have kept turning up for each other which is really pleasing.
“We get an opportunity to take a breath now and when we come back (from the bye), I want to see effort again.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/broncos/contract-clause-could-keep-gun-bronco-matt-lodge-in-brisbanes-stable/news-story/96b4d999e721b30bd32b4d9ef0f3c9ee

Thats the only Lodge one I saw up on Couriermail at the moment

Last edited by a moderator:

Footy Fanatic

QCup Player
Hopefully he sticks around, but they can't all play at once.
I think they can if we play them like this in 2020:

8. Lodge
10. Haas
11. Fifita
12. Gillett
13. Carrigan/TPJ

15. TPJ/Carrigan
16. Ofahengaue
17. Flegler

The only problem is that we also have Bullemor coming through and then we might have some decisions to make.

With the forwards we have, I would offer TPJ anymore than 550 a year.

QCup Player
Lets hope the environment, facilities and lifestyle keeps him around. We wont have the mega dollars to offer - im sure some clubs would throw 600K at him easily.

The way hes been playing is fantastic. Definitely not receiving as much credit as he should!

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Player
He's absolutely integral to this side now.
He'll stick around

It's also very important and highly tactical having a mixed race forward rotation with various body shapes, skillsets and styles.

Lodge and Haas complement each other very nicely

Alec

International Rep
It'll be hard to keep both Lodge and TPJ at the same time. Unless they both want to take the exact same wage they are on now, but in reality they'll both want upgrades. It's just the nature of the NRL, you need a balanced squad, and you have to let players go and promote rookies or sign journeymen.

Unless you are the Roosters.

I think they can if we play them like this in 2020:

8. Lodge
10. Haas
11. Fifita
12. Gillett
13. Carrigan/TPJ

15. TPJ/Carrigan
16. Ofahengaue
17. Flegler

The only problem is that we also have Bullemor coming through and then we might have some decisions to make.

With the forwards we have, I would offer TPJ anymore than 550 a year.
Yeah unfortunately I think TPJ is the odd one out for what other clubs could offer, Bullemore has footwork and similar build to TPJ and Lolo.

Footy Fanatic

QCup Player
Yeah unfortunately I think TPJ is the odd one out for what other clubs could offer, Bullemore has footwork and similar build to TPJ and Lolo.
Not to mention, from what 1910 Bullemore is a smart footballer and will cost way less at this stage than TPJ at this stage.

Jason Simmons

NRL Player
lol **** there’s some wild posts on this forum sometimes.
I know! Couldn’t believe it when I read that...

Why stop there though? Maybe what we really need is a good healthy dose of eugenics, in our recruitment and retention decisions!

Maybe through in a bit of Phrenology for good measure and have our ‘coloured’ development players work the cotton fields a bit for ‘life skills’?

Unbelievable...

Last edited:

QCup Player

Why stop there though? Maybe what we really need is a good healthy dose of eugenics, in our recruitment and retention decisions!

Maybe through in a bit of Phrenology for good measure and have our ‘coloured’ development players work the cotton fields a bit for ‘life skills’?

Unbelievable...
Penrith went on a spree of scholarships, rep selection and contract offerings which favoured (word use lightly for politics) specific nationalities and backgrounds for a while. Then Gus had to come in and sort out the mess.

theshed

NRL Player
Penrith went on a spree of scholarships, rep selection and contract offerings which favoured (word use lightly for politics) specific nationalities and backgrounds for a while. Then Gus had to come in and sort out the mess.
Wait what?

Marty Deutschmann

NRL Player

Unbelievable...
Sen si tive

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter

Upgrade to a Contributor Account to remove advertising