"Milf will be like Locky" - Bennett

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
If you consider a blatantly wrong refereeing decision as barba losing it then I guess barba helped lose the game.

Wait on....people are now blaming barba for the team losing from 20 points in front against the sharks? Lolololololololololololololololol

he dropped the fucking ball and let sezer score under the posts. he literally cost us the game. no one else but ben barba

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
He was tackled in the air iirc? Or it was raked in a 2 man tackle or something like that. Either way it was a penalty, incorrect ref decision.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Re: Anthony Milford, 1 or 6

Can someone explain their reasons why Milford's skillset is more suited to the halves than fullback?

Or is it just being desperate for another "Lockyer"?

This.

My memories of Milford's brilliance were from watching him play FB, and I will confess to salivating at the prospect of him playing FB for us, especially since FB last year was a problem for us as was 5/8. Then, I discovered he was selected as our next 5/8 which at the time ... and still now, mystifies me.

Then comes the comparison to Lockyer, and I am in complete agreement here with what Alec says, notwithstanding the fact I want another Lockyer ASAP. The fact is, Milford is no Lockyer, and for mine, to label his as the next Lockyer is unreasonable, at this stage unrealistic and also unfair on Milford.

It certainly makes for a great topic for debate and discussion sure, but my point is that I am getting a little impatient waiting for this side to cement it's key spine players so after how many seasons? we can start playing quality footie and the loyal fans on this forum can smile more than cry.

Morkel's (and other's) point about waiting until Milford and a bunch of others settle down and settle in is fair enough, but I for one would have enjoyed watching Milford add to this side his brilliance from the back, however many bombs he dropped in the past.

In any case, the die is cast, Milford is at 5/8, Boyd is the FB we had to have, and the bottom line is we will all have to wait like it or not, and laugh or cry as we do. I just hope there will be more smiles than tears sooner than later.

B

benbarba

U18 Player
Sep 24, 2013
We also have Andrew johns and Darren Lockyer in the fullback camp btw

Lockyer clearly is NOT in the fullback camp - http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/anthony-milford-reverting-to-fullback-is-a-half-baked-idea-writes-darren-lockyer/story-fnp0lyn6-1227251927188

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Milford at fullback will get the best out of his abilities. Just a shame we won't see it. Milford will still be good but he won't be as good as he could have been.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Re: Anthony Milford, 1 or 6

Can someone explain their reasons why Milford's skillset is more suited to the halves than fullback?

Or is it just being desperate for another "Lockyer"?

I answered this before the other thread was merged .......
[MENTION=1847]rnabokov[/MENTION]

A good solid defensive fullback seems to be massively under rated now days. It's seems a lot of league fans will forgive any basic fullback defensive error in favour of attack. In some positions you can get away with it ....fullback is the last line of defence. Opposition kicking games are the main focal point in their attacking repertoire. A rock solid fullback in defence can win you just as many games as a fleet footed attacking whiz can. Milford is Ben Barba like in his fullback defensive errors .....

Watch a lot of Milford's highlight packages.......they are filled only with his attacking prowess.
Speaking of which....is fantastic.
Not only for his foot speed but for his instincts and insight as to where to be and when to be there. I don't consider him as being the next Locky, but I certainly believe he will be Brisbane's / QLD's next marquee / legendary player.

Watching a lot of Milford's video. Over 50% of the replays show Milford in traffic...under pressure and coming up with the right option. Tired forwards around the middle of the ruck are to Anthony Milford like baby fur seals are to heavy wooden clubs. Easy prey ......

Yes we have seen some amazing things from Milford playing fullback....if you can really call it him playing FB. He's been sent out to play as he feels.....wherever he feels.

Everyone seems to be hung up on a ball playing 5/8. Anthony Milford can ball play. Again you watch his high lights and he throws some beautiful passes to his team mates in space. But what else Milfrod will add from 2nd receiver is the danger to opposition teams that he will run the ball as well...and when he does, watch the **** out.

It's ridiculous when you think about it how much publicity this has got. I've said it before and I'll say it again....it's RD1 for ***** sake!

I'll give Milford a season or two before ruling a line through his name never to play 5/8 again....ala Josh Hoffman.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
I was always kind of expecting Benny to play Boyd in the 6 and Milford @ 1 tbh. Don't get me wrong, I think the plan was always to give Milf first crack and see what he could do, but if he couldn't quite cut it, Darius would be slotted in there. I daresay we'll never know now.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Who the **** cares! This whole 'these commentators agree with me so I'm right' garbage is monotonous. Whatever the scenario you can find a commentator or public figure to agree with your POV, doesn't make it right or wrong.

Some idiot could announce we should have live sex shows and animal sacrifice at half time and you could get someone to agree with it.

Last edited:
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
It's a real leap of faith.

I'm not expert on the Raiders and sure didn't take many notes on them these past few years but one thing I've noticed is that they've got a knack of developing players into 'good' NRL players but rarely anything beyond that.

In a sense, it's very similar to our crop in 2012. Remember how many commentators predicted the Broncos were in for bigger and better things with the likes of Hoffman, Glenn, McCullough, Beale etc?

Same deal, same type of players.

I honestly can't recall a moment that made me think Milford was a great playmaker but how much of an opportunity did he have to succeed? The Raiders haven't had the best track record in recent years of developing good play-makers, the last decent pairing they had was Josh McCrone & Sam Williams and they produced what? A couple good months of form? If that and it wasn't like their play was that magnificent. In fact for so long it seemed like the Raiders had a similar gameplan to us which is kick it out-wide and hope for the best. They were never really in a position to ply their trade and develop as ball-players or anything of the like and it just brings me back to something Gus said. I remember when Michael Jennings had just made his debut, Gus was lamenting about how Jennings could be one of the best centres of all-time if he was at a club like Brisbane's but since he's at Penrith, who were struggling, he may never reach his potential. It really stuck to me, because Jennings is still a good talent but he's right, to this day, Michael still has these plays in him that would have been rubbed out if he was coached by a Bellamy, Maguire or Cleary.

I hope it's not too late for Bennett.

In a sense, I get the feeling that Milford's move to fullback was nothing more than a bandaid solution for Dugan's departure. A move that worked for a team that was desperate in the short-term but wasn't looking long-term and why should they? Milford's departure derailed their season in 2013 and turned 2014 into a total non-event for them. In that environment, how was Milford ever going to develop as a playmaker? Especially under the tutelage of Ricky Stuart who has how many great halves developed under him in the NRL?

Milford's move to the six is a big call and it's defined our season, I'm glad people feel strongly both ways. Personally, I'm willing to take a leap of faith and back Anthony as a 6. If it doesn't work out, so be it, but I'm not adversed based on two seasons where the Raiders were on the road to nowhere.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Who the **** cares! This whole 'these commentators agree with me so I'm right' garbage is monotonous. Whatever the scenario you can find a commentator or public figure to agree with your POV, doesn't make it right or wrong.

Some idiot could announce we should have live sex shows and animal sacrifice at half time and you could get someone to agree with it.

That's a way better idea than Guy Sebastian. How awkward was having the preshow entertainment at half time the other night?

BroncosAlways

BroncosAlways

NRL Captain
Contributor
Jun 20, 2013
Benji Marshall was vigorously defending Milf at 6 and putting it to Kent that he's being judged on one game, and the fact milf grew up as a 5/8 and only moved to fullback at raiders. Spot on IMO

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
That's a way better idea than Guy Sebastian. How awkward was having the preshow entertainment at half time the other night?

True, but if he wanted to bang Delta on stage at half time he could sing whatever the **** he wants

Unread

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.