McGuire to play for Samoa

That sucks, I don't think it would massively affect his gameplay.. but it would be very annoying.

Would end your career if you were a back, tuck it under and run hard seems to work just fine for Josh.

McGuire had issues a long long time ago concerning his vision and it is a serious impediment. Judging the flight of the ball,at night is a difficult task with only one eye. Depth perception is severely affected although cataracts can generally be removed. I had some idea he had something along the lines of a detached retina at one stage although that may be wrong. I think he is a lion hearted toiler but I'm not the fan that so many others appear to be and doubt he will achieve any greater heights than he has. I'd be surprised if he is in the starting front row next year.

I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be in the starting side next year.

He is arguably the best prop we have..

Last edited:
It's amazing how good his handling is considering. I remember previous seasons he had the drop ball in his game (I think one resulted in a lost game on the bell, might've been this year?) but he seems to have gotten used to it, like he says in the story. It's such a shame that it could potentially end his career early and at the least has probably hampered him from him reaching his true potential. Our team seems to be cursed when it comes to having bad long-term/recurring injuries.

I think one resulted in a lost game on the bell, might've been this year?

yeah, very unfortunate error, it was about rnd 22/23/24 ? it was the first error he'd made all season too.

yeah, very unfortunate error, it was about rnd 22/23/24 ? it was the first error he'd made all season too.

Didn't he also drop the ball a few years ago when it was passed to him off the kickoff? Against the Warriors I think.

One eye or not, McGuire is the best Prop the Broncos have had since Webcke/Petero. Unlucky not to be playing for QLD the last 2 years, and he would've been had we lost a series or 2.

How sad that AP is right. McGuire is a good hard working forward who is only average. He'd make the top 25 list of props, probably around 23 rd to 25 th. Stating he's the best since Webcke and Civo makes me very sad.

How sad that AP is right. McGuire is a good hard working forward who is only average. He'd make the top 25 list of props, probably around 23 rd to 25 th. Stating he's the best since Webcke and Civo makes me very sad.

Is he not the best since them though? Who else has been better since Webcke and Civoniceva?

i think what Huge is saying is that he is the best since Webcke, and that is sad because McGuire is only average

McGuire had issues a long long time ago concerning his vision and it is a serious impediment. Judging the flight of the ball,at night is a difficult task with only one eye. Depth perception is severely affected although cataracts can generally be removed. I had some idea he had something along the lines of a detached retina at one stage although that may be wrong. I think he is a lion hearted toiler but I'm not the fan that so many others appear to be and doubt he will achieve any greater heights than he has. I'd be surprised if he is in the starting front row next year.

tumblr_inline_mg0hxsM6Xe1qzbl7f.gif

I think hes far better than you give him credit for.

He's not on James Graham or Matt Scotts level, no doubt about that, but he makes ~40 tackles a game, can play 80 minutes easily and effectively, and makes very good metres with the ball in hand. I'd put him in the top 10 realistically.

Just out of curiosity - who would you put above him out of the current props in the NRL? Could you list 10-15?

I think hes far better than you give him credit for.

He's not on James Graham or Matt Scotts level, no doubt about that, but he makes ~40 tackles a game, can play 80 minutes easily and effectively, and makes very good metres with the ball in hand. I'd put him in the top 10 realistically.

Just out of curiosity - who would you put above him out of the current props in the NRL? Could you list 10-15?

When he plays a bigger team he gets found out every time.

Can I name 10 - 15 better props? here's 11 without trying (in no particular order)

George Burgess
Tom Burgess
JWH
Moa
Scott
Tamou
Jesse Bromwich
Kenny Bromwich
Graham
Tolman
Fafita

These I disagree with

JWH
Moa
Kenny Bromwich

These are questionable IMO

Tamou
Tolman
Tamou did all of not much this year. Tolman is a hard worker, but not much else.

Comparing this years stats, McGuire made 400 more tackles than tamou in 4 more games, 90 more hitups, 80 more runs, 700 more running metres, and only missed 4 more tackles. Scored 1 more try too.

He made 300 more tackles than Tolman, 20 more hitups, 40 more runs, and 500 more metres.

Hell, stats wise he beats out the burgess brothers too quite easily. I would agree though, they are much more destructive and probably better players than him.

I still stand by my top 10 ranking. I'd put:

Burgess
Burgess
Scott
Bromwich
Graham
Fifita

above him, but not many others.

I think McGuire would be far better playing in a pack with bigger blokes.

Personally, I see him as a lock (long term).

He actually reminds me of Watmough (he is quite quick).

Soooo.... has anyone posted yet that he's named at #13 for Samoa?

Active Now

• Battler
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Xzei
  • Lurker
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Manofoneway
  • broncos4life
  • Harry Sack
  • cento
  • Browny
  • Yellowfella
  • Santa
  • Scorchie
  • Cavalo
  • Waynesaurus
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.