"Milf will be like Locky" - Bennett

Re: Round 8 - Broncos vs Eels

My take is that Anthony Milford as a Bronco, let alone as a five eighth is a work in progress.

Last night's performance was disappointing, but I'm not prepared to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Sure, he made 4 errors and I'd say two of those were inexcusable including the one that eventually lead to the Matt Cooper try but a lot of people are prepared to dismiss the positives as well. For starters, Anthony's short distance kicking game is one of the silkiest I've seen from a Broncos half in quite sometime and it forced 3 goal line drop outs last night which as you may know is like gold. Of course the Broncos didn't get the luxury of one of them as Dugan's drop punt had one of the luckiest bounces I've seen in a game of Rugby League but it was just one of those nights.

The other positive that I barely see mentioned is his passing before the line. Some of those passes he was throwing to Glenn and Reed were so smooth that I had no idea he had released the ball until his receivers would die with it.

Those are the type of plays that can be worked on.

What needs to be addressed is his role in the team. Perhaps one of the most frustrating plays in the game was watching Milford receive the ball on tackle two in the fifth minute with the intention of him hitting it up one off the ruck. Seriously, what a dumb play. I know that Milford is a very handy runner of the football but that sort of play shouldn't be attempted until late in the half and even then, it should be off a quick play the ball.

That play really exemplified where the Broncos have got it wrong with Milford. Yes, he should be running the ball, but it should be off other players, otherwise he should be putting the defence into two minds by ball-playing which he can do.

I agree that playing him at fullback wouldn't have made much of a difference if at all. Some of those mistakes, particularly the one that lead up to the Mike Cooper mistake weren't mistakes that were caused by playing as a five eighth. In fact, it was a second man play which is basically a fullback play in the modern game.

I'm prepared to give him the rest of the season to ply his trade at five eighth. I don't think it should be ended so quickly for a variety of reasons and I honestly believe we're yet to see the best of Anthony in that position.

One of the biggest hurdles Milford has to climb is that he has to live up to a highlights reel. Maybe I'm wrong but the way people go off about him, I swear all they've seen is videos like these...

and it's very selective. Some fans are holding him to an unrealistic standard and then using it to argue that the move was a mistake and going further with it.

To be honest, I've got no time for people when they act that way so I've stayed silent.

I'll end on this.

Is Milford the best five eighth at the club right now?

Yes.

Are our fullback stocks better than our five eighth stocks?

Yes.

There's your answer.

Totally disagree. Playing him at 5/8 was a mistake.

All the brilliance can be done as a FB, same as Slater, Moylan, Inglis. Milford is not ready, and won't be for a few seasons, as a 5/8. That he has been selected there, and all the ongoing justifications are excuses and wishful thinking. He is too immature for 5/8.

As Alec posted, not in these words, he is at his best as a 2nd 5/8 from the back - running rampant and play making with time and room and in his comfort zone until he gains confidence and experience, which will be helped enormously by his running game yielding results - again, like Slater, Moylan, Inglis.

I'd rather see Milf strutting his stuff as a play making FB and say Ash Taylor or Hunt playing 5/8.

Yes, it won't happen, and yes, this debate is stale, and yes, he will always be stuck at 5/8 and we will just have to wait and listen to all the justifications and excuses as we hope for miracles.

Milford is our 5/8. However, I don't have to like it or agree with the selection. It is just wrong wrong wrong

Last edited by a moderator:

All the positives about Milford's game just stand out more at fullback. Support play, more running, more space... still passing, but just finishing instead of being hopelessly lost overthinking everything trying to create and organise. It's true we have too many fullbacks and not enough halves, but it doesn't change the fact that a player of his talent and skillset is being wasted in the halves.

I agree with this but Hunt is outplaying milford in the halves with his running game so we should move Hunt to fullback because he will be the best by far on this logic, I think the issue is Milford and the left side. Milford going to the line and not taking 2 or 3 players with him and getting monster by the defence. We should get the left to play more set plays where he can relax and when instinct kicks in run.

My take is that Anthony Milford as a Bronco, let alone as a five eighth is a work in progress.

Last night's performance was disappointing, but I'm not prepared to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Sure, he made 4 errors and I'd say two of those were inexcusable including the one that eventually lead to the Matt Cooper try but a lot of people are prepared to dismiss the positives as well. For starters, Anthony's short distance kicking game is one of the silkiest I've seen from a Broncos half in quite sometime and it forced 3 goal line drop outs last night which as you may know is like gold. Of course the Broncos didn't get the luxury of one of them as Dugan's drop punt had one of the luckiest bounces I've seen in a game of Rugby League but it was just one of those nights.

The other positive that I barely see mentioned is his passing before the line. Some of those passes he was throwing to Glenn and Reed were so smooth that I had no idea he had released the ball until his receivers would die with it.

Those are the type of plays that can be worked on.

What needs to be addressed is his role in the team. Perhaps one of the most frustrating plays in the game was watching Milford receive the ball on tackle two in the fifth minute with the intention of him hitting it up one off the ruck. Seriously, what a dumb play. I know that Milford is a very handy runner of the football but that sort of play shouldn't be attempted until late in the half and even then, it should be off a quick play the ball.

That play really exemplified where the Broncos have got it wrong with Milford. Yes, he should be running the ball, but it should be off other players, otherwise he should be putting the defence into two minds by ball-playing which he can do.

I agree that playing him at fullback wouldn't have made much of a difference if at all. Some of those mistakes, particularly the one that lead up to the Mike Cooper mistake weren't mistakes that were caused by playing as a five eighth. In fact, it was a second man play which is basically a fullback play in the modern game.

I'm prepared to give him the rest of the season to ply his trade at five eighth. I don't think it should be ended so quickly for a variety of reasons and I honestly believe we're yet to see the best of Anthony in that position.

One of the biggest hurdles Milford has to climb is that he has to live up to a highlights reel. Maybe I'm wrong but the way people go off about him, I swear all they've seen is videos like these...

and it's very selective. Some fans are holding him to an unrealistic standard and then using it to argue that the move was a mistake and going further with it.

To be honest, I've got no time for people when they act that way so I've stayed silent.

I'll end on this.

Is Milford the best five eighth at the club right now?

Yes.

Are our fullback stocks better than our five eighth stocks?

Yes.

There's your answer.

This post.

Last edited by a moderator:

I agree with this but Hunt is outplaying milford in the halves with his running game so we should move Hunt to fullback because he will be the best by far on this logic, I think the issue is Milford and the left side. Milford going to the line and not taking 2 or 3 players with him and getting monster by the defence. We should get the left to play more set plays where he can relax and when instinct kicks in run.

No the issue is that Milford doesn't have the playmaking skills to be a half. I'd actually put Nikorima their, who looks more natural at passing and kicking, and have Milford at fullback. Everytime Milford has played well its been from fullback, even in the under 20's origin. Nikorima recently revealed that during their junior footy battles, Milford basically destroyed Nikorima's team by himself when he played fullback.

Milford is a guy who thrives in open space being asked to create space for others. A lack of perceived alternatives for the six Jersey doesn't change this fact.

I do think Milford will grow into the role. But however many years that takes to fully develop is years he could have spent becoming an ever stronger fullback.

Where in a bit of a sticky situation with Boyd due to be back and Milford not showing any signs of improving at five-eighth. Initially I wanted to see how Milford goes at five-eighth with Boyd at fullback, but I think Milford's confidence is shot, and playing five-eighth is beyond him.

I'd personally play Milford at fullback, and play Ashley Taylor at five-eighth alongside Hunt. I legitimately think Taylor would be the best five-eighth we'd have since Locky retired. I know he plays halfback in the NYC, but I think he would be even better at five-eighth complimenting Hunt. He has class and seems to have a lot time. He can pass, kick, organise and he can seriously play. Plus he traditionally plays on the left, which would make the transition into first grade a lot easier.

All this move Milford to fullback and he will kill it again. Maybe it is not his position that is the problem.

Milford is a guy who thrives in open space being asked to create space for others. A lack of perceived alternatives for the six Jersey doesn't change this fact.

I do think Milford will grow into the role. But however many years that takes to fully develop is years he could have spent becoming an ever stronger fullback.

Exactly. He need's to be put into space, not create space for others. Milford in peak form at fullback would always be better than Milford in peak form at five eighth. Taylor is our man. He is the most natural playmaker we have besides Hunt. I'd hate to lose him because of Wayne's stubbornness to keep persisting with Milford at five-eighth just to accommodate Boyd at fullback. I'm sure the Titans will be circling due to the DCE drama unfolding.

I'm a fan of playing players where they have excelled at. For mine Milford excelled at fullback, so we should play him there. Copley excelled at left centre, so we should play him there. Reed excelled in Queensland Cup, so we should play him there. It's pretty simple really.

I don't think it's as black and white as people make out.

Say Milford does play fullback. Was he the perfect fullback? No, it was clear he had issues he had to work on there as well and while he's working on his issues, what's he doing to work on his playmaking abilities? Is he giving those as much attention as he would at five eighth?

Hmmm...

At the end of the day, a decision was made last year. Most fans made their minds up then and nothing has happened which has really swayed one person one way or another.

I don't think it's as black and white as people make out.

Say Milford does play fullback. Was he the perfect fullback? No, it was clear he had issues he had to work on there as well and while he's working on his issues, what's he doing to work on his playmaking abilities? Is he giving those as much attention as he would at five eighth?

Hmmm...

At the end of the day, a decision was made last year. Most fans made their minds up then and nothing has happened which has really swayed one person one way or another.

I still find it interesting that Milford was recruited as our next 5/8 apparently while Hook was still coaching, before Bennett signed, before Boyd signed and while we had really serious issues with FB last year, and Barba wasn't exactly a total failure at 5/8, and we had a raft of young talent in the halves.

For mine, it's a slap in the face to our young halves like Ash Taylor, ignores the FB issue, ignores Milford's great form at the back where we needed him (before Bennett Boyd) and I am still mystified with this relentless obsession to make Milford into the next Lockyer

Totally disagree. Playing him at 5/8 was a mistake.

All the brilliance can be done as a FB, same as Slater, Moylan, Inglis. Milford is not ready, and won't be for a few seasons, as a 5/8. That he has been selected there, and all the ongoing justifications are excuses and wishful thinking. He is too immature for 5/8.

As Alec posted, not in these words, he is at his best as a 2nd 5/8 from the back - running rampant and play making with time and room and in his comfort zone until he gains confidence and experience, which will be helped enormously by his running game yielding results - again, like Slater, Moylan, Inglis.

I'd rather see Milf strutting his stuff as a play making FB and say Ash Taylor or Hunt playing 5/8.

Yes, it won't happen, and yes, this debate is stale, and yes, he will always be stuck at 5/8 and we will just have to wait and listen to all the justifications and excuses as we hope for miracles.

Milford is our 5/8. However, I don't have to like it or agree with the selection. It is just wrong wrong wrong
Did you notice that in that highlights reel he often has the 6 on his back?

If Big Pete is correct, and i dont think he is, in saying milf is the best 6 at our club, then the broncos are in deep shit. He is playing like shit. Boyd has shown more in his career so far to suggest he is a better 6. The way i see it, we are winning games without a 6 right now. Milf is offering nothing at 6 that boyd, hodges, kahu, copley, taylor or niko couldnt. So why not throw one of them there so we can get milf at the back.

1. Milf
6. Literally anyone

is far superior to

1. Maranta / Kahu
6. Milford doing jack shit

At the moment all of our attack relies on hunt. If he gets injured we will not win a game.

He's gone from a joke of a club vying for the spoon on an annual basis with average crowds under 10k, to the biggest sport club in the country. That alone has to be affecting him.

EDIT: My biggest gripe is that he's being confined to the left, hopefully that changes when Boyd returns.

Last edited:
He's gone from a joke of a club vying for the spoon on an annual basis with average crowds under 10k, to the biggest sport club in the country. That alone has to be affecting him.

Let alone trying to be forced to be the next Lockyer. Just let the kid play football without having to worry about organising the team. He's not a natural half. Play him at fullback and watch him get back to his best. This little stint at five-eighth has probably made him a better fullback anyway.

Let alone trying to be forced to be the next Lockyer. Just let the kid play football without having to worry about organising the team. He's not a natural half. Play him at fullback and watch him get back to his best. This little stint at five-eighth has probably made him a better fullback anyway.

Then, down the track, when hes older, more experienced and even more rounded as a player, move him to 6 and watch him dominate like Lockyer.

If Big Pete is correct, and i dont think he is, in saying milf is the best 6 at our club, then the broncos are in deep shit. He is playing like shit. Boyd has shown more in his career so far to suggest he is a better 6. The way i see it, we are winning games without a 6 right now. Milf is offering nothing at 6 that boyd, hodges, kahu, copley, taylor or niko couldnt. So why not throw one of them there so we can get milf at the back.

1. Milf
6. Literally anyone

is far superior to

1. Maranta / Kahu
6. Milford doing jack shit

At the moment all of our attack relies on hunt. If he gets injured we will not win a game.
Your assertion that milford Is " playing like shit" is wrong. Yes he had an ordinary mistake ridden game that's all.

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • davidp
  • winslow_wong
  • Sproj
  • Redux
  • Gaz
  • Jazza
  • Battler
  • LittleDavey
  • Jason Simmons
  • Tim K
  • Waynesaurus
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Muros
  • bert_lifts
  • Tmac
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Financeguy
  • phoenix
... and 24 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.