OFFICIAL Michael Maguire Appointed Head Coach

I've never owned a jersey in my life, I'm definitely a fake fan.

This thread is confusing. It seems like everyone is agreeing the club has broad issues, and one guy is mad that no one is acknowledging there are broad issues.

He follows the Titans. (he lost credibility on that alone)

His teams coach whistles though his nose lol. And his team kept Tanah Boyd over Toby Sexton.

On another note. Do you think Reyno stays captain? Or will Madge do a Siebold and change the captaincy?
I don’t know but I think the smart move is to leave Reyno as captain.
- avoids potentially getting one of our best players offside
- he probably retire end of next year anyway
- Patty will inevitably be captain once Reynos gone

Who actually cares about the old boys but the old boys ?

Do they have an influence on the outcome of matches ?
Well why keep giving them air time ?
EVERYONE. The old boys are what makes it a club. They are the legacy. They are who brought us to the club. They are who the current players want to emulate or better. You don't shit on the old boys like they're nothing. They're not in charge, but they are part of the tapestry.

On another note. Do you think Reyno stays captain? Or will Madge do a Siebold and change the captaincy?
You would think he will stay captain as its his last year even if Madge had reservations (which is doubtful).

Feel for the video person who got outed by Badel
Yeh thought that too. There was not much room for denying that as I expect there was only one person doing it. Still, it shows that Kev was either too busy doing other duties involved as head coach and was unable to get to that, or he was just too disorganised and missed some of the most important aspects of helping to improve his team's weekly growth.

Looking at his reactions to questions on camera, I tend to lean towards the latter.

EVERYONE. The old boys are what makes it a club. They are the legacy. They are who brought us to the club. They are who the current players want to emulate or better. You don't shit on the old boys like they're nothing. They're not in charge, but they are part of the tapestry.
BRAVO MCHUNT.

So, the guy who was 2 minutes away from a Clive Churchill Medal at the age of 20, and the best prop the NRL has seen for at least the last 25 years.. are your 2 examples of players who are being overpaid?

You genuinely don't think those guy could get equal, or more likely, even more on the open market?
MILF was 3 seconds away from a CCM and how’d that work out?

I definitely think there is an important place for the old boys in the club, provided they are supportive. Being dicks about everything helps no one.

I would disagree that many of the current crop of players are looking to emulate Broncos legends, though. I think if asked they'd name players like Thurston, Smith, Inglis, and Slater, and that speaks to part of our problem - it's a been more than a decade since we've had any truly notable, dominating players. But hopefully this generation will provide those superstars that inspire the kids we'll be watching in a decade's time.

Man I hope this club gets all the support around Maguire that he needs. There is nothing I want more than to celebrate a Premiership with my son.

Off to a better start already, THE CLUB has scheduled a press conference for 10am (AEST) at the team’s Red Hill headquarters.

Unconfirmed if shirts were also supplied.
Chicken sandwiches in abundance though?

So, the guy who was 2 minutes away from a Clive Churchill Medal at the age of 20, and the best prop the NRL has seen for at least the last 25 years.. are your 2 examples of players who are being overpaid?

You genuinely don't think those guy could get equal, or more likely, even more on the open market?
Unfortunately, and I know you'll dispute this, but Payne isn't the best prop in the game. He's brilliant at what he does, but what he does isn't what a great prop should do. He doesn't run hard, there's no intimidation, he doesn't offload, his play the balls are slow, he doesn't sting in defense, his goal line defense kinda sucks too. He's fit as **** and makes a lot of metres, but we don't need metres from him. We need a quick play the ball while he's got 3 or 4 blokes hanging off him instead of carrying them an extra two metres while the defensive line resets.

Unfortunately, and I know you'll dispute this, but Payne isn't the best prop in the game. He's brilliant at what he does, but what he does isn't what a great prop should do. He doesn't run hard, there's no intimidation, he doesn't offload, his play the balls are slow, he doesn't sting in defense, his goal line defense kinda sucks too. He's fit as **** and makes a lot of metres, but we don't need metres from him. We need a quick play the ball while he's got 3 or 4 blokes hanging off him instead of carrying them an extra two metres while the defensive line resets.
I don't know how you can say he makes alot of meters but doesn't run hard. They kinda go hand in hand don't they?

Wouldn't being in your area of expertise- medical people together and reviewing your year and what worked and didn't work and why and what can be done differently/better- work better than a survey on your phone as you run out the door to holidays?
Can still do that, would probably be even more valuable after they get the survey results.

I don't know how you can say he makes alot of meters but doesn't run hard. They kinda go hand in hand don't they?
Not at all, he has good leg strength post contact. But he isn't explosive or intimidating at all. He doesn't break many tackles and just keeps moving forward whilst the defensive line resets knowing he's not going to offload the ball.

If you want the truth it has to be anonymous otherwise you are not gonna get honesty. If people know the boss is gonna read your criticism they will not speak their minds .
Seems pretty fcking obvious ,no ?
Agree. However, if you are going to use it as evidence to substantiate a subsequent action you have to verify the information received via follow up enquiries or actions. Maybe this was done. I don't know.

Also a leaked report that he criticised staff for the feedback provided. Either staff scapegoated him and he was right to feel betrayed or the criticism was fair or he was unable to take on genuine feedback. Either way if he reacted the way it is alleged I would make the decision to move him on right there and then. You need your head coach to handle that better. Despite his gametime outbursts I don't think Bellamy would respond that way in the moment. Once again, I say that not knowing if that actually occurred. In any case, its a dick move by the club to release it if it did though. Only hurts the fans.

My view on Kevvie is that he left the club in a much better place than when he arrived regardless of the fadeaway this year. I think there are some flaws to his coaching like others but overall he improved the club from our worst ever position to a title contender for future years. For this I think he deserves credit. No coach (with the exception of maybe only Bennett or Bellamy) was taking the Broncos in the first two years with the squad problems he had to finals football, while setting us up for the future like I think we have done. Maybe it was the right time to move him on, I don't know, but I think his results he achieved are much better than the narrow view of one finals appearance in 4 years.

I think this year's result was caused mainly by injuries, and was made worse by players not performing at their best or being resilient enough to cope. We also had no depth, which I think we decided to accept for this year as to not compromise future years. Roosters have had similar years for similar reasons and a similar approach. Unfortunately, these things all came together at once.

Our roster also experienced growing pains, particularly from players who are a few seasons into first grade. Players have to adjust and develop once teams work them out a bit and this is harder than when first coming into grade and doing the things that come naturally. I remember similar criticisms of Langer in 1991, Slater, certainly Hodges, and almost all other great players bar a select few like Cameron Smith.

Players like Walsh, Mam, Piakura, Riki they are too young to be experienced seasoned first graders every week. However, if we keep them together long enough then it sets us up into the future. I expect all of them to get there eventually. Look at Storm and Howarth. They paid him similar dollars to Piakura and have had similar limited short term payoff but I think he will eventually be a key storm player due to their patience. However, like Nico and others if he wants too much they will let him go. The difference is Melbourne can better play this game due to the structures and consistency they have in place. We need to fix things like structures in attack and defense, which we papered over last year with talent. We have for a long time. Maybe they think Maguire will bring this to the club and to be honest this was not Kevvie's strength.

I know the Baker, Hunt and Gosiewski signings look ordinary but they were clearly done to not compromise our cap position, and I think they are more a sign of the quality available at the dollars we could spend. Losing Capewell, Flegler and Farnworth hurt us badly this year but it probably facilitated us keeping Walsh, Mam and Carrigan. People say we should have secured Hosking and others but they were not coming for the dollars and opportunity we could offer, and they would undo the benefit to the cap in letting Capewell go. It was a bad year for us to get the injuries we did and in the end we lost the gamble for this year. However, long term I think it will pay off and Maguire will benefit from it. Hopefully if we are smart we are paying some players out of this year's cap to assist future years. For example, I suspect Walsh got extra money this year and didn't take unders overall but for our cap in future years it will work out that way.

I think despite some roster issues on the periphery we have massively improved our cap managment and have a solid group of elite players to build around. We made tough decisions to facilitate what I think is a good future state we will have, particularly with a quality spine moving forward.

It ended up he was never more than 5 minutes away from a Maccas.
well yes... but his confidence got shot, just like Ezra's did this year and he fell to bits, like Ezra did this year is more my meaning.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Pablo
  • Justwin
  • Bucking Beads
  • johnny plath
  • LGH
  • Hoshsie
  • eggstar10
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bert_lifts
  • azza.79
  • Broncosgirl
  • Hammerman47
  • ezpz
  • BroncosAlways
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • HarryAllan7
  • Dash
  • Matheos
  • Tmac
... and 23 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.