Michael Devere a true Legend of the game

Ok, so here's what the article said..

Had he not been required against the Dragons, de Vere said he would have not played in the Queensland Cup, nor is he likely to have a run for Easts any time soon.

"I'll keep myself fresh and fit and play NRL whenever I'm needed", he said

But he also said..

But Stevie Michaels and Antonio Winterstein are going really well. I'm just coming back for one more year to help out. Those guys are going well so it's about building for the future

I think guppy's right in saying that he'll only play when we supposedly need the experience. But we'd be much better served picking someone who plays in the Queensland Cup on a regular basis than someone who's past his prime and not even playing consistently.

If Devere is to play we need him game fit and by the sounds of it he won't be so IMO he shouldn't ever get a game. Just poor management by Henjak and the Broncos IMO.

I understand what he is saying and I respect that but I don't think he will have the match fitness for the NRL unless Henjak plans on having him in the side every game. I am sure Easts tigers would love to get Devere in there side to help them get a win.

Honestly it's wouldn't be that hard to find a QCUP spot on the wing or the in the centres..... we have that many affiliate teams these days its not funny.

Kev Stephensen 2009 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mick De Vere 2009

End of story.

The Rock said:
I get what De Vere wants to do. He doesn't want to play QLD Cup because obviously he doesn't want to take the spot of some young kid and he just wants to sit in the background and play when required IF there is no other better option.

I would have thought playing McGuire or Sims in the back row, where they normally play would be a better option than De Vere, an outisde back?

De Vere's selection starts to make some sense if what is reported in the Courier Mail is correct. They said that Hunt and Winterstein and some others in the team were fairly sick, so he was obviously there to cover them if they had to come off. Therefore, the mistake was not so much de Vere, but not replacing either gorrell or mccullough with a big impact forward like Sims.

Bingo. If they wanted backline insurance, then they had to give up their hooker insurance. You simply CAN'T play NRL footy with only 2 genuine forwards on the bench.

Pfft. Glenn can cover the backline as well as the back row. He should've been the backline insurance. He's probably a hell of a lot faster than Devere too.

Even in his prime, DeVere was nothing more than a "solid" player. Nothing flashy, but someone you could always count on to put in a consistent performance. Unfortuantely I feel he is going to tarnish that reputation if he gets too much game time this year, especially when used like he was on Friday night.

I'm not going to judge him purely on Friday nights performance though. That was a blight on Henjacks record - Not DeVeres

Nothing more than solid but he played origin? Fair enough

broncospwn said:

David Stagg played Origin. I wouldn't class him as any more than solid.
Dallas Johnson is a regular in Origin. I wouldn't class him as any more than solid.

Gary Larson.
Billy Moore.

OK, most of them are Queenslanders but I don't pay much attention to poofs in light blue (hence my disinterest in the Titans).....................

broncospwn said:

Players who are far less than solid have played origin, just go back and look at the blues team last year.

Hmmm I would hate to see what would happen here if we had an extended losing period, dogs sleeping with cats, players being cannabilised, coaching staff being offered up for ritual sacrifice lol

But you know the best thing, it's all on again next weekend, maybe we turn up and play crap again, maybe we play really well, michaels gets three tries, doesn't drop a ball or miss a tackle, winterstein does not drop a bomb. De Vere plays a blinder, oh the glorious uncertainty of it all. :)

fenomeno said:
broncospwn said:

Whats your point? Casey Mcguire played origin too.
The same guy who set up a try in the 06 grand final?

Active Now

• Bish
  • heartly87
  • Fozz
  • Manofoneway
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.