"Milf will be like Locky" - Bennett

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
http://www.rugbyleagueprofiler.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=16907%3Amilford-will-be-like-lockyer-bennett&catid=35%3Alatest-news&Itemid=90

WAYNE Bennett says Anthony Milford will make a Darren Lockyer-like transition to five-eighth and has warned Souths’ monster pack to target the Broncos whiz-kid at their peril at Suncorp Stadium.

Bennett’s backing of Milford came as champion pivot Lockyer was called in to help the 20-year-old prepare for the biggest test of his embryonic career against the defending premiers.
Milford makes his much-vaunted debut for the Broncos on Thursday in the NRL season-opener, less than a decade after the footballing freak from Inala first cultivated a dream to represent the Wallabies.
2_991823-e4605b1e-c225-11e4-83e4-6c2c60814a51.jpg

Wayne Bennett says Anthony Milford can be the next Darren Lockyer. Pic Annette Dew Source: News Corp Australia

It was vision of Lockyer in his pomp that convinced Milford to defect to rugby league _ and now the big-name recruit is earmarked as the man to solve Brisbane’s headaches in the decorated No. 6 jumper.
Bennett was the coach who orchestrated Lockyer’s switch from fullback to five-eighth in 2004. Two years later, Lockyer steered Brisbane to their most recent title and Bennett, officially launching his Red Hill return, says Milford will not be fazed by expectation or a Souths barrage.

I said god damn. If you are Milford, that is some mighty fine yet terrifying praise.

Let's hope Waynes judgement was as good as when he plonked Lockyer into the 5/8 role all those years ago.

I too think milf can be a great, he just needs time to find his feet.

People said the same about Norman. Think we should see him play for the team in a competition match before anyone, Bennett included starts dumping pressure like this on the kid.

People said the same about Norman. Think we should see him play for the team in a competition match before anyone, Bennett included starts dumping pressure like this on the kid.

I remember the commentators saying "Karmichael who?" in Norman's debut game and how he was the next big thing and Broncos got him for a bargain price.. Now look at him.

If I hear Corey Norman mentioned on here again I'm probably going to end myself, can we actually make his name a bannable offence.

CM knows how to write some good click bait.

Lockyer played like the Broncos, QLD and Australian 5/8th for years before he was put there though. He also had years of first grade under his belt. That is the difference between the 2.

There was literally no reason to rush Milford to 5/8th yet. I want to see him kill it, but damn I think he would've gone down as one of the all time great fullbacks had he stayed there. I think the Milford we get now will be a different one than the one we looked like getting, for better or worse.

Last edited:
Badel and co at the Courier Mail literally must cringe everytime they dribble out the same old tired platitudes about the Broncos.

New 5/8? Comparison to Lockyer article.

I remember the commentators saying "Karmichael who?" in Norman's debut game and how he was the next big thing and Broncos got him for a bargain price.. Now look at him.

It's not even a comparison though. Milf has performed for two seasons, and is widely considered a freak.

Wayne better tell Milf if he wants to become Lockyer, he might want to actually do something

And again - Lockyer played like a half from fullback right from day 1. Milford plays like a fullback with a bit of playmaking skills, but his main skills are in his running game and being able to pop up where and when he wants.

I think by year end some of us are going to be hoping he leaves us to play fullback somewhere else, or we could see one of the biggest wastes of a player in recent history.

Eventually Milford will start to make a fist of it at five-eight, so I suppose one day you'll be able to come in here and say, see! Milford can play five-eight. But however long it takes for Milford to be as good a five-eight, that's still he could have spent becoming an even more awesome fullback.

Well good for you.

You've come up with a way that no matter how well Milford plays, no matter what he achieves, you can hold onto that little nugget and no one can say anything about it.

You'll get to bask in all that.

But boy, better watch out if it doesn't pan out...won't hear the end of it.

Active Now

• jarro65
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Johnny92
  • eggstar10
  • Foordy
  • heartly87
  • Swordfish
  • davidp
  • TimWhatley
  • GCBRONCO
  • Broncorob
  • kman
  • broncoscope
  • FACTHUNT
  • Wolfie
  • Maddy
  • Big Del
  • Sproj
  • Manofoneway
  • MrTickyMcG
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.