"Milf will be like Locky" - Bennett

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Matty johns and co discussed this topic on his show, all in agreeance that hes a fullback and shouldn't be shoehorned into 5/8th just because we don't have one.

We also have Andrew johns and Darren Lockyer in the fullback camp btw.

MJohns, Gould, Lockyer & AJohns also rate Wayne Bennett as the greatest RL coach of all time.

Awkward....

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Hey guys.

First timer here be gentle haha.

So my 2 cents on the milford situation.

We have seen a total of 80 minutes of milford playing @ 6 - against a team who monstered out pack so we had 0 momentum.

He is a freak fullback but I believe long term he is definetly a 5/8.

Everyone has been criticising him but i think it's too early to tell - we need a sample size of a good 20 games to prove he isn't mature enough. Don't throw him back @ FB because of 1 bad performance on the back of dominated forwards (although he should have set up the try). He has the skillset to come good. Very very good

Thoughtsss?

I think you should stick around.

Completely agree with what you have said

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Matty johns and co discussed this topic on his show, all in agreeance that hes a fullback and shouldn't be shoehorned into 5/8th just because we don't have one.

Matty also had a good old laugh when tallis said the broncos weren't that bad, something along the lines of "haha oh yeh just like Newcastle weren't that bad for the last 3 years" lol.

For those firmly in the Milford at 6 camp, how long does he get before he should be dropped? Barba got less than a season before you all hung him out to dry, same with Hoffman. I expect the same attitude for Milford?

The Barba situation is way different, and Hoffman's one is in another universe. The similarities end in that they were all 5/8s in their younger days and switched to fullback for first grade. Hoffman has been a fullback slash outside back for 5+ years at NRL level. Everyone agrees unanimously that he is not cut out for a playmaking role, and many believe he doesn't even have the skills to cut it as a link player. As for Barba, I don't know if you're arguing whether he didn't get enough time at fullback or 5/8, but they both are irrelevant. As a fullback, he came here in the position in which he made his name, won a Dally-M, and had already cemented. For whatever reasons, he stunk it up. He didn't have the luxury of "it's a new role for him, give it time". As for 5/8, he was put there because he was costing us games in defence and Hoffman was costing us games in attack. It was never intended to be a long term switch because Milford was coming here to do that role. Compare that to Milford - handful of thrown-in-the-deep-end games for Canberra last year, and what, two trial games in his first grade 5/8 career? And now, one game in his new team with a new coach and a new style, and a team that the coach admits is still experimental and nothing close to settled, and it's time to give up already? Please.

It is quite clear that the Broncos will likely sacrifice the first half of 2015 to benchmark the players and give Bennett a clearer picture of who makes the cut. I expect a core side of maybe 10-12 players cemented just after Origin, with the chosen players starting to develop proper combinations, Milford included, while others get taps on the shoulder and new signings get announced. If he's still struggling by the end of the year, and it seems to be the combinations with fellow core Broncos players, that's when we can start to be skeptical. But if our team as a whole is sucking profusely, especially in the forward pack, Milford isn't going to be able to do much anyway, so throwing the baby out with the bathwater would be a very foolish move. If fans can't accept a path of development based on long term success, and aren't willing to sit by as we make sacrifices in the short term, maybe they should find a new sport to armchair speculate about until next year?

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013

Matty also had a good old laugh when tallis said the broncos weren't that bad, something along the lines of "haha oh yeh just like Newcastle weren't that bad for the last 3 years" lol.

For those firmly in the Milford at 6 camp, how long does he get before he should be dropped? Barba got less than a season before you all hung him out to dry, same with Hoffman. I expect the same attitude for Milford?
Is that you Matty?

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
He was dropped from fullback because he was a liability under the high ball.

Thats speculation unless you can provide a source. My opinion is that he was moved because Hoffman was stinking up the place at 5/8th, so having them switch was better for the team as Hoffman is a better fullback than 5/8th and barba wasn't setting the world alight from fullback. Better to have two average positions than one average and one terrible.

Last edited:
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
On the phone but as the story goes, Barba went to Hook about making the switch after his disappointing performance against Penrith.

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
Thats speculation unless you can provide a source. My opinion is that he was moved because Hoffman was stinking up the place at 5/8th, so having them switch was better for the team as Hoffman is a better fullback than 5/8th and barba wasn't setting the world alight from fullback. Better to have to average positions than one average and one terrible.

This is exactly how it was, Barba's bomb drop count is being exaggerated a bit here but the power Hoffman had of being mega shit is being down played.

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
On the phone but as the story goes, Barba went to Hook about making the switch after his disappointing performance against Penrith.

If only Lolman went to Hook about a positional change to the wing after every single disappointing game he played at 5/8.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Nahhh ......Barba had lost all confidence in catching bombs. He was purposely getting himself in a position where he couldn't get to the ball.

he was a shot duck.......and he knew it.

Old Mate

Old Mate

NRL Player
Jul 5, 2008
Hoffman lost all confidence in letting the ball leave his hands, purposely putting himself in the position to look like a ball hogging fuckwit without a clue in attack.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Thats speculation unless you can provide a source. My opinion is that he was moved because Hoffman was stinking up the place at 5/8th, so having them switch was better for the team as Hoffman is a better fullback than 5/8th and barba wasn't setting the world alight from fullback. Better to have two average positions than one average and one terrible.

This is exactly how it was, Barba's bomb drop count is being exaggerated a bit here but the power Hoffman had of being mega shit is being down played.

Barba was very ordinary under the high ball, in fact there were a lot of people here (myself included) saying that he was the prime reason we lost the unlosable game against the Sharks. And contributed greatly to other games where we cracked under the pressure of repeat sets with his inability to diffuse bombs.

Regardless, It is my opinion that Barba was moved from fullback because of his frailties under the high ball. You can disagree with the point about him losing games, that's fine, but I clearly said earlier that it was a combination of his form at fullback and Hoffman's at five-eighth that resulted in them both having their opportunities in those positions cut short. The point still stands that Barba was not moved to 5/8 as a permanent switch, so him being given limited games there is not comparable to the time that Milford should be given in the position.

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014
Barba was very ordinary under the high ball, in fact there were a lot of people here (myself included) saying that he was the prime reason we lost the unlosable game against the Sharks. And contributed greatly to other games where we cracked under the pressure of repeat sets with his inability to diffuse bombs.

Regardless, It is my opinion that Barba was moved from fullback because of his frailties under the high ball. You can disagree with the point about him losing games, that's fine, but I clearly said earlier that it was a combination of his form at fullback and Hoffman's at five-eighth that resulted in them both having their opportunities in those positions cut short. The point still stands that Barba was not moved to 5/8 as a permanent switch, so him being given limited games there is not comparable to the time that Milford should be given in the position.

barba lost us the titans game to

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
barba lost us the titans game to

If you consider a blatantly wrong refereeing decision as barba losing it then I guess barba helped lose the game.

Wait on....people are now blaming barba for the team losing from 20 points in front against the sharks? Lolololololololololololololololol

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• ChewThePhatt
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.