"Milf will be like Locky" - Bennett

Re: Round 8 - Broncos vs Eels

Totally disagree. Playing him at 5/8 was a mistake.

All the brilliance can be done as a FB, same as Slater, Moylan, Inglis. Milford is not ready, and won't be for a few seasons, as a 5/8. That he has been selected there, and all the ongoing justifications are excuses and wishful thinking. He is too immature for 5/8.

As Alec posted, not in these words, he is at his best as a 2nd 5/8 from the back - running rampant and play making with time and room and in his comfort zone until he gains confidence and experience, which will be helped enormously by his running game yielding results - again, like Slater, Moylan, Inglis.

I'd rather see Milf strutting his stuff as a play making FB and say Ash Taylor or Hunt playing 5/8.

Yes, it won't happen, and yes, this debate is stale, and yes, he will always be stuck at 5/8 and we will just have to wait and listen to all the justifications and excuses as we hope for miracles.

Milford is our 5/8. However, I don't have to like it or agree with the selection. It is just wrong wrong wrong

Just so I'm clear you believe that Milford is too immature to play 6 yet you somehow think that Taylor would be more mature?

That may have been true in the first half Battler, but he was roaming a lot more in the second and I think he's been popping up across the field as much as you'd expect a half to do.

Queensland - It should go without saying but if you can't name an alternative then you have no idea what you're talking about. All well and good to have the opinion that Milford should be No. 1 but if your answer is 'literally anyone else' then maybe you should do some research because your post isn't constructive in the slightest.

The over reactions make any discussion pointless. Milf had a bad game with the dropsies but did some great things with his passing and short kicking game. Prior to this game he had been going fine and getting better each game.

People that want him at fullback ignore the positives and what annoys me no end is if he made those same mistakes last night but playing fullback, every one that wants him there would ignore them.

That may have been true in the first half Battler, but he was roaming a lot more in the second and I think he's been popping up across the field as much as you'd expect a half to do.

Queensland - It should go without saying but if you can't name an alternative then you have no idea what you're talking about. All well and good to have the opinion that Milford should be No. 1 but if your answer is 'literally anyone else' then maybe you should do some research because your post isn't constructive in the slightest.

It is constructive! I am saying "literally anyone" because atm, Milford is a passenger and it may as well be peter wallace, shane perry or stu kelly playing at 6. It doesnt matter who is there when they arent doing anything! What im saying is that we could put boyd there, kahu there, niko there or even taylor there and we would get more out of the 1 and 6 than we are now. Milford at 1 is the best attack we can possibly have in our team. He is doing SFA at 6 now, so what harm can it do by blooding Taylor, or giving boyd a crack at 6 when hes back? Milford's class at 1 will bring more attack to the team than we have right now.

Everyone saying we need to play milf at 6 because we dont have alternatives is just making excuses for the selection. We do have alternatives and they are probably going to be just as effective. So why not put Taylor there and take advantage of having one of the best fullbacks in the game!

Last edited:
We'll never know if he would be making the same mistakes, but he'd definitely have a lot less pressure on him and he could play more to his instincts.

I get that people are saying we have no other options in the halves...I just think it's completely wrong to think that just in terms of Milford himself, he belongs there more than fullback.

The over reactions make any discussion pointless. Milf had a bad game with the dropsies but did some great things with his passing and short kicking game. Prior to this game he had been going fine and getting better each game.

People that want him at fullback ignore the positives and what annoys me no end is if he made those same mistakes last night but playing fullback, every one that wants him there would ignore them.

LOL

We'll never know if he would be making the same mistakes, but he'd definitely have a lot less pressure on him and he could play more to his instincts.

I get that people are saying we have no other options in the halves...I just think it's completely wrong to think that just in terms of Milford himself, he belongs there more than fullback.

Yeh, this whole "we have no alternatives" is a massive cop out. Hodges played 6 last year and did a pretty damn good job. Much better than when he plays fullback. Hodges is an alternative so why cant he play 6?

Moylan has a better passing and kicking game than milford right now but do you see the panthers moving him to 6 even when both soward and wallace are out? They have played a 2nd rower, and a hooker there before moving moylan. You know why? Because moylan plays best at fullback and even though they have to run with a weak halves pairing, it ensures they get the best from their most lethal player. Thats what we should be doing. Put our most dangerous weapon where he is the most dangerous.

If it were Taylor who came into the 6, I think the one who would really have less pressure on him is Ben Hunt. Hunt is obviously capable of doing it all, as we saw last year when he had Hoffman with him. But frankly he's never really had a natural half along side him, someone else who can organise and take responsibility for long kicks etc.

Hoping Milford can get there by season's end, because just like JT has never won a premiership alone, neither will we with just Hunt. Even if Milford can't be as good as he was at fullback at five eight, he needs to at least be Shane Perry like in the 6.

Which, to clarify, is not me saying that Perry is a better player than Milford. Just that he does a lot better job of complementing his main halves partner than what Milford currently is.

I'll say this once again, the "Milford should be moved to Fullback" argument is basically invalid at the moment, he's put on way too much weight this season to just shift straight back there and be quick enough to be as dominant as he was last season. Just watching that video that Pete posted, you can tell that he's still about the same speed over 10 metres, but his step is way less potent and he's not quite as fast over long distance, both of which are super important for a Fullback.

I haven't been un-impressed with his short passing and short kicking game so far this season, they are both probably better than Ben Hunt's.. For him to develop in to the Five-Eighth we need, we need him to take more pressure off Hunt with controlling the tempo of the game and helping out with more of the play-making duties so that Hunt can play his natural running game without being absolutely exhausted from having to take every 5th tackle kick.

The only thing that's been a massive let down from Milford so far this season has been his ball handling, it's atrocious, he's lacking some serious confidence at the moment, also, he's not finding (or looking to find) the small holes that he has for the last couple of years, this is because of a combination of things..

A) Teams had no idea who he was or what he capable of last year (a la Barba 2012), they're smarter this year and are focusing more on shutting him down before he even has a chance to create a half break.

B) He's put on a few kilo's to help him defensively (Which has helped I might add, he has made some decent defensive plays)

C) He has absolutely nobody running down the left hand side who is a threat to the defense, therefore they can all converge on him (If a defense has Milford, Maranta & Reed running a set play down the left hand side of the field, who do you think they're going to smother?)

I'm expecting him to get more opportunities in attack once Boyd is back and we eventually get someone with more attacking prowess on the left hand side than Jack Reed, it's also going to take a fair bit more time for him to get all the combinations working down that side of the field, especially now that Glenn is out who he was starting to hit with some sweet short balls.

It is constructive! I am saying "literally anyone" because atm, Milford is a passenger and it may as well be peter wallace, shane perry or stu kelly playing at 6. It doesnt matter who is there when they arent doing anything! What im saying is that we could put boyd there, kahu there, niko there or even taylor there and we would get more out of the 1 and 6 than we are now. Milford at 1 is the best attack we can possibly have in our team. He is doing SFA at 6 now, so what harm can it do by blooding Taylor, or giving boyd a crack at 6 when hes back? Milford's class at 1 will bring more attack to the team than we have right now.

Everyone saying we need to play milf at 6 because we dont have alternatives is just making excuses for the selection. We do have alternatives and they are probably going to be just as effective. So why not put Taylor there and take advantage of having one of the best fullbacks in the game!

What are you basing this on?

If any of that was true, wouldn't you think Milford's ability at fullback would have resulted in better results than 13th and 15th place respectively?

You've put Milford at fullback on an unrealistic pedestal and you're willing to sacrifice key positions to accommodate someone who doesn't have the best track record to begin with.

The original point was that Milford is the best five eighth at the club.

You honestly believe Kahu, Boyd, Hodges, Kodi Nikorima and Ash Taylor are better?

Pull the other one.

Honest question so I expect an honest answer. How much of Ash Taylor have you actually seen?

You're entitled to your view but geez by comparison I'd much rather Bennett's opinion than yours. At least it's based on reality.

Honest question so I expect an honest answer. How much of Ash Taylor have you actually seen?

zoGOIek.jpg

Just on Taylor, from what I've seen, he can obviously attack and 1910 has complimented his recent defence so I would be curious to see how he'd go in ISC for a game or two against men.

Just beware, some guys are perfectly suited to QLD Cup but just can't seem to make the transition to the NRL - Capewell is a perfect example of this.

There's nothing wrong with that and they can be called up as a depth player during an injury crisis but don't expect someone, especially a half, to fill a perceived void and play consistently to Broncos standards.

Last edited:

Active Now

• davidp
  • Sproj
  • LittleDavey
  • Jazza
  • Gaz
  • Jason Simmons
  • Battler
  • Redux
  • Tim K
  • winslow_wong
  • Waynesaurus
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Muros
  • bert_lifts
  • Tmac
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Financeguy
  • phoenix
  • Browny
... and 24 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.