"Milf will be like Locky" - Bennett

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Milford played for Canberra. Canberra were shit. Milford still carved up teams every week and looked like a superstar.

You cant then turn around and blame the rest of the team for him not having an impact. He had a huge impact on every game in a far worse team the last 2 years.

He's being played out of position, that's all there is to it.

Mosyzlak

Mosyzlak

QCup Player
Dec 14, 2013
Milford played for Canberra. Canberra were shit. Milford still carved up teams every week and looked like a superstar.

You cant then turn around and blame the rest of the team for him not having an impact. He had a huge impact on every game in a far worse team the last 2 years.

Every week "He had a huge impact on every game"? If someone can point me to a stats site that I can quote I wont be surprised if his stats were shit against Souths last year too.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
My point is simple. Milford is a FB. That is his best position. He may well have play making skills and may well turn out to be a quality 5/8. I saw no evidence of that last night. In any case, as others have observed, his best games in his career have been from FB and for mine, that is where we need him most.

I base my belief on my view that he reminds me of a young Lockyer and for me the comparison stands. Whether Lockyer had a half back's skills is irrelevant. He played at the back and that is what matters. He matured as a FB before moving up. His running game reminds me of Milf and vice versa.

If he comes good as a 5/8 this year, excellent. I just hope it doesn't take all season, and I just hope his brilliant running game, which, like Lockyer, is his strength while he is young, isn't wasted while we wait for him to mature and this team stays stuck like it has for the last 4 years without a decent halves pairing.

I'd rather Milford at the back until Boyd returns if Bennett is stuck on Boyd and Milford in the positions he has selected for them.

I'm getting tired of watching the Broncos run around aimlessly without a decent halves pairing AND while we have one of the best FB's in Milford playing half as well as he could up front when we could have him playing brilliantly at the back while we blood a young genuine half as we wait for Boyd to return.

Yes, it is Round 1. So let's hope in Round 2 Milford kills at 5/8 or we are in for yet another season like the last 3.

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
Every week "He had a huge impact on every game"? If someone can point me to a stats site that I can quote I wont be surprised if his stats were **** against Souths last year too.

Last year Canberra played souths twice.

1st time Milford scored a try, got a try assist, made a line break, made a line break assist, forced a dropout, and made 14 hitups.

2nd time he scored a try, got a line break assist, made 10 hitups, and forced a dropout.

Last night he made 2 hitups and missed 5 tackles.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
If he comes good as a 5/8 this year, excellent. I just hope it doesn't take all season

It may very well take all season, but it's going to be worth it in the long run, whether it's in the finals this year or next season, he's going to realise at some point that Five-Eighth plays a very similar role to Fullback in attack, with some added defensive and play making responsibilities intertwined.

Once Milford finds his groove, Hunt gets accustomed to playing with his first Five-Eighth who he literally doesn't have to avoid giving the ball to on the 4th/5th tackle, and Boyd gets healthy, we'll be in a good position, it may not be immediately noticeable this season, but it's going to click at one point or another, and we're going to crush.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

Forwards are about he only thing decent Canberra have so he had a great platform. He tore lower teams apart not the remaining premiers ffs. Get some perspective

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
My point is simple. Milford is a FB. That is his best position. He may well have play making skills and may well turn out to be a quality 5/8. I saw no evidence of that last night. In any case, as others have observed, his best games in his career have been from FB and for mine, that is where we need him most.

I base my belief on my view that he reminds me of a young Lockyer and for me the comparison stands. Whether Lockyer had a half back's skills is irrelevant. He played at the back and that is what matters. He matured as a FB before moving up. His running game reminds me of Milf and vice versa.

If he comes good as a 5/8 this year, excellent. I just hope it doesn't take all season, and I just hope his brilliant running game, which, like Lockyer, is his strength while he is young, isn't wasted while we wait for him to mature and this team stays stuck like it has for the last 4 years without a decent halves pairing.

I'd rather Milford at the back until Boyd returns if Bennett is stuck on Boyd and Milford in the positions he has selected for them.

I'm getting tired of watching the Broncos run around aimlessly without a decent halves pairing AND while we have one of the best FB's in Milford playing half as well as he could up front when we could have him playing brilliantly at the back while we blood a young genuine half as we wait for Boyd to return.

Yes, it is Round 1. So let's hope in Round 2 Milford kills at 5/8 or we are in for yet another season like the last 3.

People keep saying this and that's great, but who plays 5/8? Or do we see if we can get hoffy back to reprise his role

FaithinHook

FaithinHook

NRL Player
Jun 4, 2013
Milf looks like a lost schoolboy player last nite at 5/8.

I'm just gona say what many others are probably thinking - we should never have left Barba leave. I know he was no world beater last year, but I feel he was in a better position, with more game experience, to handle the 5/8 duties.

Imagine him playing that role under WBs tutelage and the Milf at fullback. Man that would be potentially a great combination to watch. At the moment, Milf is looking over rated and I fear the sharks/Barba are gona tear us a new one.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Every week "He had a huge impact on every game"? If someone can point me to a stats site that I can quote I wont be surprised if his stats were **** against Souths last year too.

108 tackle breaks- 4th most in the comp.

44 more than any Bronco last year.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Milford will be fine. He did look overawed by the whole occasion.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
It may very well take all season, but it's going to be worth it in the long run, whether it's in the finals this year or next season, he's going to realise at some point that Five-Eighth plays a very similar role to Fullback in attack, with some added defensive and play making responsibilities intertwined.

Show me one 5/8th that plays like a fullback. The reality is that 5/8ths play like another halfback, and fullbacks are closer to 5/8ths

P

papabear

NYC Player
Nov 1, 2013
he looked fat and disinterested as a Canberra fan it was pleasurable to watch.

I also wouldn't say we have been a far worse team then the broncos and the forwards are the only good thing we have.

Some of our backs over the past few years have kept us in matches, milf, croker, ferguson etc we have had woeful halves but that's about to change this year.

Goodluck with wayne super coach bennett. His game plans seem to be getting even more boring and limp as each year goes on.

For the record I think ben hunt is a good enough half to carry and organise a livewire non organising x factor type half that milf could be. I don't think he is good enough to overcome an
- overweight half,
- a boring coach,
- a crappy fullback who will be followed by a downhill skier fullback
- a forward pack that as a whole will suffer from one out coaching and a lack of angles or pack plays to help them roll forward.

Tbh, I hope Canberra save the 1 mill they tried to dump on milford and throw it at ben hunt, be a bit less pressure on him, give him a bit of room to grow, create and improve even further. If not, it will put more pressure on the Brisbane TPP to top that contract up a bit. Although we all know that the pipe can take a lot of "pressure".

Last edited:
P

papabear

NYC Player
Nov 1, 2013
Forwards are about he only thing decent Canberra have so he had a great platform. He tore lower teams apart not the remaining premiers ffs. Get some perspective

Our best forward papalii was on virtually holiday mode all last year. Fensom was injured for a decent chunk of it, and we had the slowest lumbering muppets in shillo and Tilse. He did not have a great platform he was just receiving the ball in a bit more space due to popping in from fullback instead of left first receiver and he weighed about 10kgs less so he was much quicker.

Its odd, now that hes not homesick he seems so happy, why so many doughnuts then?

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Show me one 5/8th that plays like a fullback.

Challenge Accepted

brisbane-josh-hoffman.jpeg

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Going to need a bigger mop to clean up the amount of shit that just poured into this thread.

Fat? Are you kidding? Go and watch the game again. The issue he had last night come down to three things.

1. He's not a 5/8th yet
2. He's got no idea how the players around him play yet
3. He was locked on one side of the field, and not given enough opportunity to play the ball with his halfback

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Yeah I thought Milford looked a bit leaner in comparison to the WCC weekend, he looked pretty nippy on a couple of occasions, I don't think his weight is the issue here at all.

Pretty much what Nashy said, I'd love to see him just get a completely free reign and just follow the play around chiming in wherever he wants.

Active Now

• matthewransom34@ic
  • Harry Sack
  • Allo
  • Foordy
  • The True King
  • phoenix
  • Johnny92
  • Sproj
  • Justwin
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.